Sicilian Sausage and Peppers is a classic dish that is baked easily in the oven and one your family will love. Sicilian Sausage and Peppers are made with Italian links of sweet sausages grilled until golden brown, then cut into thirds and bake in the oven with sweet onions, red and yellow peppers and extra virgin olive oil until the peppers and onions are caramelized perfectly. Made with 5 main ingredients, Sicilian Sausage and Peppers are easy to prepare as a main course and can become one of the easiest dinners for you to serve every time!
Sicilian Sausage and Peppers is a dish known as Italian “street food.”
Like other ‘street foods’ of Southern Italy, so many of which have turned out to be some of our favorites, such as Best Rice Ball Casserole Stuffed with Meat & Peas, easy Fried Ravioli and even the Muffuletta Sandwich, just to name a few.
Sicilian Sausage and Peppers has become a classic favorite too!
So what is so great about this dish?
The recipe is versatile. You can add more or less sausages, onions and peppers to this recipe, there’s no limit when making this.
Sausage and Peppers never gets old, only better each time you make it. Also, it makes a hearty meal for the family, and light enough to serve during summer. Best of all, it’s inexpensive, and super easy to make and bake!
Flavorful sweet peppers along with onions slowly cooks down to a delicious and juicy texture; they practically melt in your mouth! And, you’ll be surprised how flavorful the sausages turn out in this dish when they are baked with the colorful peppers and onions. Everyone will enjoy every bite!
How to Make Sicilian Sausage and Peppers…
1. Simply slice the onions and peppers and transfer them into a large roasting pan.
2. Next, quickly grill the sausage links on your outside grill or on stove-top in a pan for a few minutes, until they are golden. Remove and cut them into thirds and toss them into the roasting pan with already chopped onions and peppers.
3. Drizzle extra olive oil over them along with some seasonings, toss everything to combine and bake in the oven for about 1 hour. Then remove and serve!
Keep in mind: Cooking times will vary depending on the oven you may have. So it’s best to keep an eye on them.
Cook’s Notes: Partially grilling sausages on the barbecue helps remove some of the fatty grease; and therefore, making this sausage casserole less greasy and more tasty. This will ensure the pork sausages are fully cooked, tastier and leaner for the whole family to enjoy.
Sausage and Peppers is a simple dish yet so delicious it’s a crowd-pleaser and also great to serve at parties. Most of all – this dish is easy on the wallet!
These Sicilian Sausage and Peppers are best served with a loaf of Italian bread and a green salad on the side.
… and Thanks for Pinning!
You might enjoy more recipes for sausages, try these! 🙂
If you make this recipe, leave a comment below and gives us a star rating!
And, for more delicious recipes, follow us on Instagram and on Pinterest. Snap a photo and hashtag us @2sistersrecipes! We’d love to see what you cook! 🙂
Sicilian Sausage and Peppers
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 4 to 6
Sicilian Sausage and Peppers are links of sweet sausages grilled just until golden, then cut into thirds and baked in the oven with sweet onions, colorful peppers and extra virgin olive oil until the peppers and onions are caramelized perfectly. Everyone will go bonkers over this dish!
- 2 to 3 large sweet onions- sliced
- 28 -ounce Mini Sweet peppers, OR 4 large yellow peppers & 3 large reds - sliced
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 5 to 10 links of Sweet Italian Sausage ( I used Trader Joe's)
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil - divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Adjust the racks inside oven to fit your roasting pan on the center rack.
- First, take a large roasting pan and drizzle generously on the bottom with extra virgin olive oil, at least 2 tablespoons. Toss in your sliced onions and colorful sliced peppers. Add salt and garlic powder and set it aside.
- Next, remove sausage links from package and poke each one a few times with a fork. Then place them on your outside grill and grill on medium heat. While you grill them (about 5 minutes), squeeze fresh lemon juice over the links. This will help remove the excess fat along with getting rid of some of the gamy taste from the pork. Grill them just until they are golden brown. They will finish cooking in the oven. Or cook them on stove-top for a few minutes, until they brown.
- Transfer them to a cutting board and cut each link into thirds. Toss them into your prepared roasting pan with onions and peppers.
- Drizzle on top with more extra virgin olive oil.
- Place roasting rack onto the middle rack inside oven.
- BAKE uncovered, for 1 hour total. Check on them after the first ½ hour baking and give them a stir to ensure the peppers on the bottom don't burn. Peppers should be moist and juicy.
- Remove and transfer to a serving dish. Cover them with foil wrap until ready to serve. Serve warm.
- Serves 4 to 6