Artichoke Hearts Steamed with Olives, Capers and Garlic. We love artichokes! However, our mom’s recipe for steamed artichokes hearts is one labor of love! So we decided to modify her recipe to cut the time in half. These artichoke hearts are quickly steamed with kalamata olives, capers, garlic, fresh chopped parsley, and extra virgin olive oil. They are simple, amazingly tasty, and healthy!
This is a fabulous dish for frozen artichokes! And one that couldn’t be any easier.
I posted this recipe a few years back and modified the recipe a little because every time I make this artichoke dish it gets better and better.
So you may want to print a new one and discard the old one.
Mom named this dish “Carciofi alla Judea” which means Jewish artichokes. She claims this is how the Italians in Italy, mainly from Naples, have been making them for centuries.
Even though the title of this dish is common throughout Italy, some regions interestingly will make them different. For instance, in Rome, they are prepared by flash frying in hot oil instead of steaming.
Nowadays, we adapted our mom’s recipe for making her artichokes with a lot more ease.
She would normally prepare this dish using only fresh artichokes, cleaning each one herself, which required more tedious work, not to mention – very time-consuming labor (to say the least).
Sorry, mom! But we prefer to make our lives a little easier these days when it comes to cooking, especially when we’re cooking for the family, dinner party, or a holiday.
We made this artichoke dish easier and quicker by cutting the time to a minimum. How? We used frozen artichoke hearts instead and skipped the entire cleaning step.
For this recipe, simply combine all the ingredients together, pan-sear for 1 minute, then cover to steam for 15 minutes.
This will infuse all the aromatic flavors of the garlic, kalamata olives, capers, and fresh parsley to seep into the artichokes, making them taste amazing!
*Full Recipe Card Below!
Ingredients Needed for Artichoke Hearts Steamed with Olives:
2 (12-ounces) packages of frozen Artichokes Hearts- slightly thawed
2 + 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves – thinly sliced
5 organic kalamata olives (1/4 cup)- pits removed, chopped
1 Tbsp. organic non-pareille capers – rinsed
1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley – divided
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of cayenne pepper
fresh cracked pepper to taste
Artichoke Hearts Steamed with Olives, Capers and Garlic make a delicious side dish.
They will compliment any roast, seafood, or poultry. The artichokes become so moist, tender, and flavorful!
This recipe for artichokes (aka alla Judea) turn out so good, everyone was surprised.
They were incredibly yummy! Plus, they will make your kitchen smell wonderful too!
Your family will love this dish!
And, we think we did a pretty good job with our mom’s recipe. She thinks so too! 😉
Thank you for PINNING and SHARING !!
More Tasty Artichoke Recipes!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 2 ( 12-ounces) packages of frozen Artichokes Hearts- slightly thawed
- 2 + 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- 5 organic kalamata olives (1/4 cup)- pits removed, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. organic non-pareille capers - rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley - divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Rinse briefly frozen artichokes and drain them in a colander for about 1 minute.
- Place artichokes, olives, capers, and half the chopped parsley into a large bowl and gently stir to blend and combine. Set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil on medium-low heat. Next, add the garlic and the remaining chopped parsley and saute both for 1 to 2 minutes. Place a cover for the pan nearby, to avoid splashing of oil.
- Add the artichoke mixture. Cover immediately. Gently shake the pan, then remove the cover to pan-sear the artichokes for about 1 minute, gently stirring.
- Then, cover again, and simmer on low heat to steam for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn artichokes on the bottom of the pan.
- Season with salt, a dash of cayenne pepper, and some fresh cracked pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with extra fresh parsley on top. Serve warm.
- Serves 6 to 8
Hi friends! Have you tried our artichoke hearts recipe? Please let us know and leave a comment below with a star rating – we’d greatly appreciate it. Have fun and snap a photo and share it on Pinterest; be sure to tag or hashtag us.
Oh, and let’s be friends… Sign up for 2 Sisters Recipes Weekly Newsletter and never miss a recipe. Get our recipes every time we post a new recipe, plus reminders of great older ones too!
And stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, for all the latest updates.
Stay Healthy … and Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz