Mozzarella in Carrozza is a classic Italian cheese sandwich that is quickly dipped in flour then in an egg wash and quickly fried. There’s something irresistible about a crunchy, crispy bread with melted mozzarella sandwiched in between, and this is it!
What does “Mozzarella in Carrozza” mean?
- The term “in Carrozza” means “in the carriage.”
- Many decades ago, they would serve mozzarella sandwiches in paper baskets, and these paper baskets resembled a little baby carriage (in carrozza) and from that, the name stuck!
- This is a classic fried cheese sandwich that originated from Naples, Italy.
- Mozzarella in Carrozza happens to be one of those Italian ideas born in Naples using the simplest ingredients, with a huge impact on flavor with every bite.
Growing up, our mom made these mozzarellas in carrozza often. It was her “Italian version” of the American grilled cheese sandwiches.
So yummy and so good, they’re addicting!
I decided to only make one sandwich, and cut it into 4 mini cheese sandwiches, just like our mom did.
Serve as an appetizer or as a side with any of our 10 Healthy Vegetable Soups, or with our Classic Italian Minestrone Soup and you’ll have a simple and delicious lunch or dinner.
Crispy, crunchy bread on the outside with gooey-melted mozzarella on the inside, it’s no wonder why everyone loves them!
Who can resist?
SO tasty and so delicious with every bite! Once you try them, you’ll wonder why you didn’t hear about these sandwiches sooner.
Mozzarella in Carrozza brings back wonderful memories for us.
My husband and I can remember traveling through Naples, Italy, and couldn’t help notice, that “Mozzarella in Carrozza” appeared on every menu in practically every trattoria, restaurant.
Still today, it’s a staple dish in many restaurants throughout the city of Naples.
How To Make Mozzarella in Carrozza?
With 4 staple ingredients, these little fried cheese sandwiches are ready to serve in no time!
First, slice the mozzarella into 1/4 or 1/2- inch slices. Then slice 2 pieces of bread into 4 equal squares.
Place one slice of mozzarella between two slices of bread.
In a small bowl, lightly beat one egg with half and half, and in a second bowl, add some flour for dredging.
Heat up about 1/4 -inch of oil in a small frying pan. Take one sandwich at a time, dredge into flour then dip into the egg mixture, coating both sides.
When the oil is hot, fry each one for about 1 minute per side, or until they are golden brown are both sides. Drain on paper towels. Then serve! 🙂
Your family will enjoy these simple cheese sandwiches!
Whether you make them into mini sizes or larger – or cut them into half-size portions, everyone will go bonkers after their first bite!
From kids to adults, when frying these mini mozzarella sandwiches in the kitchen, the delicious aroma will fill your home, calling everyone to the table! Take our word for it. 😉
A Few Notes and Tips…
- These fried cheese sandwiches are best consumed minutes after they are fried.
- You can make ahead a few hours, and reheat them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F (176.7 C), for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then serve.
MORE TASTY SANDWICHES!
- 2 slices of white bread, or Gluten-Free white bread
- 1 package of mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. of half and half or milk
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- olive oil, for frying
- Grab a small bowl and beat 1 egg, add 1 tablespoon of half and half (or milk), and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside. In a second small bowl add the flour.
- Cut the bread into quarters. Slice 4 pieces of the mozzarella (about 1/4-inch thick) and place each slice into each quarter of the bread.
- In a small frying pan, add about 1/4-inch olive oil. Preheat on medium-low heat.
- When the oil is hot, dip each mini sandwich into the flour and dredge all sides. Then dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, coating all sides. Add it to the hot oil and lightly fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per side, turning them over once, or until the mozzarella is melted.
- Drain on paper towels. Optional: Sprinkle with some fresh cracked pepper on top. Serve warm.
- Yields: 4 mini mozzarellas in Carrozza
Cooks Notes: You if plan to double the recipe, you will need to add one egg for every 2 slices of bread. Plus, you can make them into normal size sandwiches and cut them in half. The mini sizes are wonderful to serve as a quick appetizer while the family is waiting for dinner. And, they reheat in the oven, perfectly.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 6.3gCarbohydrates: 8.8gProtein: 4.8g
…Thanks for Pinning!!
|Serving size: 1 serving|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.3g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1.7g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|
|Total Sugars 0.5g|
|Vitamin D 4mcg||22%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily di|