Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce is a delicious chicken dish cooked in one skillet. Chicken breasts are sautéed until fully cooked and served with a light mustard cream sauce made with 4 ingredients. Mouthwatering and delightful, and ready in less than 30 minutes, this chicken dish will make a great dinner.
These days, I’m always looking for new ways to make dinner with chicken breasts or chicken cutlets that are quick, easy, and big on flavor.
I rarely make cream sauces for chicken.
But I remembered a chicken dish I had ordered in a little charming bistro restaurant while visiting Prague, it was so delicious, I ordered the same dish every time.
At that moment, I knew I had to try this recipe at home.
Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce is a delicious meal.
I came across this recipe for chicken with mustard cream sauce in an old cookbook, Everyday Food: Great Food Fast. But, of course, I added my own little twist to it, adding in the wine and fresh thyme as the herb.
And let me tell you, it turned out fantastic!
Serve it with your favorite steamed vegetables. Try it with our roasted baby potatoes as I did here. YUM!!
Ingredients Needed to Make Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce…
For our recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- boneless chicken breasts
- seasonings: salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- white wine
- heavy cream
- sprigs of fresh thyme
- course ground Dijon mustard
How to Make Chicken with Dijon Sauce?
There are 4 easy-to-follow steps to this recipe:
1. First STEP: Lightly season the breasts with salt and black pepper.
a.) Add olive oil to an 9 or 10-inch skillet, and add the chicken. Sauté the chicken on medium heat until they turn golden brown on both sides, and are fully cooked about 10 to 13 minutes.
QUICK TIP: You may cover your pan with a splatter screen while sautéing to keep the oil from splattering all over.
b.) Remove the chicken and transfer to a serving platter, or to individual dinner plates. Cover with foil wrap to keep warm.
2. STEP 2: Pour in the wine and deglaze the pan.
Stir the wine with a wooden spoon, and deglaze and scrape all the bits on the bottom of the skillet.
Simmer the wine for about 1 minute or so, until it reduces. Then pour in the heavy cream.
3. STEP 3: Add in fresh thyme, and course-ground Dijon mustard.
QUICK TIP: To remove thyme leaves from each sprig, hold at the tip of the sprig and pull your fingers down over the stem. The leaves will come right off.
4. FINAL STEP 4: Simmer the sauce.
Stir and simmer on low heat for 2 minutes, until the sauce thickens a little. Turn off the heat and spoon over the chicken. Then serve!
Options for sides to serve it with…
- easy garlic mashed potatoes,
- mom’s best mashed potato pie
- roasted baby red & yukon potatoes with herbs
The Dijon wine cream sauce is what makes the chicken so flavorful!
The aromatic flavor that comes from fresh thyme infused with the Dijon mustard along with the cream is the secret to its divine flavors!
Not only is the sauce so flavorful, but it also presents an elegant appearance too! It’s definitely company-worthy.
Your family will love this Chicken with Dijon Wine Cream Sauce.
This is such a delicious dish! Your family will probably ask you to make it again.
- Plus, it’s easy to clean-up!
- Everything is cooked in one skillet.
- Easy to make, plus it makes an elegant dish.
- This recipe will make 3 servings, but you can double the recipe easily.
QUICK NOTE: Keep in mind, if you do double the portions of chicken, you may want to double the sauce as well, so you can have plenty of cream sauce to spoon over the sides.
A delicious recipe for chicken with a creamy flavorful sauce, making dinner a snap!
The only thing missing was a glass of Pinot Grigio to go with it!
Heck- what’s not to love!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Dijon Wine Cream Sauce:
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp. course ground Dijon mustard
- Lightly pound the chicken breasts a few times. IF they are too thick, you can slice them in half.
- In a medium-size or large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Season the chicken on top with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Use kitchen tongs and place the chicken into the skillet.
- Sauteed chicken in skillet until fully cooked and golden brown on both sides, about 10 to 13 minutes. Chicken is done when firm to the touch. You may want to place a splatter screen on top of the skillet to keep the chicken and oil from splattering. Remove and transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover with foil wrap to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, pour in the white wine and scrape the bottom bits of the skillet with a wooden spoon, and simmer for about 30 seconds. Then pour in the heavy cream, and stir in the fresh thyme.
- Add in the Dijon mustard and stir to combine the sauce. Simmer on low heat for 2 minutes, stirring until sauce thickens a little. Taste the sauce, you can adjust the salt if you need to.
- Transfer chicken breast into each dinner plate. Spoon some of the Dijon Wine Cream Sauce over each chicken breast and serve. Serve the extra Dijon sauce at the table for everyone to enjoy with their sides.
- Serves 3
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 18.8gCarbohydrates: 1.4gFiber: .2gSugar: .2gProtein: 35.6g
Looking for more chicken recipes? Try these…
- Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Thighs with Lemon, Garlic & Thyme
- Chicken Pot Pie Without Pie Crust
- Sauteed Chicken Cutlets with Cherry Tomatoes, Olives, Feta and Basil