Grilled Flank Steak with Olive Oil & Garlic always turns out moist, tender, and very flavorful. This flank steak is marinated with a simple marinade (the Italian way!), then grilled and served with caramelized onions on top. Mmm… It’s TOTALLY Delicious! If you enjoy a grilled flank steak on the barbecue, then this recipe is for you.
Here are some tips for our Grilled Flank Steak with Olive Oil and Garlic:
First, it’s important to allow the meat to warm up to room temperature for at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes before you grill it.
It’s equally important to heat up your outside grill until it’s extremely hot before you place the meat on it, at least 10 minutes or more.
Flank steaks are never the same thickness on both ends. But it’s a good idea to ask for one that has at least 1-inch thick on one end.
It’s best to allow the flank steak to marinate for at least 30 to 45 minutes with our simple marinade before grilling it. And in the meantime, cook the onions until they are softened and caramelized.
Unlike other steaks and meats that are thicker, flank steaks always grill in less time.
Also, adding butter on top of the flank steak and sprinkling additional garlic powder while it is grilling and almost ready is important to give the meat more flavor.
Grilled Flank Steak with this simple marinade always turns out great and very flavorful.
Serve this flank steak with any of our 13 Fast & Easy Salads, and our Drunken Baked Beans Casserole, along with some crusty bread for a delicious dinner.
Also, pair grilled flank steak with a great wine for a complete and amazing meal. A deep red wine like a Cabernet, a Merlot, or a Malbec would go perfectly with this grilled flank steak.
* You can follow along below with our step-by-step directions on this recipe, or jump down to the bottom for our recipe card.
1. First, season the flank steak generously with salt and black pepper. Next, drizzle with the olive oil on the bottom of a large plastic container or baking dish that will fit the meat. Then sprinkle with garlic powder over the olive oil. Place the steak onto the olive oil.
2. Sprinkle over the meat with additional garlic powder. Set it aside and allow the meat to marinate for 30 minutes or more.
3. In the meantime, cook the onions in a large skillet with a little olive oil and butter, over moderate heat and on the stovetop. Stirring occasionally, cook until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 12 to 18 minutes. Season with some salt and black pepper to taste. Turn off heat, cover with a lid to keep warm.
4. Heat up the outside grill until it’s extremely hot. Place the meat onto the grill. Then lower the heat to medium heat. Cook the steak for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Then flip over the steak and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add more garlic powder to the meat. Then flip it over again and add 2 tablespoons of butter on top. Allow the butter to melt, while you cook the meat for additional 2 minutes.
6. Then flip it over the meat one last time and top with additional 2 tablespoons of butter and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Total time is about 10 minutes to cook for medium, depending on your grill. (Flipping it over 4 times, grilling each time for about 2 to 2.5 minutes).
7. Remove the meat and allow it to sit on a cutting board for a few minutes before serving. Spoon over the steak with caramelized onions. Then slice on a slight angle and serve immediately.
What sides to serve with our Grilled Flank Steak?
What to do with leftovers?
Chop up the steak and place them on top of a bed of lettuce for a delicious salad the next day!
Make a sandwich with leftover sliced steak for lunch, and top it with your favorite toppings like lettuce, tomato, and onions.
And finally, you might enjoy these additional recipes!
For more TIPS, plus a GUIDE to help you grill steaks perfectly, try our post on How To Grill Steak Perfectly.
That’s it friends!
If you try our recipe for Grilled Flank Steak with olive oil & garlic, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating below! We’d love to hear from you! Sharing your experience and insights will not only help all our readers, but it will help us too.
For more delicious dinner ideas, follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 Flank Steak (about 1.5 pounds) at least 1-inch thick
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 2 tsp. garlic powder - divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 to 6 Tbsp. butter - divided
- 2 ex-large yellow onions - peeled and chopped
- First, remove the flank steak from the packaging. Generously season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Grab a baking tray or a large container. Drizzle on the bottom with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and scatter with about 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. Place the flank steak on top of the olive oil.
- Then drizzle with additional olive oil over the flank steak and sprinkle an additional teaspoon of garlic powder. Set it aside, and allow the steak to sit at room temperature to marinate for at least 30 minutes or more.
To Cook The Onions:
- In the meantime, in a large skillet, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook the onions over moderate heat, for about 10 minutes or more, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook then until they turn golden brown. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Turn off the heat under the onions, and cover with a lid, to keep warm.
When Ready to Grill the Flank Steak:
- Heat the grill outside for about 10 to 15 minutes. Once the grill is extremely hot (should read about 600 degrees on the BBQ Thermometer) place the meat onto the grill and lower the heat to medium-heat. Leave the lid open.
- Cook the flank steak for 2 + 1/2 minutes, then flip over the meat and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle over the meat, any remaining olive oil marinade from the container. Then drizzle with a little more garlic powder.
- Flip the steak again to the other side and cook for additional 2 minutes and add 2 tablespoons of butter on top.
- Then flip over one last time and add additional 2 tablespoons of butter on top and continue to cook the steak for 2 to 3 minutes more. Total about 10 minutes for medium, and few more minutes for well done.
- Remove the steak and allow it to sit on a cutting board for a few minutes before carving and serving.
- Spoon the caramelized onions over the entire steak. Then carve the meat on a slight angle. Slice thinly and serve immediately.
- Serves 6
Serving Size:1 serving ( 4 ounces)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 26.5gCarbohydrates: 5.4gProtein: 32.3g