Roast-Beef and Corned Beef Sandwiches with Spicy Slaw. Thinly sliced roast beef and thinly sliced corned beef are layered onto a fresh loaf of Italian bread and topped with a delicious spicy slaw, makes a huge hit at family gatherings. Especially on game nights!
To make a simple spicy slaw, you need to make a spicy mayo. Only this time I used a veganaise instead of the usual mayonnaise. Why?
When I found out one of our guests had a lactose intolerant condition, I knew I needed to switch out the mayonnaise to something else.
I bought a jar of vegan-mayo (spelled as Vegenaise) at Wholefoods. It is a vegan mayo dressing and a sandwich spread, similar to the taste of mayonnaise.
But it is completely dairy-free and gluten-free.
My friend Nicole gave me her recipe for the spicy condiment she uses on her sandwiches, using only 3 ingredients, the Vegenaise, Dijon mustard, and some soy sauce.
Together, they created flavors similar to horseradish.
Nice and spicy!
And, it made the perfect condiment for these sandwiches!
Make Roast Beef and Corned Beef Sandwiches with Spicy Slaw:
I bought 2 loaves of Italian bread to make these sandwiches. The first one is filled with sliced corned beef and the other with sliced roast beef.
Each loaf of bread is splattered with some spicy mayo and topped with sliced cabbage.
These sandwiches came together very fast and easily, about 10 minutes to prepare them and serve.
Both loaves, sliced on a diagonal were served with some beer, red wine, and our favorite crunchy broccoli salad and a super-easy lasagna as a side dish.
The sandwiches turned out really good! They were so easy, I might make them again for the Super Bowl game this weekend!
These sandwiches are also good with baked ham or pastrami. Try them.
Ingredients Needed for Roast-Beef Sandwiches with Spicy Slaw:
3 Tbsp. Vegenaise (or Mayonnaise)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard ( I used Grey Poupon)
1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 head of small green cabbage- thinly sliced
1 small onion- thinly sliced
1/2 to 3/4 pound thinly sliced Roast-Beef, or Corned Beef
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1 baguette or a loaf of Italian Semolina Bread
MORE TASTY SANDWICHES!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. Vegenaise (or Mayonnaise)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard ( I used Grey Poupon)
- 1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 head of small green cabbage- thinly sliced
- 1 small onion- thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound thinly sliced Roast-Beef, or Corned Beef
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 baguette or a loaf of Italian Semolina Bread
- In a small bowl, whisk together the first 3 ingredients.
- Slice the baguette in half. Generously spread some spicy mayonnaise on both sides of the bread. Add a layer of roast beef, and a thin layer of sliced onions on top. Add some fresh cracked pepper to taste. Spread some shredded cabbage on top. Close the bread, and slice the bread on a diagonal.
- Transfer to a platter.
- Best served at room temperature.
- Note: You can mix the spicy mayo with the cabbage and onions together. Here, I decided not to, simply because it was easier to assemble without a mess.
- Yields: 6 to 8 small sandwiches with 1 baguette