Looking for a delicious appetizer? Spinach and Kale Bites are little vegetable balls loaded with spinach, kale, and Parmesan cheese. Then they are lightly coated with panko breadcrumbs and baked until crispy and tender. These little bites burst with spinach and Parmesan cheese flavor! The taste of kale is completely hidden in this little appetizer, making them the ideal snack for picky eaters.
I saw these little spinach and kale bites in the freezer section at Trader Joe’s and since I got hooked on Kale for the first time a few years ago, making scrumptious kale drinks like kale smoothies, I bought a box and tried them for the first time.
They were very tasty, but a little too salty and a bit expensive.
So I decided to make them myself and duplicate the recipe as close as possible, only I decided to roll them in panko breadcrumbs for some crunch.
The outcome was really terrific, crunchy on the outside, and super moist on the inside. The Parmesan cheese definitely adds depth of flavor to them.
You can also try our mini rice balls as another fun appetizer, and our cold spinach dip for an easy make-ahead spinach dip!
Plus, you might enjoy our favorite post for Baked Vegetable Bird’s Nests, also a copycat recipe from Trader Joe’s.
How to Make these Spinach and Kale Bites?
(*full recipe card below!)
- First, we need to simply give some flavor to the spinach and kale, sautéing both in a skillet.
2. Next, we transfer the mixture to a food processor and pulse it a few times to chop. Transfer to a mixing bowl, and mix it with a few more ingredients.
3. When working with this recipe, use 2 bowls or dishes, and pour some panko bread crumbs into one.
4. Then take a teaspoon full of the spinach and kale mixture into your hand. Make a small ball with your hands (larger than a quarter, smaller than a golf ball).
5. Next, gently roll the ball into panko bread crumbs to coat evenly.
6. Then bake them for about 20 to 25 minutes and serve!
And if you LOVE these spinach and kale bites, then try our Spinach and Kale Quiche– it is scrumptiously delicious.
Plus, try our Healthy Spinach Smoothie Recipe – it’s great for kids too!
WATCH VIDEO!: How to make Spinach & Kale Bites? (1-minute)
Questions & Answers…
1. Can I Make Spinach and Kale Bites in Advance?
- These are easy enough to make a day in advance for a party, and throw in the oven when guests arrive.
- They’re amazingly light and festive, definitely worthy of a fancy dinner or a holiday party. Terrific to serve at football parties too.
2. Can I Freeze Them?
- You can make these spinach and kale bits and freeze them before you bake them. They will keep frozen for up to one month.
- You can bake them and then freeze them and then reheat them before serving. That has worked for them too.
3. Make them Vegan or Dairy-free?
- Yes, you can. There are so many options these days for you to swap out certain ingredients and make this vegan or dairy-free.
- Here’s a Tip from one of our comments below: “You can make ‘parmesan’ by combining 3/4 cup cashews, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 3/4 tsp. sea salt & 3 Tbsp. of nutritional yeast then blitz in a food processor.” I’m not sure how this will differ in taste from those with parmesan but these were so so yummy.”
NOTES and TIPS for Success…
- If you omit the panko breadcrumbs from this recipe, you’ll have gluten-free spinach and kale bites.
- These bites can be expensive to buy frozen (at Trader Joe’s) and about $5 for 10 bites.
- Plus, most frozen foods are packed with high levels of sodium as well as some other unknown ingredients.
- When you make them yourself, they’re definitely fresher and more cost-effective.
- I love them because they’re baked not fried, and loaded with antioxidants and vitamins A, C and K. Plus, I’m giving my family a healthier snack instead of junk food.
Some ingredients you will need (with links to amazon):
- panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- organic cayenne pepper
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- BAKING SHEET
…Thanks for Pinning!
More Tasty Ideas!
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Bites
- Spinach and Cheese Squares
- Baked Artichoke and Spinach Dip (Houston’s Copycat)
- Easy Kale and Spinach Pesto Sauce
- Spinach and Kale Quiche
- Spinach and Parmesan Quiche
- Spinach Ravioli with White Cream Asparagus Sauce
- Easy Knorr Spinach Dip
- 1 small yellow onion- chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 6-ounce package fresh baby spinach (the equivalent to 5 oz. of frozen)
- 2 cups packed with fresh kale, rinsed
- 1 large scallion (green onion)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs, plus extra for coating
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of organic cayenne pepper
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a frying pan, heat and melt butter with olive oil. Add yellow onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and kale and cook until they wilt about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place cooked contents into a food processor along with one chopped scallion and pulse for several seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add one egg, 2/3 cup of panko bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese. Mix with a spoon until well combined. Add salt and black pepper to taste and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- In a second smaller bowl or dish, pour some panko bread crumbs. Take a teaspoon full of the spinach and kale mixture into your hand. Make a small ball with your hands (larger than a quarter, smaller than a golf ball).
- Gently roll the ball into panko bread crumbs to coat evenly.
- Lightly spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the spinach and kale bites onto the baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 35 minutes. Serve warm.
- Yields: 20 bites
Yield:20 Bites (about 10 servings)
Serving Size:1 serving ( 2 bites )
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 8.4gCarbohydrates: 7.9gFiber: 1.3gSugar: .9gProtein: 6g
Hello Friends! Are you cooking with us?
If you make these delicious spinach and kale bites as an appetizer, leave a comment with a star rating in our recipe card below! Your experience and insights will not only help our readers who read them, but will help us too!
For more delicious ideas, follow us on Instagram and on Pinterest!
We’d love to hear from you and see what you cook! 🙂
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! …enter your email in our “SUBSCRIBE BOX” and get them “FREE” every time we post a new recipe and reminders of some great older ones too!
Happy & Healthy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!