Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce is a delicious chicken dish cooked in one skillet. Chicken breasts are sauteed until fully cooked and served with a light mustard cream sauce made with 4 ingredients. Mouthwatering and delightful, ready in less than 30 minutes, this chicken dish will make a great dinner.
These days, I’m always looking for new ways to make dinner with chicken breasts or chicken cutlets that are quick, easy, and big on flavor.
I rarely make cream sauces for chicken. But I remembered a chicken dish I had ordered in a little charming bistro restaurant while visiting Prague, it was so delicious, I ordered the same dish every time.
At that moment, I knew I had to try this recipe at home.
Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce is a delicious meal.
I came across this recipe for chicken with mustard cream sauce in an old cookbook, Everyday Food: Great Food Fast. But, of course, I added my own little twist to it, adding in the wine and fresh thyme as the herb.
And let me tell you, it turned out fantastic!
Easy to make, plus it makes an elegant dish. The only thing missing was a glass of Pinot Grigio to go with it!
Serve it with your favorite steamed vegetables. Try it with our roasted baby potatoes as I did here.
This chicken recipe would also be great served with a side of our easy garlic mashed potatoes, or even with our mom’s best-mashed potato pie and spoon some of that amazing cream sauce over them.
Ingredients Needed to Make Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce:
boneless chicken breasts
seasonings: salt and fresh cracked black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
sprigs of fresh thyme
How To Make Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce…
1. First, lightly season the breasts with salt and black pepper.
Add olive oil to an 9 or 10-inch skillet, and add the chicken. Saute the chicken on medium heat until they turn golden brown on both sides, and are fully cooked about 10 to 13 minutes. You may cover your pan with a splatter screen while sauteing to keep the oil from splattering all over.
Remove the chicken and transfer to a serving platter, or to individual dinner plates. Cover with foil wrap to keep warm.
2. Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan.
Stir the wine with a wooden spoon, and deglaze and scrape all the bits on the bottom of the skillet.
Simmer the wine for about 1 minute or so, until it reduces. Then pour in the heavy cream.
3. Add in fresh thyme, and course-ground Dijon mustard.
4. Stir the sauce.
And simmer on low heat for 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens a little.
Turn off the heat and spoon over the chicken. Then serve!
The Dijon wine cream sauce is what makes the chicken so flavorful!
The aromatic flavor that comes from fresh thyme infused with the Dijon mustard along with the cream is the secret to its divine flavors!
Not only is the sauce so flavorful, but it also presents an elegant appearance too! It’s definitely company-worthy.
HERE’S A TIP for Thyme:
To remove thyme leaves from each sprig, hold at the tip of the sprig and pull your fingers down over the stem. The leaves will come right off.
Your family will love this Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce.
This is such a delicious dish! Your family will probably ask you to make it again.
Plus, it’s easy to clean-up! Everything is cooked in one skillet.
This recipe will make three servings, but you can double the recipe easily. Keep in mind, if you do double the portions of chicken, you may want to double the sauce as well, so you can have plenty of cream sauce to spoon over the sides.
Well, what else can I say? A delicious recipe for chicken with a creamy flavorful sauce, making dinner a snap! Heck- what’s not to love!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 16 minutes
Total Time 21 minutes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Dijon Wine Cream Sauce:
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. course ground Dijon mustard
- Lightly pound the chicken breasts a few times. IF they are too thick, you can slice them in half.
- In a medium-size or large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Season the chicken on top with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Use kitchen tongs and place the chicken into the skillet.
- Sauteed chicken in skillet until fully cooked and golden brown on both sides, about 10 to 13 minutes. Chicken is done when firm to the touch. You may want to place a splatter screen on top of the skillet to keep the chicken and oil from splattering. Remove and transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover with foil wrap to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, pour in the white wine and scrape the bottom bits of the skillet with a wooden spoon, and simmer for about 30 seconds. Then pour in the heavy cream, and stir in the fresh thyme.
- Add in the Dijon mustard and stir to combine the sauce. Simmer on low heat for 2 minutes, stirring until sauce thickens a little. Taste the sauce, you can adjust the salt if you need to.
- Transfer chicken breast into each dinner plate. Spoon some of the Dijon Wine Cream Sauce over each chicken breast and serve. Serve the extra Dijon sauce at the table for everyone to enjoy with their sides.
- Serves 3
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 18.8gCarbohydrates: 1.4gFiber: .2gSugar: .2gProtein: 35.6g