Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata is made with tender pieces of chicken dipped in flour and seared until golden. Then they are simmered in a lemon-butter and wine sauce until it’s juicy, tender, and melts in your mouth! Cooked in ONE skillet, and it’s ready in 30 minutes makes this the BEST Chicken Piccata ever!
Our Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata is sure to please a crowd! With its zesty lemon flavors and tender, juicy chicken, it becomes addicting!
A classic chicken dish, mom’s recipe for best chicken piccata definitely transforms everyday chicken cutlets into something spectacular! Easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
Chicken cutlets are quickly seared and simmered in a sauce made with wine, lemon juice, butter, capers, and chicken broth.
Healthy and tasty, combining fresh lemon juice with a few staple ingredients creates a rich and flavorful sauce with NO fuss!
This recipe for chicken piccata will feed a family of 2 to 4. Best of all, this meal is not expensive either.
You can serve some of these delicious sides to go with it, like steamed rice, egg noodles, or try our Oven-Baked Parsnip Fries, or our Oven Steak Fries.
Also, you may serve it with our Mom’s Best-Mashed Potato Pie along with a green salad to round out and complete the meal.
But we love it best with a side of our Angel Hair Pasta with Lemon Sauce. The more lemon … the tastier this meal turns out!!
Why is this the best chicken piccata?
it’s made with thin chicken cutlets
the sauce is made with 4 ingredients
this is a one-skillet meal, for easy cleanup
it’s ready in under 30 minutes
will feed a family of 4
and the chicken practically melts in your mouth!
What kind of chicken is best to buy for this recipe?
First, it’s best to buy chicken cutlets from your local butcher. Simply because they’re already cleaned, pounded, and thinly sliced for you.
You may pay a little more, but it’s definitely worth it and shopping local supports your local butchers.
Keep in mind, most (but not all) packages of chicken cutlets you pick up from the supermarkets do not come thoroughly cleaned. So you may have to do some of the work yourself: including removing excess fat, pounding them, and even may slice them thinner yourself. (…more prep work)
How to Make Our Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata…
With 3 easy steps, you’ll have our mom’s best chicken piccata ready for dinner in no time!
First, lightly dust the chicken with some flour. Then sear the chicken in the skillet with some olive oil and butter until golden and fully cooked. Then transfer to a nearby plate.
Next, make the lemon and wine sauce in the same skillet, adding in the butter, wine, and lemon juice, scraping and stirring the bottom of the tib-bits with a wooden spoon (full recipe in our recipe card below). Simmer the sauce for about 1 minute.
Transfer the seared chicken back into the skillet with the sauce, and pour in the chicken broth. Toss in fresh parsley and capers, and COVER with a lid. Simmer for a few minutes more with a few slices of lemon on top, and the chicken is done!
Tips for Success:
A few things make this our Mom’s BEST chicken piccata.
First, dusting the chicken cutlets with flour gives them some added texture. The chicken retains its moisture while cooking, making them very tender and juicy. If you make chicken piccata without flour, the chicken will turn out tough and even dry.
Second, simmering the chicken with capers gives the sauce more flavor. There’s no need to add any additional salt to this recipe, at least I didn’t think so. The capers are salty enough to give this chicken piccata and its sauce a lot of depth in flavor.
Also, our mom prefers to use a lot of fresh lemon juice with this recipe. The more lemon flavor the more we love it! So I used two large lemons, rather than small ones.
What sides to serve with our Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata…
When you try our mom’s best chicken piccata, you will see for yourself how tender and juicy the chicken turns out. It practically melts in your mouth!
Try our recipe. It won’t disappoint.
Please don’t forget to Pin it! … and thanks for SHARING!
You may even enjoy our: Veal Piccata with Lemon. It’s made with thin slices of veal, loaded with lemon juice, wine, and capers, and it makes a wonderful meal!
Also, try our seafood recipe for Best Salmon Piccata! ENJOY! 😉
Finally, additional delicious Recipes for Chicken…
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 (16-ounces) package thin boneless chicken cutlets
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 garlic clove - thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, if needed
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter - divided
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 + 1/2 Tbsp. capers
- 2 lemons -divided (1 lemon juiced, and 1 lemon cut 1/4-inch slices)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- fresh chopped parsley, as garnish
- optional: salt and pepper to taste
- First, take chicken cutlets and cut each piece in half if they are too large. Then lightly sprinkle on top with some salt and black pepper.
- Take each piece of chicken (one at a time) and coat both sides with flour, and shake off excess flour. Set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, and on medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 1 tablespoon of butter. Add in the sliced garlic. When the oil is hot, add in the chicken pieces and saute the chicken for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden. This takes about 5 minutes. The chicken will absorb some of the olive oil while cooking. Therefore, as you are sauteing the chicken, if you need to add more oil in the pan, then add an additional tablespoon while sauteing the chicken.
- Then remove each chicken cutlet as they are cooked, and transfer it to a nearby plate.
- In the same skillet, pour in the wine, juice of one lemon, and a dash of crushed red pepper flakes. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to deglaze the lemon sauce, about 1 minute. Add in 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Transfer the chicken back into the skillet, and pour in chicken broth, and toss in the capers and parsley. COVER with a lid. Allow the sauce to come to a low boil, about 2 minutes. Lower the heat to the lowest. Then top each chicken with thin slices of lemon and COVER again.
- Allow the chicken piccata to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes more. Turn off heat.
- Uncover and sprinkle with some freshly chopped parsley. And serve.
- Yields: 2 to 4 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 24.3gCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: .03gSugar: .05gProtein: 34g
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us?
If you try our mom’s best chicken piccata recipe, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating on the recipe card! Your insights and experiences will not only help our readers but will help us too!
For more delicious recipes, follow us on Instagram and on Pinterest!
We’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes FREE every time we post a new recipe, and reminders of great older ones too!
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz