Need a lasagna? Then try our quick and easy method, How To Make Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles with our 4 easy-to-follow steps! A delicious casserole that comes together quickly, with an unexpected way to construct lasagna using only 6 ingredients, this family-style lasagna with no-boil noodles can be ready to bake in minutes! And it freezes beautifully too!
Lasagna is LOVED by everyone!
What better way to put a family-style meal together and one that is loaded with melted cheese on top and in between layers? Not to mention, it contains a delicious meat sauce for protein! (it’s the best!)
Our lasagna is made with only a few ingredients and can be easily constructed on the same day and baked for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Perfect! An ideal meal to serve family and friends.
How To Make Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles is EASIER than you may think!
With our Step-by-Step photos and tutorial, you’ll learn how to make this lasagna with no-boil noodles in just 4 easy steps!
Here is a TRUE STORY…
As a little girl, I remembered watching our mom make lasagna, and she would make it the traditional way. Back in the day, it would literally take her all day to make her lasagna.
First, our mom would make her homemade tomato sauce. Second, she had to make her mini meatballs to layer them in between the noodles. Then she’d boil the lasagna noodles, and assemble them together. It would take her hours to prepare, and because it was so much work back then, I never had the desire to make lasagna – EVER!!
Until I discovered these “no-boil” noodles! And then my life was changed! …(literally)
So let’s get back to making our Lasagna – the easier way!
For this recipe you will need:
Already Prepared Bolognese Sauce: you will need at least 6 cups.
*This is the key to making this lasagna so quick and easy. We make our mom’s classic bolognese sauce often, keeping it on hand, and even freezing it so we can make this family-style lasagna when we need one!
One box of the “No-boil” lasagna noodles: sometimes they are called Oven-Ready lasagna sheets.
One (15-ounce) container of ricotta cheese: (original, whole milk)
Grated Parmesan cheese
Shredded mozzarella: at least two (8-ounces) packages.
Half & Half cream: or you can use heavy cream.
One Large Baking Dish, a 3 Qt. Pyrex or ceramic baking dish, about 9 x 12-inch.
How to Make Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles (4 -Easy Steps):
1. First, place all ingredients on the counter, along with a 12 x 9 baking dish. This will make it easier to assemble the lasagna in about 15 minutes or less.
2. Second, if you have already prepared bolognese sauce on hand, and it has been chilled, check to see if your Bolognese sauce is too thick. If chilled, usually the sauce might be too thick and will need a little water to help make it easier to spread it; therefore, stir in 1/4 cup of water or more if needed.
NEXT, grab your ladle and two spoons. One spoon for the grated cheese, and the other to spread the ricotta cheese.
Now You Are Ready To Begin!
Starting with a heaping ladle of Bolognese sauce and spread it evenly on the bottom of the baking dish, about 1 cup to 1 +1/2 cups.
1. Make the 1st Layer: Lay the no-boil noodle sheets to cover the surface.
Don’t worry if they don’t cover entirely, the noodles will expand while baking. You may even need to break corners, or you can over-lap the lasagna sheets, to make them fit.
2. Create the 2nd Layer: Top those noodles with another heaping ladle of sauce and cover evenly, adding as much sauce as needed.
Then spread a layer of shredded mozzarella, then sprinkle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
3. Create the 3rd Layer: Top with a layer of no-boil noodles and with another heaping ladle of sauce, covering evenly and adding as much sauce as needed.
Next, top with 4 to 6 heaping spoons of ricotta cheese. Using the back of your spoon, tap the ricotta cheese to help flatten it out. No need to spread it evenly, the ricotta cheese will melt evenly while baking.
Then top with a generous amount of grated Parmesan cheese, about 2 tablespoons.
4. The 4th & Final Layer: Cover with another layer of no-boil noodles, and break some noodles if you have to, to make them fit.
Don’t be afraid to overlap the noodles, if you have to. Spread the final layer of Bolognese sauce on top. Sprinkle on top with shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
Finally, drizzle over the lasagna with some half & half cream. Grab a sheet of foil wrap and lightly spray one side of the foil with cooking oil.
Then COVER with foil wrap (with the side sprayed down). This will prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil wrap while baking.
NOTE: Here is where you can freeze the lasagna, before baking it.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes.
After it’s baked, carefully remove the foil cover, and continue to bake uncovered for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted on top, and it’s bubbling around the edges.
Remove from oven. Let it sit, and rest for 5 minutes before cutting. Then cut into pieces and serve!
Serves 6 to 8.
Doesn’t lasagna look delicious?
The half and half cream on top will give a touch of creaminess to this lasagna making it rich and savory. No need to make additional Bechamel sauce for this one. Sometimes, simple is better!
