Italian Tomato Salad is juicy, flavorful, and easy to whip up! Nowadays, we can find ripe, juicy tomatoes all year round. But, when it comes to making an Italian Tomato Salad, my husband does it best! It’s an amazing low-calorie salad that is wonderful to serve for lunch or dinner anytime!
He makes his tomato salad with red juicy tomatoes, sweet red onions, extra virgin olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
The secret to his salad is layering the ingredients in a particular order, allowing all the flavors to marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature. This method of his allows the flavors to infuse together.
Then he chills the salad before serving.
It makes a huge difference, and his method actually works, creating this refreshing juicy tomato salad that is so flavorful – it’s amazing!
Juicy red tomatoes on-the-vine or fresh tomatoes from the garden are what he prefers to use. These tomatoes are fire red, very flavorful, and high in antioxidants!
They can be found in every fresh market or supermarket this time of year.
There are so many variations to making an Italian Tomato Salad. You can make it adding in some herbs like fresh basil, fresh parsley or dried oregano. You may even enjoy adding in some garlic and olives.
But when it comes to making a really good Italian tomato salad, my husband believes when you use really good quality extra virgin olive oil – imported from Italy, with good quality tomatoes, there is no reason to add anything else!
Serve this easy Italian Tomato Salad to compliment any grilled meat, like our Veal Cutlet Milanese, or Roasted Chicken Thighs, and you’ll have a delicious meal for the entire family!
It won’t disappoint!
…Thanks for Pinning!
Feel free to leave a comment and a star rating below. We’d love to hear from you.
Oh and don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and receive new recipes FREE every time we post!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
- 4 to 5 fresh tomatoes- rinsed, sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion- sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. salt, and extra to taste
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Season with fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Grab a salad bowl. Place the sliced tomatoes on the bottom. Then top the tomatoes with red onions.
- Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of salt over them.
- Then drizzle the olive oil over them on top. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate at room temperature.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 20 minutes, or until you are ready to serve.
- Just before serving, remove salad from the refrigerator.
- Pour in red wine vinegar. Toss and mix well. Taste and season with fresh cracked pepper to taste, and serve.
- Serves 4 to 6