Best Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are ones that are filled with homemade pimento cheese and baked with a buttery toasted bread until crispy and crunchy! Oozing with cheese in every bite, these Southern favorites might just be one of the best foods in the world! And one your whole family will love!
Best part? These grilled pimento cheese sandwiches are baked in the oven so you can make as many as you need all at once!
Have you ever heard of pimento cheese? Well, you’re not alone!
Pimento cheese is a “thing” here in the South and you can bet where ever there is a cocktail party here in Charleston, there will no doubt be a tray of mini white bread sandwiches filled with pimento cheese as one of the hors d’oeuvres being served.
And they are SO yummy!
And if you have never had one before? Then take a seat and keep reading…
Pimento cheese is a cheese spread made here in the South using locally sourced ingredients, sharp cheddar cheese, diced pimentos and Duke’s mayonnaise (which hails from South Carolina), and makes a true Southern delicacy.
Over the past few years, pimento cheese has become a popular item on menus in many restaurants here in Charleston, South Carolina.
Can you find this popular pimento cheese already made in containers? Yes, you can.. and definitely in every supermarket here in the South.
But when I looked carefully at the list of ingredients on those containers, I noticed there were more ingredients I didn’t care for or even wanted, including preservatives and corn syrup. No thanks!
Making pimento cheese from scratch is so much better and healthier! And, baking them in the oven is easier than grilling on stove-top. It saves me a lot of time.
Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches oozing with melted cheese in every bite, makes them one of the best foods in the world!
The original recipe for South Carolina pimento cheese is made with only 3 simple ingredients: mayonnaise, pimentos and sharp cheddar cheese. Yep – that’s it! So easy – right?
However, I found this recipe in a book and wanted to give it a try.
You can enjoy these grilled pimento cheese sandwiches alone or serve them with a side of soup or salad. They make great little appetizers, especially if you cut these sandwiches into 4 mini triangles.
The kids will love them too!
Try these grilled pimento cheese sandwiches and taste the South Carolina pimento cheese and find out what makes this delicious cheese spread a true Southern delicacy!
Ok, now you can save, tag, or Pin it to one of your boards, thanks!
A few years ago, I posted a recipe for The Palmetto Cheese Burger, with pimento cheese as one of the toppings. It was the most delicious melting cheese on a grilled burger too!
Also, you may want to try another one of our all-time favorites, our Grilled Cheese and Pear Sandwich and our Easy Pimento Mac and Cheese!
And, in case you are looking for the original SC recipe for pimento cheese? – Click here!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 7 minutes
Total Time 22 minutes
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise - divided
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) finely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces of cream cheese ( 1/2 of 4-ounce package) - softened
- 1/2 cup drained jarred pimentos- finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 12 slices of white sandwich bread - crusts trimmed
- 6 Tbsp. butter(3/4 stick) unsalted butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Arranges a rack to be in the center of the oven. Place a baking sheet in the middle rack while the oven is preheating.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion, dry mustard, cayenne pepper and saute until the onion is softened about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pimentos, Worchestershire and the remaining 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Here is where you can add more mayonnaise, depending on the desired thickness (about 2 to 3 tablespoons).
- Stir until well combined. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spread pimento cheese on 6 slices of bread and press the remaining slices over them. Brush on both sides of each sandwich with melted butter.
- Using Oven safe mittens, remove the heated baking sheet from the oven, and set it on the stovetop. Arrange 6 sandwiches on a baking sheet and transfer to the middle rack of the oven.
- BAKE for 4 minutes, until the sandwiches are golden brown and remove and flip them over to the other side and continue to bake for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a rack to cool for about 2 minutes before cutting them diagonally into halves, or into 4 triangles. Use a sharp, pointed knife to cut them. Serve warm.
- Yields: 6 sandwiches, or if cut into fourths, 24 mini sandwiches