EASY Artichoke Gratin is quickly made with frozen artichoke hearts sauteed on the stovetop with garlic, onions, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese. A tasty side dish that’s ready in 15 minutes, will complement any entree too! If you always wanted a side dish of artichokes but thought it was too much work, then this recipe is for you!
For this easy Artichoke Gratin…
No need for any creams! This is a simple gratin made on the stovetop that’s quick and requires only a few ingredients.
Best part? It always turns out great!
My family adores artichokes, and I make them almost every week.
So when I’m short on time, I prefer to use the frozen artichoke hearts… and I use them often.
Why Use Frozen Artichoke Hearts?
Frozen artichoke hearts are already cleaned and cut to size, making them perfect to use for many recipes.
Some of those recipes are Artichoke Heart Fritters, Baked Peas and Artichoke Hearts, and Delicious Artichoke Hearts Salad, just to name a few.
They cook up quickly. Ideally when you need to whip up a vegetable dish easily.
You can always find them (in boxes or bags) in the freezer section at every supermarket.
I usually buy a ton of them – especially when they go on sale and keep them in the freezer.
EASY Artichoke Gratin can also be prepared ahead of time and reheated before its served.
Delicious and full of flavor, it even resembles our Garlic Stuffed Artichokes recipe which we love dearly, but without all the work.
With the busy weeks ahead, I wanted to share a new side dish that was fast and easy. And, this one should definitely be on everyone’s list of side dishes, for quick meals.
If you prefer to use “fresh” artichoke hearts instead of frozen ones, then check out our step-by-step tutorial and video on “How to Clean Artichokes.”
Keep in mind when using fresh artichokes, you will need more cooking time, about 25 minutes or more until they become tender.
In the meantime …ENJOY this recipe!!
Finally, if you love artichokes as much as we do …then try these:
- 2 (9-ounce) boxes of frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 medium-size onion - chopped
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (22.5 grams) grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- fresh chopped parsley
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil and butter on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute them for a few minutes until they are translucent about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the artichoke hearts and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Add in the crushed red pepper flakes.
- Saute the artichoke hearts for a few minutes until they are golden brown and tender to the bite, occasionally stirring, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Scatter on top with breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, a pinch of garlic powder, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cover with a lid. And lower the heat to simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes more, until the bread crumbs soften.
- Turn off heat. Taste one artichoke heart, and adjust the seasonings (if you need to) with salt and pepper and some garlic powder.
- Toss fresh chopped parsley on top. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
- yields: 4 to 6 servings
You can make this easy side dish ahead of time, and reheat in the oven at 300 F. for about 10 minutes, or until it's completely warm through. Also, if you prefer to make it creamy, add 1/3 cup of heavy cream and simmer for a few minutes more until the cream slightly thickens.
Yield:4 to 6 servings
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 7gCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5.2gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 3.7g
Don’t forget to PIN this one to your SIDES Board… and thanks again!