Easy Baked Long Fusilli Casserole is the same as Baked Spaghetti, only this one features long curly fusilli pasta, layered with marinara sauce, and cheeses. Then baked until the cheeses are perfectly melted. So yummy, it makes the perfect meal on those busy weeknights when you need one!
Easy Baked Spaghetti Casserole…
Baked long fusilli casserole is like a cousin to our lasagna, only its easier!
It’s layered with our mom’s marinara sauce, topped with ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheese. Then baked until the cheeses are perfectly melted.
Delicious and creamy inside, with a fun curly noodle texture that surprises everyone after their first bite.
This baked long fusilli casserole can become your next favorite dish to make!
How To Make Baked Long Fusilli Casserole?
If you LOVE baked spaghetti? Then you’ll fall in love with this recipe!
With a few easy steps and a handful of ingredients, we’ll show you how to make this easy-baked long fusilli casserole right in your own kitchen!
So let’s get started!
Ingredients Needed for Baked Long Fusilli Casserole:
For this recipe, you will need a few ingredients:
- about 3 to 4 cups of prepared tomato sauce
- one package (16 ounces) of long fusilli pasta
- 1 large container of part-skim or whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- and a package of shredded mozzarella
- plus, a 9 x 13 baking dish
A FEW QUICK NOTES…
- Keep in mind, I prefer to use whole milk ricotta with this recipe, simply because it tastes better and it will “melt” creamier.
- But part-skim ricotta will work just fine (which is what I had on hand).
- Also, fresh-tasting tomato sauce is key to making this pasta dish taste even more delicious!
- We prefer to use our Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce for this easy recipe!
DIRECTIONS TO MAKE EASY BAKED LONG FUSILLI CASSEROLE:
First, bring a pot of water to a full boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water. When water comes to a full boil, toss in the fusilli pasta and gently give it a stir.
Meanwhile, heat up some marinara sauce (about 4 cups) on the stove-top, or in the microwave until it’s very hot.
Next, using a large ladle, spread on the bottom of the casserole dish a layer of tomato sauce, about 1 + 1/2 cups.
4. Place the rest of the ingredients nearby, and next to your 9 x 13 pyrex baking dish.
5. When fusilli pasta is al-dente (tender to the bite), drain in a colander, and immediately transfer into the casserole dish, over the layer of tomato sauce. Use a fork to help spread the fusilli pasta evenly. QUICK NOTE: The curly pasta will start to absorb the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
6. Next, top the steaming pasta with a few spoonfuls of ricotta cheese, and spread it (the best you can) with the back of the spoon. Don’t worry if it’s not spread evenly – it will melt while baking.
7. Next, spoon the remaining marinara sauce on top and spread it evenly using the back of the spoon. Make sure the layer of tomato sauce covers the curly pasta entirely. Then sprinkle with a generous amount of grated Parmesan cheese on top.
8. Finally, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella on top. Cover with a sheet of aluminum and BAKE in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for about 20 to 25 minutes, then remove the aluminum and continue to bake for additional 5 minutes until the cheese on top is completely melted
9. Set it aside for a few minutes before cutting. Cut into squares and serve it like a lasagna.
Can we make it with a different Sauce?
*Keep in mind, that baking times will vary depending on the brand and the age of the oven you own.
Easy Baked Long Fusilli Casserole makes the perfect meal and one the whole family will enjoy!
This is an easy and delicious casserole to serve your family and friends.
The kids will love the curly pasta texture along with the creaminess from the melted ricotta and melted cheese on top.
Made with only 5 ingredients, and baked in less than 30 minutes, helps me put dinner on the table in a snap!
It’s a win-win all the way! Try this recipe!
…Don’t forget to Pin and Share!
Finally, More Delicious Ideas for Baked Casseroles!
- Easy Meat Lasagna with No-Boil Noodles.
- BEST Zucchini Lasagna without Noodles.
- Homemade Lasagne with Vegetables
- Pasta Alla Nonna
- BEST Rice Ball Casserole Stuffed with Meat and Peas.
- Macaroni and Cheese with Pancetta and Caramelized Onions.
- 1 pound long fusilli pasta
- 4 cups prepared tomato sauce - divided ( I used marinara sauce)
- 6 to 7 heaping spoonfuls of ricotta cheese (part-skim or whole milk)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
- One 9 x 13 baking dish
- Preheat oven to Bake at 375 degrees F.
- First, cook the fusilli pasta in a large pot of boiling water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the boiling water. Cook the pasta to an al-dente texture, or when it is tender to the bite. Then, drain the pasta in a colander.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat tomato sauce on the stovetop until very hot. Spread 1 + 1/2 cups of prepared tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9 X 12 baking dish ( 3 quarts or 2.8 L). Set it aside.
- NEXT, immediately transfer the fusilli pasta into the baking dish and use a fork to help spread the curly pasta into an even layer.
- Grab some spoonfuls (about 6) of ricotta cheese and place them on top of the pasta while it's still steaming hot. Using the back of your spoon, spread the ricotta cheese over the pasta. Do not worry, it doesn't have to be perfect, since the ricotta cheese will melt and will even out through this casserole while baking.
- Then pour the remaining sauce on top and spread it to cover the entire surface of the fusilli pasta.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, and then with shredded mozzarella on top.
- Cover with foil wrap. Here is where you can refrigerate it if you make it ahead. Or until you are ready to bake it. However, you will need more baking time to heat this casserole thoroughly.
- BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes. Carefully remove the foil cover and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until the mozzarella is completely melted on top and bubbling around the sides. The casserole should be thoroughly heated when it's steaming from the center and sides.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Set aside on the stove for 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into individual servings and serve. Serve warm.
- Yields: 9 servings.
If you refrigerate this casserole, you will need to leave it out on the counter to warm up to room temperature, at least one hour. And you will need to bake it for more time, about 45 to 55 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until the casserole is heated through.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 8.8gCarbohydrates: 48.6gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 5.5gProtein: 18.6g