Oven Baked Thin Sweet Italian Sausages, Red Bell Peppers and Potato Casserole. Sweet Italian sausages tossed with potatoes, red peppers, onions and garlic, all baked at the same time makes a fabulous dinner with an array of flavors in every bite, your mouth will jump for joy! This quick casserole dish is No fuss, and allows me time to do something else.
Sometimes I just can’t decide what to make for dinner. Having no clue – nothing – nada – comes to mind.
But then I started questioning myself, what could I make that doesn’t require a crock pot or the stove-top but just the oven?
Yesterday, as I was walking through the aisle at the meat market, I came across thin Italian sausages and bingo! I haven’t made mom’s classic sausages and peppers in a while. As a kid, this was my favorite dish, and now it’s my family’s favorite.
Italian sweet sausages filled with basil and cheese are big on flavor and goes perfectly with potatoes, red bell peppers, garlic, onions, and extra virgin olive oil.
Oh my…. it makes a Delicious Dish! You can pair this dish with a simple green salad to round out the meal.
It was a perfect dinner!
What Kind of Sausages Can I Use?
You can buy any package of thin Italian sweet sausages, either at your local butcher shop or supermarket. They come in variety of flavors. My family prefers basil and cheese filled sausages.
It’s definitely easier if you bake or roast sausages together with the vegetables. But I prefer to bake them separately, so I can remove the excess grease and fat from the sausages. Then I mix them together in a serving platter or casserole dish just before serving.
Oven Baked Thin Sweet Sausages, Red Bell Peppers and Potato Casserole turned out to be a huge hit and relatively easy! Best part? My family was happy!
Try this recipe!
*Follow along with our Step- By-Step directions, or jump down to the bottom for recipe card.
Oven Baked Thin Sweet Sausages, Red Bell Peppers, and Potato Casserole:
2 pounds of Thin Sweet Italian Sausages ( basil and cheese filled)
5 all-purpose potatoes – peeled, chopped
4 red bell peppers – chopped
5 garlic cloves – chopped
1 large onion – peeled, chopped
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sea salt
fresh ground pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
cooking olive oil spray
1. Spray a large non-stick roasting pan with cooking oil. Place all the vegetables together and scatter all seasonings on top.
2. Drizzle generously extra virgin olive oil over the vegetables.
3. Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
4. Spray a second but smaller roasting pan with cooking oil. Place sausage links into roasting pan. Using a fork, randomly puncture the sausages. Bake links on top rack of oven and place the vegetables on the bottom rack.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or so, until golden brown. Remove the pan with sausages from oven, and cut links into 2 to 3 inches. Turn them over to brown the other side. Place them back into the oven and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
6. Shake both roasting pans every 10 minutes to rotate the vegetables and the sausages. Total baking time is about 40 to 45 minutes, until they golden and brown.
7. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving deep dish or platter mixing both sausages and vegetables together. And serve. Serves 5 to 6
MORE TASTY RECIPES!
…Thanks for PINNING!