Our Salmon Piccata is a classic Italian dish, typically made with chicken or veal, and cooked in a flavorful lemon and wine sauce. Only this time, it’s made with salmon; and it’s ABSOLUTELY DIVINE! An easy, seafood dinner with salmon that’s ready in minutes, and lemony-delicious!
This is a simple, no-fail recipe for salmon. And, this Mediterranean-style recipe for salmon has a delicious lemon-flavored sauce that will actually make the salmon taste exquisite!
As you know, fish cooks up quickly, and therefore, making dinner is never complicated.
In fact, it’s become the easiest dinner to make during busy weeknights and not to mention – very healthy.
Similar to our Mom’s Best Chicken Piccata, or our Veal Piccata with Lemon and Capers which we like to keep on rotation. Using the classic method of dusting salmon in flour and pan-searing them in butter and olive oil, the result is fabulous!!
It happens to make this the BEST salmon piccata recipe out there!
Best part? Both, salmon and its velvety lemon-wine sauce are made in One-Skillet! 🙂
For this recipe, you will need only a few fresh ingredients. Salmon, a couple of lemons, some white wine, a little flour, and a few capers will make this dish FABULOUS!
We love to cook up simple meals, and love to cook seafood all year long. Seafood has become the usual meal in our household and it’s on our weekly rotation.
As part of the Mediterranean diet, simple seafood dinners like this one make dinner ideally easy and healthy.
You can serve this salmon piccata with our favorite side of Angel Hair Pasta with Lemon Sauce along with a green salad to round out and complete the meal.
As always, Italian cooking is simple and easy cooking. There are 3 key elements in Italian cooking that will give flavor and turn an ordinary dish into extraordinary:
1. It’s good quality “fat” – which is in the rich extra virgin olive oil.
2. Plus, it’s the “salt” – which is in the capers and the sea salt.
3. And, the “acidity” – which are in both the lemon juice and white wine.
Ingredients for Best Salmon Piccata: (your shopping list)
salmon – anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds and sliced into 4 pieces
all-purpose flour (or GF)
extra virgin olive oil
lemon – about 2 lemons juiced
small lemon – to slice as a garnish
seasonings – some sea salt, herbs de Provence, and fresh cracked black pepper
optional: 1/4 cup chicken or seafood broth
Our salmon piccata is made on a stovetop and in one large skillet.
There are two easy steps for making this dish:
Step 1: Heat the skillet, and add the olive oil. Lightly season the salmon with sea salt. When olive oil is hot, lightly flour all the sides of the salmon and add each one to the skillet. Add some seasonings and cook the salmon for a few minutes on each side.
Step 2: Next, add in the capers, lemon juice, and white wine. Finally, add in the butter and simmer the salmon for a few minutes more, until it’s fully cooked. Then serve.
Cook’s Notes and Tips:
If you can, try to purchase salmon at a fish market. Ask if the fishmonger to remove the bottom skin from the salmon, leaving the salmon perfectly skinless on all sides.
The sauce is created with 4 simple ingredients to give flavor to the salmon and they all work perfectly together.
Sometimes I like to add in a splash of chicken broth to the sauce for additional flavor and to create plenty of sauce, enough to go over the salmon and extra for a side dish to soak up, like creamy polenta or mashed potatoes. (Note: vegetable broth will work too.)
As always, the flour is used to help keep in the moisture of the salmon and not dry it out while it’s cooking. It’s also used to help thicken the sauce.
Before starting, always sprinkle the tops of each salmon with a little sea salt. Then dredge in flour.
I rarely measure my seasonings, so you can sprinkle additional herbs de Provence, on the salmon as you like.
Best Salmon Piccata is a simple no-fuss dish with a velvety sauce that is juicy and tasty.
Salmon always turns out moist, juicy, and totally delicious. This recipe will feed a family of four.
It is such a delicious dish, and healthy too. I hope you’ll try this recipe for salmon piccata and enjoy it as much as we do!
What to Serve with Best Salmon Piccata…
…Don’t forget to PIN it! … and thanks for SHARING!
MORE Delicious Recipes for Salmon, try these:
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 pounds (cut into 4 pieces) salmon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (or GF)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. + extra of dried Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 + 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 1 Tbps. capers
- 2 Tbsp. butter - divided
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of lemon, as a garnish
- optional: a splash of chicken or seafood broth
- First, lightly sprinkle some sea salt over each piece of salmon. Set aside.
- Grab a small plate and add the flour.
- Next, heat a large deep non-stick skillet on the stovetop and on moderate heat for about 1 minute. Add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the skillet.
- Take each piece of salmon and coat all sides with flour, and shake off excess flour. Add each one to the skillet and saute the salmon for a few minutes, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly on top of each salmon with some herbs de Provence.
- Then flip over each piece and continue to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, and again lightly sprinkle on top each salmon with some Herbs de Provence.
- Toss in some capers, and pour in the white wine and lemon juice. Lightly stir the sauce around the salmon.
- Lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has reduced a little. Toss in the remaining butter and add some fresh cracked black pepper. Taste the sauce, and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Cover with a lid and simmer the salmon for a few minutes more for well done. If you prefer your salmon to be medium or medium-rare, then cook the salmon less.
- Garnish with a lemon slice on each. And serve each one with a couple of spoonfuls of the lemon sauce over the top.
- yields: 2 to 4 servings