This lasagna makes such a delicious meal! I bet everyone will ask for seconds and maybe even thirds!
Notes and Tips for Success:
Ovens will vary. Keep in mind these are only guidelines, and you may need to bake it a few minutes longer.
Can We Use Store-Bought Jarred Meat Sauce? Yes, you can! You can use your favorite jarred bolognese sauce, with no heating required.
If the Bolognese Sauce is very cold, straight from the refrigerator, and you want to bake the lasagna as soon as you make it, keep in mind, you will need to increase your baking time 10 to 15 minutes or longer. This will ensure your lasagna is completely heated thoroughly.
Buy good quality ricotta cheese. I prefer to use whole milk ricotta, and you will need more than 1 cup or 1.5 cups of ricotta cheese. Ricotta cheese will melt while baking and will blend evenly, no need to spread it perfectly. Sometimes less is better; if you add too much ricotta cheese will be overpowering.
Keep in mind, if you make ahead and chill your lasagna before baking it, it’s best to take it out and allow lasagna to warm up on your counter before baking. Then follow the directions in our recipe card below.
How Do We Know When It’s Heated Thoroughly? When you place a fork or butter knife in the center of the lasagna, it should come out steaming hot, and not cold to the touch. If the knife comes out steaming hot, then it’s ready.
Storing and Freezing Lasagna:
Cover with foil wrap and freeze lasagna, after it’s been assembled and UNBAKED. Prepare it as we did here, cover with foil wrap, then place it in your freezer, good up to two months. Any longer, you risk freezer burn.
When ready to bake! It’s best to allow the lasagna to rest on your kitchen counter, to fully defrost, about 5 hours or more. Or, defrost in your refrigerator overnight. Then preheat your oven, and follow the rest of the directions in our recipe card.
If you defrost it in your refrigerator overnight, chances are, it may not be completely defrosted. Check it to see if it’s still partially frozen, and allow it to sit on the counter to warm up to room temperature for about one hour before baking.
Ok, now you can save, print, tag, or PIN!
Looking for More Delicious and Easy Casseroles…try these:
Best Zucchini Lasagna – Without Noodles! (gluten-free).
Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese (gluten-free).
And for lasagna with fewer calories and fat, try our Easy Meat Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles-Lightened!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 6 cups Bolognese sauce
- 1 box No-boil lasagna noodles (Oven-Ready lasagna sheets)
- 1 (15-ounce) container of ricotta cheese (original, whole milk)
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese - divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, and extra- divided
- 1/4 cup Half & Half cream (or heavy cream)
- Preheat Oven 375 degrees F (190 C). Use a 9 x 12 baking dish ( Pyrex or foil pan).
- First Layer: Spread 1 cup or more on the bottom of the baking dish with Bolognese sauce, and spread it evenly. Lay the lasagna sheets over the sauce, breaking pieces, or overlaying if you need to cover the sauce.
- Second Layer: Next, top the noodles with another heaping ladle of bolognese sauce, about another cup. Cover evenly. Then spread a layer of shredded mozzarella, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Third Layer: Lay another layer of no-boil lasagna noodles. Spread with another heaping ladle of meat sauce, covering evenly. Next, top with 6 spoonfuls of ricotta cheese. Using the back of your spoon, tap the ricotta cheese to help flatten it out. No need to spread it evenly, the ricotta cheese will melt evenly while baking. Then sprinkle with 1 or 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Fourth Layer: Cover with another layer of no-boil noodles, breaking some noodles if you have to, to make them fit, or overlap if fine too. Then add a layer of Bolognese sauce on top. Sprinkle on top with shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Finally, drizzle 1/4 cup of half & half cream over the lasagna. COVER with foil wrap.
- BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes. Carefully pull out the lasagna, remove the foil cover, and return it to the oven to continue to bake uncovered for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, until the cheese is completely melted and it's bubbling around the edges of the baking dish.
- Remove from oven, allow it to rest for a few minutes before cutting. Then cut into individual pieces and serve.
- Serves 6 to 8
You can freeze lasagna, after it's been assembled and UNBAKED. Prepare it as we did here, cover with foil wrap, then place it in your freezer, good up to one month. Any longer, you risk freezer burn.
When ready to bake! It's best to allow the lasagna to rest on your kitchen counter, to fully defrost, about 5 hours or more. Or, defrost in your refrigerator over night. Then preheat your oven, and follow the rest of the directions in our recipe card.
If you defrost it in your refrigerator overnight, chances are, it may not be completely defrosted. Check it to see if it's still partially frozen, and allow it to sit on counter to warm up to room temperature, about one hour or more before baking.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 7.6gCarbohydrates: 41gProtein: 22g