Need an easy appetizer for your next gathering? Try our Easy Baked Shishito Peppers. These are little green mild chili peppers, mostly sweet, with an occasional “hot one” mixed in the bunch. This recipe is easily tossed with 2 ingredients and quickly baked in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. A colorful, healthy dish that can be served as a warm appetizer or as a side!
Simple to make, delicious tasting, and fun to eat!
You can make these shishito peppers two ways:
- or baked
I have made them a few times sauteing them on the stovetop, but they splash and pop when they blister and make a huge mess on the stove.
So the other night when we had dinner at a friend’s house, my girlfriend Teresa served these peppers as an appetizer next to her cheese board.
Only, she baked them!
So this time I baked them, and to my surprise, they turned out fantastic! Not only were they easier but with no mess, and delicious as ever!
What is a Shishito Pepper?
Shishito pepper is an East Asian pepper that resembles a wrinkle jalapeno pepper but these are mildly sweet with a few hot ones mixed in the bunch.
They blister when they are baked or sauteed, and sometimes even slightly charred. They are popularly served in Asian restaurants as an appetizer.
How to Bake Shishito Peppers?
1. Toss them into a mixing bowl with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. If you prefer an Asian flair to them, then you can add a few drops of toasted sesame oil.
2. Next, bake them for about 10 to 15 minutes, until they are slightly charred and slightly blistered. No need to turn them. But keep an eye on them, they bake quickly. Then transfer to a bowl and serve them warm.
Notes and Tips for these Easy Baked Shishito Peppers:
You can pick them up by the stem end and eat the whole thing, minus the stem, of course.
Maybe toss them into an omelet the next day. They are so good!
The element of surprise is when when you eat one that is spicy hot, it’s a good idea to have a glass of water nearby. Just in case.
Shishito peppers can be found in most Asian markets and most supermarkets everywhere, including Trader Joes.
I find that the best Shishito peppers are sold at Costco, and have the best price too.
Easy Baked Shishito Peppers make a great snack and a fun-finger appetizer when you need one.
Our family loves them. My son-in-law introduced them to me a few years ago, and now I’m hooked.
This vegetable dish will certainly be a new staple appetizer at our family and friend gatherings, and hopefully, it will be for you too.
Try this recipe, it won’t disappoint!
More Delicious Appetizers!
- Easy Roasted Artichoke Hearts with Lemon-Garlic Aioli.
- Roasted Asparagus with Prosciutto and Cheese.
- Everything Baked Potato Dip
- Easy Caprese Skewers
- Mini Peppers Sauteed with Garlic
- Spinach and Kale Bites.
- Baked Vegetable Bird’s Nests.
- Easy Mozzarella and Tomato Kabobs.
Prep Time 3 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 12 ounces of Shishito peppers
- 1 + 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- optional: lime or lemon juice
- optional: a few drops of toasted sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C).
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss the shishito pepper with olive oil and sea salt. NOTE: If you like a more Asian flair to them, add a few drops of toasted sesame oil.
- Transfer to a baking pan, and scatter them in an even layer.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until they are slightly charred and blistered.
- Remove and transfer to a serving bowl and serve warm. Optional: Serve them with some freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice over them, about 1 tablespoon.
- Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serves 6 to 8
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 39Total Fat: 2.3gCarbohydrates: 3.8gFiber: 2.5gProtein: 1.3g