How To Grill Flank Steak? Grilled Flank Steak with Olive Oil & Garlic always turns out moist, tender, and very flavorful. This flank steak is marinated with a simple marinade (the Italian way!), then grilled and served with caramelized onions on top. Mmm… It’s TOTALLY Delicious! If you enjoy a grilled flank steak on the barbecue, then this recipe is for you.
What is a Flank Steak?
A flank steak is a piece of meat located directly under the loin. It is a lean, thick, and wide cut of meat. The cuts from the flank tend to be tough, but very flavorful when it is properly cooked or grilled.
How to Grill Flank Steak?
Before grilling a flank steak, there are a few important tips to remember:
First, it’s important to allow the meat to warm up to room temperature for at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes before you grill it.
It’s equally important to heat up your outside grill until it’s extremely hot before you place the meat on it, at least 10 minutes or more.
Flank steaks are never the same thickness on both ends. But it’s a good idea to ask for one that has at least 1-inch thick on one end.
It’s best to allow the flank steak to marinate for at least 30 to 45 minutes with our simple marinade before grilling it. And in the meantime, cook the onions until they are softened and caramelized.
Unlike other steaks and meats that are thicker, flank steaks always grill in less time.
Also, adding butter on top of the flank steak and sprinkling additional garlic powder while it is grilling and almost ready is important to give the meat more flavor.
How to Grill Frank Steak with Olive Oil & Garlic?
* Follow along with our step-by-step directions, or jump down to the bottom for our full recipe card.
1. First, season the flank steak generously with salt and black pepper. Next, drizzle the olive oil on the bottom of a large plastic container or baking dish that will fit the meat.
2. Then sprinkle garlic powder over the olive oil. Place the steak into the olive oil.
3. Sprinkle over the meat with additional garlic powder. Set it aside and allow the meat to marinate for 30 minutes or more.
4. In the meantime, cook the onions in a large skillet with a little olive oil and butter, over moderate heat and on the stovetop. Stirring occasionally, cook until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 12 to 18 minutes.
5. Season with some salt and black pepper to taste. Turn off the heat, and cover with a lid to keep warm.
6. Heat up the outside grill until it’s extremely hot. Place the meat onto the grill. Then lower the heat to medium heat. Cook the steak for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Then flip over the steak and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add more garlic powder to the meat.
8. Next, flip it over again and add 2 tablespoons of butter on top. Allow the butter to melt, while you cook the meat for additional 2 minutes.
9. Again, flip over the steak one last time and top it with additional 2 tablespoons of butter and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
The total time is about 10 minutes to cook for medium, depending on your grill. (Flipping it over 4 times, grilling each time for about 2 to 2.5 minutes).
10. Remove the meat and allow it to sit on a cutting board for a few minutes before serving. Spoon over the steak with caramelized onions. Then slice on a slight angle and serve immediately.
What to do with leftovers?
Chop up the steak and place them on top of a bed of lettuce for a delicious salad the next day!
Make a sandwich with leftover sliced steak for lunch, and top it with your favorite toppings like lettuce, tomato, and onions.
What sides to serve with our grilled flank steak?
- Italian Tomato Salad
- Green Beans and Carrot Salad – Italian Style!
- Easy Italian Potato Salad
- Drunken Baked Beans Casserole
Grilled Flank Steak with this simple marinade always turns out great and very flavorful.
A delicious steak to serve family and friends, and less expensive than other cuts of meat.
Serve this flank steak with any of our 13 Fast & Easy Salads, and our Drunken Baked Beans Casserole, along with some crusty bread for a delicious dinner.
A great wine to pair with our grilled flank steak, we recommend a deep red wine like a Cabernet, a Merlot, or a Malbec.
This is an easy recipe to enjoy this cut of meat. Try it!
And finally, you might enjoy these additional recipes!
- Turkey Burgers with Fresh Tzatziki Sauce
- Lamb Chops Grilled to Perfection!
- Sausage Links Grilled Perfectly
- 5 Barbecue Sauces to Make This Summer!
- Filet Mignon with Cognac Peppercorn Sauce
- London Broil Steak Grilled To Perfection!
For more TIPS, plus a GUIDE to help you grill steaks perfectly, here is a link to How To Grill Steak Perfectly.
- 1 Flank Steak (about 1.5 pounds) at least 1-inch thick
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 2 tsp. garlic powder - divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 to 6 Tbsp. butter - divided
- 2 ex-large yellow onions - peeled and chopped
- First, remove the flank steak from the packaging. Generously season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Grab a baking tray or a large container. Drizzle on the bottom with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and scatter with about 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. Place the flank steak on top of the olive oil.
- Then drizzle additional olive oil over the flank steak and sprinkle an additional teaspoon of garlic powder. Set it aside, and allow the steak to sit at room temperature to marinate for at least 30 minutes or more.
To Cook The Onions:
- In the meantime, in a large skillet, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook the onions over moderate heat, for about 10 minutes or more, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook them until they turn golden brown. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Turn off the heat under the onions, and cover them with a lid, to keep them warm.
When Ready to Grill the Flank Steak:
- Heat the grill outside for about 10 to 15 minutes. Once the grill is extremely hot (should read about 600 degrees on the BBQ Thermometer) place the steak onto the grill and lower the heat to medium heat. Leave the lid open.
- Cook the flank steak for 2 + 1/2 minutes, then flip over the meat and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle over the meat, and any remaining olive oil marinade from the container. Then drizzle with a little more garlic powder.
- Flip the steak again to the other side and cook for additional 2 minutes add 2 tablespoons of butter on top.
- Then flip over one last time and add additional 2 tablespoons of butter on top and continue to cook the steak for 2 to 3 minutes more. Total about 10 minutes for medium, and a few more minutes for well done.
- Remove the steak and allow it to sit on a cutting board for a few minutes before carving and serving.
- Spoon the caramelized onions over the entire steak. Then carve the meat at a slight angle. Slice thinly and serve immediately.
- Serves 6
Serving Size:1 serving ( 4 ounces)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 26.5gCarbohydrates: 5.4gProtein: 32.3g