My Easy Butter Bean Salad is made with tender butter beans tossed with fresh herbs, red onion, celery, and lemon vinaigrette for a deep delicious flavor! Light, simple, and very tasty, I bet this butter bean salad will make a great addition as a side dish to add to any backyard barbecue, potluck, picnic, or even your brunch table!
My family loves butter beans, and what better way to give them their favorite beans in a tasty salad! Butter beans are also referred to as lima beans and are basically in the same family.
Butter beans and lima beans are small, flat with a light green color, and have the same buttery texture and sweet flavor.
They are low in calories and loaded with vitamins, minerals, and folates. Best of all, one serving is only 56 calories!
How to Make Butter Bean Salad?
For this easy butter bean salad recipe, I found a bag of frozen tiny lima beans at my local supermarket. The only prep work I needed to do with these beans was to boil them for about 20 minutes. Then allow them to drain before tossing with the rest of the ingredients.
Notes and Tips for butter beans…
Sometime around July, you may be lucky enough to find fresh butter beans from your local vegetable markets. Fresh butter beans usually hit the markets every year during the summer months.
If they are available in your area, it is best to store them in a plastic bag or plastic container. Keep in mind, it’s best to use them soon after purchasing.
Using fresh herbs gives this butter bean salad its refreshing flavors. Lots of fresh basil, including some tarragon and cilantro, were added along with fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
Then season with salt and pepper to taste, cover with clear wrap, and chill.
Chill for at least an hour before serving. This will allow the beans to marinate and infuse all the fresh zesty flavors into them.
Butter Beans are delicious served as a salad!
Just before you serve this delicious butter bean salad, give it one last toss to combine all the ingredients again. Then taste to see if you need to add additional lemon juice or olive oil.
Sometimes, the beans will absorb some of its vinaigrette while marinating, and therefore, you may need to add in a little more.
I served this salad to family and friends a few weeks ago and everyone loved it – hands down!
Delicious and uniquely tasty, this easy butter bean salad has that wonderful spring-fresh taste! Give it a try!
…Thanks for Pinning!
If you love butter beans as much as we do, try our Best Butter Beans Recipe!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes FREE every time we post!
- 1 (20-ounce) bag of frozen tiny lima beans
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 stalks of celery - thinly sliced
- 1 large lemon - juiced
- 1/2 tsp. fresh tarragon chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro - chopped
- a handful of fresh basil - chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a medium-size pot (3 -quart size) filled with water, toss in frozen lime beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and COVER. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, or until the beans are tender to the bite. Do not over boil them. Drain well. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Toss in all the rest of the ingredients. Gently toss the butter bean salad to combine all the flavors.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cover with clear wrap and chill in the refrigerator at least 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Finally, before serving, transfer the butter bean salad to a serving bowl. Then take the final taste test. Butter beans will absorb most of the vinaigrette, and therefore, you may need to add in a little more olive oil and lemon juice, as desired. Then serve.
- Bests served chilled.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Lima Beans are best when they are tender to the bite. If you over cook the beans, they will fall apart and become mushy and ruin the salad. So keep an eye on them while boiling. Also, just before serving, do another taste test and add in more lemon juice and olive oil if needed. Best to serve chilled.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 56Total Fat: 6.3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: .5gFiber: .2gSugar: .2gProtein: .1g