Filet Mignon with Cognac Peppercorn Sauce will give you the perfect recipe for two every time! These filet mignons, (aka Au Poivre) are seasoned with peppercorns and salt, then grilled to your taste and served with a creamy cognac peppercorn sauce on top.
An elegant dish for steak is easy to enjoy on a date night, or on special occasions.
Filet Mignon with Cognac Peppercorn Sauce…
This is finest dish you can make to impress your loved one.
When choosing the “best of the best” in steaks, choose filet mignon. Filet mignon is the most tender cut of beef you can buy.
Reasons to Choose the BEST of the BEST!
- This boneless section has a melt-in-your-mouth quality and buttery texture that has earned it the title ” king of steaks.”
- It’s also one of the most expensive cuts of meat, but they’re worth it!
- Grilling them is the best way to cook them. They always turn out super moist, juicy, and very tender with every bite.
- Topped with a decadent cream sauce like this cognac peppercorn sauce made with shallots, peppercorns, cognac, and cream takes this dish to a whole new level!
What is Cognac Peppercorn Sauce?
This recipe features a cognac peppercorn sauce, also known in French as “au poive.” It is a sauce made with shallots, some heavy cream, cognac and peppercorns, and it’s simmered until it thickens.
It’s nothing fancy, just a simple, flavorful cream sauce that makes a very elegant presentation.
How to Make Filet Mignon with Cognac Peppercorn Sauce?
There are 3 simple steps to this recipe:
STEP 1: SEASON THE STEAKS…
First, season the steaks with salt and peppercorns, and set them aside to warm up to room temperature, at least 20 to 30 minutes. Then take a look at our chart for some helpful tips on How to Grill Steak Perfectly.
STEP 2: MAKE THE COGNAC PEPPECORN SAUCE…
Meanwhile, let’s get started on making the cognac peppercorn sauce.
1. In a medium-size skillet, sauté the shallots until they soften on low heat, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cognac and additional peppercorns.
2. Pour in the cream and simmer until the sauce thickens about 3 to 5 minutes.
*QUICK NOTE: If the cognac peppercorn sauce gets too thick, you can add in some beef stock until you reach your desired consistency. Leave in the skillet to keep warm.
STEP 3: GRILL THE STEAKS…
- First, heat the grill or your cast iron skillet. Make sure your outside grill or skillet is extremely hot before you add the steaks. Next, add the steaks and grill your filet mignons to your taste: either rare, medium, or well done. There is a chart for grilling indoor to help, click Here.
- Top each steak with some butter. Keep in mind, when grilling, the outside of the filet mignon may be charred, while the inside meat will be very tender and juicy. (*full recipe card below!)
- Serve on individual dinner plates or in a serving platter.
- Finally, spoon the rich cream sauce over the filet mignons and serve immediately.
How perfect is that steak? .. oh and it’s SO Delicious!
Cook’s Notes and Tips for Success!
- Meat Thermometer: It is best to invest in a good meat thermometer if you don’t have one. This will ensure the steak will always turn out to your preference every time.
- The Butter: It’s best to top your steaks with a little butter, while grilling. It makes a huge difference in flavor, making them juicy and tender – so don’t leave it out.
What Temperature To Read on the Thermometer?
- For Rare: 115 -120 F degrees,
- Medium Rare: 120 – 125 degrees,
- Medium: 130 – 135 degrees F.
Options for Sides to Serve…
And for roasted vegetables, try our Roasted Baby Red and Yukon Potatoes or our Roasted Asparagus.
Anyone of these sides would go perfectly with our Filet Mignon recipe.
Filet Mignon with Cognac Peppercorn Sauce turns out great every time!
This recipe is relatively easy. Get inspired, and try this recipe!
Our recipe for Filet Mignon with Cognac Peppercorn Sauce was inspired by our dear friends Christine and Cesare from New York. They prepare this dish every time we get together; it happens to be one of the best steak dishes to serve for a small soiree.
Filet Mignon with Cognac Peppercorn Sauce is definitely a keeper!
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
…Thanks for PINNING!
A few more delicious recipes!
- The Perfect Filet Mignon Roast.
- London Broil Steak Grilled To Perfection!
- Beef Tenderloin Roast Recipe
- Grilled Lamb Chops to Perfection.
And for more Great Tips! …check out our post on How To Grill Steak Perfectly!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 2 ( 4 to 6 ounces each) lean Filet Mignon steaks (about 1.5 -inches thick)
- 1 Tbsp. mixed peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, and extra
Cognac Peppercorn Sauce:
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots or one small onion-finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Cognac
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. or more beef stock (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- Scatter some salt and peppercorns onto each steak, and press down on the peppercorns so that it adheres well, and set aside at room temperature to warm up for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cream sauce. Using a medium-size non-stick skillet, add the butter and shallots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until softened. Add the Cognac and one teaspoon of peppercorns to the skillet. Simmer for a minute or two until it reduces.
- Pour in heavy cream and simmer on lowest heat, stirring until it thickens about 2 to 3 minutes. BE careful NOT to bring to a boil (to prevent it from curdle).
- Turn off heat. As the cream sauce sits, it will continue to thicken. If the sauce becomes too thick, just stir in some beef stock, about 1 to 2 tablespoons to reach the desired consistency.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or a cast-iron skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, spray it generously with cooking spray and add the steaks, peppercorn side down.
- Cook the filet mignon steaks for about 3 to 4 minutes (depending on how rare or medium you prefer). Add the butter on top of each one and flip over the steaks to cook on the other side for the additional 3 to 4 minutes. Top with another slice of butter on top.
- Remove steaks and transfer to a warm serving platter or to individual dinner plates.
- Spoon creamy peppercorn sauce over the filet mignon steaks.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 2
Serving Size:1 serving (about 4 to 6 ounces)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 34gCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 28g
Hello friends! If you make this delicious filet mignon with cognac peppercorn sauce, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below! Snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram and on Pinterest; be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes.
We’d love to see what you cook!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes “FREE” every time we post a new recipe and reminders of great older ones too. Also, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo anna and liz