Sausage Stuffed Peppers get a new spin on a classic favorite of sausage and peppers. Stuffed red peppers with crumbled Italian sausages, Parmesan cheese, and Italian breadcrumbs give these bell peppers a delicious balance of rich flavors in every bite, making dinner a snap in this easy and tasty casserole.
A family recipe, from my daughter Annalisa, who first posted the photo on Facebook, and received immediate raves, asking her for the recipe. Her sausage stuffed peppers turned out so good, I decided to share her recipe with all of you!
This recipe is a simple 2 step process. First, cook the crumbled sausage, and second, stuff the peppers and bake.
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Peppers…
1. First, you will need to fully cook the crumbled sausage, then drain on paper towels before mixing with the breadcrumbs and cheese mixture.
2. Next, mix the cooked sausages with some cheese, bread crumbs, olive oil, and parsley until well combined.
3. Then slice and clean each pepper.
4. Stuff each pepper with some sausage and cheese mixture, dividing the mixture evenly.
5. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, until the peppers are tender. Be sure to allow them to cool a little before serving, the filling will be extremely hot.
Try these sausage stuffed peppers with a side of vegetables or a salad and a glass of red wine, and enjoy a delicious meal! Have a great day!
More delicious recipes for Peppers…
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 3 or 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 pound (500 grams) ground sweet Italian pork or chicken sausage
- 1 cup (119g) Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup (59.9g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup ( 65g to 98g) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- olive oil cooking spray
- Lightly spray a large (12 x 9) Pyrex baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside. Wash and slice peppers once down the middle. Remove seeds, and place peppers on a Pyrex baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180C).
- In a skillet, cook sausage on the stovetop until thoroughly cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain cooked sausage on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add crumbled sausage, and mix well. The mixture should be moist; if not, add more olive oil.
- Stuff each pepper with the sausage mixture.
- BAKE in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until the peppers are tender and softened to the touch. Remove and set aside to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings