Need a side that will complement any dish at a BBQ? Our Baby Red Potato Salad is very light, creamy, and zesty-delicious! It’s perfect for summer BBQs, picnics, or potluck. With fresh ingredients and 10 minutes to boil the potatoes, it makes a quick, flavorful side dish your whole family will love!
The official summer kickoff is this weekend and it calls for delicious baby red potato salad!
So why not make a potato salad everyone will love?
Most potato salads are loaded with tons of mayo, sour cream, or buttermilk – but not this one!
Ours is made with extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, a little dijon mustard, fresh dill, and lemon juice. Plus, a touch of mayo and sour cream to make it creamy delicious!
Most Italian salads are considered healthy, especially if they are not loaded or weighed down with a ton of mayonnaise. Like our mom’s recipe for Easy Italian Macaroni Salad or her Italian Potato Salad, along with her Potato and Green Bean Salad just to name a few. 😉
How to make our Baby Red Potato Salad?
Once you have the basic ingredients, all you need to do is:
1. Boil the potatoes (whole) for about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, then cut them into smaller pieces.
2. Toss them with a few chopped vegetables and our zesty vinaigrette.
3. Allow the salad to chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour or more before serving.
Baby Red Potato Salad makes the perfect side for burgers, any grilled meats, chicken, or fish.
Tangy, flavorful, and creamy delicious. And easy to make!
Not loaded with a ton of mayo or buttermilk, making this one much lighter with fewer calories and fat too.
For this recipe, you will need:
24-ounces (680/grams) package of baby red potatoes
…for our simple vinaigrette:
You will need the basics, such as extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, a little dijon mustard, fresh herbs, and lemon juice.
*Full recipe card below!
How to Make Baby Red Potato Salad:
1. Place the potatoes into a medium-size pot filled with water. Bring water to a full boil, and boil the potatoes for 5 to 8 minutes, or until you can easily slide a knife through one potato. Drain and allow the potatoes to cool for a few minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prep and chop all the vegetables.
3. Then cut each potato into quarters and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Add all the chopped vegetables. To make chopping the veggies a breeze, I use an electric mini chopper and pulse a few times. It works like magic!
4. In a small dish, whisk the ingredients for the dressing. Pour it over the potatoes and gently toss to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasonings. Cover and chill before serving.
Are baby red potatoes healthy?
The answer is yes. All red potatoes are extremely healthy because of their thin, nutrient-filled skins, which are loaded with B vitamins, iron, potassium, and fiber. Most of the fiber of a potato comes from the skin.
No need to peel the skins, making this salad even easier to whip up! 😉
What to serve with this baby red potato salad?
Can we make it our own?
Yes, indeed! You can easily adapt this recipe to make it your own, and load it up with:
some crumbled bacon
chopped dill pickles
Making homemade baby red potato salad is always better (and healthier) than buying it already premade from any Deli department.
Which by the way, when you purchase any “premade” potato salad from any deli section (in a supermarket), take a good look at the label. You will see unwanted ingredients, additives, corn syrups, and sugars. YUK!
Best of all, one serving of our baby red potato salad – is only 131 calories!! 🙂 …. woohoo!!
Try this version and let us know what you think!
… thanks for Pinning!
Most of our (Italian-style) salads are “veggie-loaded” and mostly dairy-free!
You may enjoy these “dairy-free” salads, try them!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 24-ounces (680/grams) baby red potatoes
- 1/2 cup celery - chopped (1 stalk)
- 1/2 cup fennel- chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion - chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice ( juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried or fresh dill
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- freshly chopped parsley, as garnish
- Rinse the baby potatoes and place them into a medium-size pot filled with water. Add one teaspoon of salt to the water. Bring water to a full boil, and boil the potatoes for 5 minutes, or until you can easily slide a knife through one potato. Drain and allow the potatoes to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep and chop all the vegetables.
- On a cutting board, cut each potato into quarters and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Add all the chopped vegetables.
- In a small dish, whisk the ingredients for the dressing. Pour it over the potatoes and gently toss to combine.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings for salt and black pepper to your taste. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle on top with some freshly chopped parsley. Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Serves 6 to 8 servings
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 3.7gCarbohydrates: 2.6gFiber: .6gSugar: .8gProtein: .4g
Any questions? Ask away! If you try our Baby Red Potato Salad recipe, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating. It’s so helpful to other readers to read your results, adaptations, and ideas for variations.
For more delicious recipes and ideas, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Have fun and snap a photo and share it on Pinterest, be sure to tag us #2sistersrecipes and on Instagram @2sistersrecipes.
We’d love to see and share what you cook. 🙂
And, don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Weekly Newsletter Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes FREE every time we post a new recipe and reminders of great older ones. This recipe is original and adapted from our mom.
Stay Healthy and Happy Cooking!! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz