Baked Artichoke and Spinach Dip is our copycat version of Houston’s and Hillstone’s famous Spinach & Artichoke Dip. This dip is savory, low-carb, and Keto friendly that can be prepared in advance, making the ideal appetizer to nosh on at gatherings or while dinner is getting ready.
This is an old recipe, in case you have an old printed copy, you may want to update it since I made a few changes to our recipe!
There are some great restaurants that our entire family absolutely adore!
One is an upscale restaurant chain called Houston’s, and the other is Hillstone and they have many restaurants nationwide. For many years we were lucky to have one right here on Long Island, and one in New York City.
Every time we travel up North to visit the family, we always make time to enjoy some of our favorite dishes at Hillstone. Their very popular spinach and artichoke dip is always served with a side of sour cream, salsa, and tortilla chips.
It is our go-to appetizer! It’s so good, we often order two.
Our recipe for baked artichoke and spinach dip is made with frozen artichoke hearts, frozen spinach, and a mixture of different cheeses along with some garlic and onion. Then it is baked until the cheese is creamy and melted.
It’s a definite crowd-pleaser and a keeper!
Is Our Dip Exactly the Same as Houston’s Dip?
I’m not exactly sure, but it’s excellent! And my family and friends request that I make it every time we have a gathering.
But after a few batches in the making, we came up with one delicious baked artichoke and spinach dip that was not only totally delicious but also satisfying.
We tested this recipe and served it one night at a dinner party, and everyone loved it! Since we had a great outcome, I knew we had to post this recipe!
How Long to Make and Bake Artichoke and Spinach Dip?
This dip takes about 20 minutes to prepare, which is usually how long an oven takes to preheat. Then it takes about 15 minutes to bake until the cheese is completely melted and bubbly around the sides. It’s totally perfection!
Can We Make Ahead?
Baked artichoke and spinach dip is ideal to prep before a party. You can make the dip, wrap with clear wrap and refrigerate it up to one day before baking.
Before you bake it, allow the dip to sit on your counter for at least 30 minutes or so, allowing it to warm up at room temperature, otherwise, you will need more baking time to heat it through.
Then follow the directions in our recipe card below.
How to Make Baked Artickoke and Spinach Dip?
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients…
*Full Recipe Card Below!
Ingredients Needed for Baked Artichoke and Spinach Dip:
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach- thawed
1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts -thawed
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion (or 3 green scallions) – chopped
2 garlic cloves – minced
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup of half and half
1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus extra
Optional: sprinkle extra shredded mozzarella on top before baking.
9 x 12 Oval Baking Dish
First, Must Thaw the Vegetables:
Before you begin, the vegetables have to be completely thawed, then you will need to squeeze out the excess water from both the spinach and the artichoke hearts.
For the artichokes hearts:
Place two sheets of paper towels on the counter and spread out the artichoke hearts over them. Top them with two more sheets of paper towels and press down onto them to squeeze excess water as good as you can.
Then transfer them to your food processor.
For the spinach:
You can squeeze the water out in small batches. Grab a handful of the spinach and place your hand over the sink. Begin to squeeze the spinach until most of the water is out.
Transfer spinach to your food processor. Continue until all the spinach is done.
Next, Directions To Make this Dip:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176.7 C).
1. In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat. Saute the onion for 3 minutes, then add the garlic to the onion and continue to saute for about 2 minutes.
2. Use a small electric chopper or food processor, and finely chop the artichokes and spinach. Add the spinach and artichokes into the skillet. Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, transfer the mixture. Then add in sour cream, heavy cream, half & half, pecorino cheese, Parmesan cheese, and shredded mozzarella and mix well to combine. Use a fork to blend all the ingredients together.
4. Transfer mixture into a 9 x 12-inch oval (or rectangula) baking dish, and spread evenly. Scatter on top with some grated Parmesan cheese. And you can extra shredded mozzarella on top if desired.
5. Bake, uncovered for 15 to 17 minutes, until the cheese, is melted on top and the cheese is bubbly around the edges. Remove and serve immediately. Serves 8 to 10
This warm artichoke and spinach dip will be a great addition to your collection of appetizers.
You should definitely try this recipe, I know you will enjoy it as much as we do!
Serve as an appetizer with tortilla chips on the side, along with some sour cream and salsa next to it; just as Houston’s serves it.
And maybe an ice-cold beer to go with it!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 - (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach - thawed, squeeze out excess liquid.
- 1 - (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts - thawed, squeeze excess liquid.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 1 medium sweet onion or 3 green scallions- diced
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of half and half
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, plus extra
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176.7 C)
- In a food processor or electric hand chopper, finely chop artichokes and spinach.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter and heat on medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes, until softened. Then add the garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Toss into the skillet the spinach and artichokes and stir well to combine, while sauteing to flavor them. Add the additional tablespoon of olive oil, and season the vegetables with salt, and black pepper.
- Saute the mixture on low heat for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the mixture and adjust the salt and pepper, if needed. Turn off heat.
- Transfer the mixture into a medium bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and use a fork to blend all the ingredients together.
- Transfer mixture into a 9 x 12 oval baking dish and spread evenly. Scatter on top with about 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. And for those who love extra gooey cheese on top, sprinkle on top with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately. Serves many.