Love a grilled cheese sandwich? Try these Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches that are baked! These are made with homemade pimento cheese and baked until crispy on buttery toasted bread. Oozing with cheese in every bite, these Southern favorites might just be one of the best foods in the world, and your whole family will love them!
Best part? These pimento cheese sandwiches are baked in the oven so you can make as many as you need – and all at once!
Pimento Cheese Sandwiches…
- Loaded with flavor!
- Enjoy these grilled pimento cheese sandwiches alone or serve them with a side of soup or salad.
- They make great little appetizers, especially if you cut these sandwiches into 4 mini triangles, as I did here.
- The kids will love them too!
Everyone should taste the South Carolina pimento cheese and find out what makes this delicious cheese spread a true Southern delicacy!
A few years ago, we posted a recipe for The Palmetto Cheese Burger, with pimento cheese as one of the toppings. It was the most delicious melting cheese on a grilled burger too!
Have you ever heard of pimento cheese? Well, you’re not alone!
Pimento cheese is a “thing” here in the South.
You can bet that there is a cocktail party here in Charleston, there will no doubt be a tray of mini white bread sandwiches filled with pimento cheese as one of the hors d’oeuvres being served.
And they are SO yummy!
And if you have never had one before? Then take a seat and keep reading…
Pimento cheese is a cheese spread made here in the South using locally sourced ingredients, sharp cheddar cheese, diced pimentos, and Duke’s mayonnaise (which hails from South Carolina), and makes a true Southern delicacy.
Over the past few years, pimento cheese has become a popular item on menus in many restaurants here in Charleston, South Carolina.
Can you find this “popular pimento cheese” already made in containers?
- Yes, you can.. and definitely in every supermarket here in the South.
- But if you look carefully at the list of ingredients on those containers, you will see more “unwanted ingredients”, including preservatives and corn syrup. …No thanks!
Making pimento cheese from scratch is so much better and healthier!
Besides, baking them in the oven is easier than grilling on the stove-top.
Plus, it saves a lot of time. 😉
What are the Main Ingredients for Pimento Cheese?
The original recipe for South Carolina pimento cheese is made with only 3 simple ingredients, plus a few seasonings to add additional flavor.
3. and sharp cheddar cheese.
Yep – that’s it!
However, this recipe consists of additional ingredients to make these pimento cheese sandwiches pop! (*Full recipe card below!)
Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are one of the best foods in the world with melted cheese oozing in every bite!
Try these grilled pimento cheese sandwiches, they won’t disappoint!
Also, you may want to try another one of our all-time favorites, our Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich and our Easy Pimento Mac and Cheese!
Ok, now you can save, tag, or Pin it to one of your boards, thanks!
Additional recipes for delicious sandwiches:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise - divided
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces of cream cheese ( 1/2 of 4-ounce package) - softened
- 1/2 cup drained jarred pimentos- finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 12 slices of white sandwich bread - crusts trimmed
- 6 Tbsp. butter(3/4 stick) unsalted butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Arranges a rack to be in the center of the oven. Place a baking sheet in the middle rack while the oven is preheating.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion, dry mustard, cayenne pepper and saute until the onion is softened about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pimentos, Worchestershire, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Here is where you can add more mayonnaise, depending on the desired thickness (about 2 to 3 tablespoons).
- Stir until well combined. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spread pimento cheese on 6 slices of bread and press the remaining slices over them. Brush on both sides of each sandwich with melted butter.
- Using Oven safe mittens, remove the heated baking sheet from the oven, and set it on the stovetop. Arrange 6 sandwiches on a baking sheet and transfer to the middle rack of the oven.
- BAKE for 4 minutes, until the sandwiches are golden brown and remove and flip them over to the other side and continue to bake for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a rack to cool for about 2 minutes before cutting them diagonally into halves, or into 4 triangles. Use a sharp, pointed knife to cut them. Serve warm.
- Yields: 6 sandwiches, or if cut into fourths, 24 mini sandwiches
Serving Size:1 half sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 16.3gCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: .3gSugar: 2.7gProtein: 7.6g
If you try our grilled pimento cheese sandwiches recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes, and on Pinterest. We’d love to see what you cook!
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes FREE every time we post! Also, follow us on Facebook. Recipe adapted from Maria Del Mar in her book Winter Cocktails.
Happy Cooking! 🙂
xo anna and liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!