EASY Oven-Braised Pulled Pork Sandwiches are pork tenderloins quickly seared on stove-top and then thrown into the oven to finish cooking for additional time. Super moist and tender pieces of shredded pork tenderloin are simmered in the oven, then mixed with some barbecue sauce to give it a velvety texture. And served as sandwiches on toasted buns. Amazing! It’s no wonder, pulled pork sandwiches are a staple dish here in the South!
The other day, I needed to get dinner ready by 6:30 pm. But I was going to be out of the house for 2 hours before that, taking our guests to see the city of Charleston.
To complicate things even further, I had a pork tenderloin that I wanted to turn into pulled pork. I hadn’t planned far enough ahead ( welcome to my world) to make it stove-top, which requires you to keep an eye on it, or have time to use a slow cooker.
Braising the pork in the oven. Yes. It’s faster than a slow cooker and equally no fuss. It was really easy.
I used my Dutch oven to saute the onions with olive oil, then added my pork tenderloin, white wine, and beef broth. Next, place the entire pot into the oven and left it to simmer and cook for two hours.
In case you’re wondering, in the South, Pulled Pork is usually made in a slow cooker or smoked in a giant green egg (I didn’t know what that was until we moved here), with some barbecue sauce and seasonings.
By the time I got home with our guests, the pork was so tender, it was easy to pull the pork apart. I served pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and with a side of fries, which I was to bake them when I returned home.
Also, added an additional side of coleslaw to go with it and dinner was complete!
We actually sat outside to enjoy some “alfresco” dining. Since this was the first time our guests had pulled pork sandwiches – before I could ask them how were they?
They were devoured in minutes! So much, I almost didn’t get these photos to show you!
Since we moved to the South, pulled pork sandwiches have become a popular dish in our home as well. After you’ve had one, you’ll understand why!
Ingredients Needed for EASY Oven-Braised Pulled Pork Sandwiches:
1 large yellow onion – finely chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch chunks
2 cups beef or chicken broth
2 cups white wine
1/2 cup barbecue sauce, and extra to taste
Optional: 1 to 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
8 buns, toasted
MORE TASTY SANDWICHES!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
- 1 large yellow onion - finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 2 cups white wine
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, and extra to taste
- Optional: 1 to 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 8 buns, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove one or two racks from the oven to fit for the large pot.
- In a large, oven-safe pot, such as a Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, sauté the onions with olive oil until soft and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pork tenderloin chunks, and lightly brown the pork on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine and broth. Bring to a simmer. Turn off stove-top.
- Cover the pot with the lid and carefully transfer it to the oven. Cook for 2 hours, or until the pork is extremely tender and easily falls apart.
- Remove the pot from the oven and use a fork or slotted spoon to transfer the pork to a plate. Remove the remaining liquid from the pot.
- Mix the barbecue sauce with the hot sauce, (the hot sauce is optional to give a little heat). Return the pork to the pot, and stir in the sauce to coat.
- Reheat, if needed. Serve the pulled pork on toasted buns.
- Serves 8