Zucchini Tomato Sauce over Fusilli Pasta is made with fresh zucchini, chopped onions, garlic and parsley, sauteed until softened, and blended with some marinara sauce. Served over Fusilli pasta, this makes dinner ready in no time!
Nothing ordinary when it comes to this Zucchini Tomato Sauce! The flavors are exquisite when combining fresh zucchini with onions and fresh parsley, blended with mom’s quick marinara sauce, and tossed with Fusilli pasta. This is one everyday easy and extraordinarily delicious dish!
All you need is 1 large sweet onion, garlic, fresh parsley, 2 large zucchini’s, 1 cup of already made marinara sauce, which I tend to keep in my fridge weekly, and 1 package of Fusilli pasta.
Our mom’s recipe for Zucchini Tomato Sauce is very simple and very EASY!
First, saute onions and parsley together for 1 to 2 minutes. Next, add in the zucchini, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper.
Cover and simmer while stirring until the zucchini is softened and tender to the bite. About 12 to 15 minutes.
In the meantime, boil water in a large cooking pot. Add 1 heaping teaspoon to the boiling water and toss in your Fusilli pasta. Follow the directions to the package. Drain when pasta is al-dente.
While the pasta is cooking, pour 1 cup of Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce or any fresh marinara sauce you may have on hand into the zucchini mixture and stir until heated through. Then turn off the heat.
Now the Zucchini Tomato Sauce is ready for you to serve over your Fusilli pasta.
A perfect meatless meal to serve over the weekend, or on Meatless Mondays. Serve this dish with a mixed green salad and dinner is ready in 30 minutes!
Throughout the years, mom always gave us good advise. And that is, to plan ahead our meals, either in the morning or the night before. Sounds impossible?
Not at all! She reminds us often that if you have fresh tomato sauce on hand and fresh vegetables in the fridge, you could easily whip up a couple of fast meals during the week.
Zucchini Tomato Sauce is versatile because you can serve the zucchini sauce alone, as a side dish with grilled fish or chicken, or serve it with pasta as we did here.
Zucchini Tomato Sauce over Fusilli Pasta is SO GOOD! Everyone will ask you for seconds! Best served with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese at the table.
Thanks for Pinning!!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large zucchini's - sliced into small pieces
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 cup mom's quick marinara sauce
- 1 pound Fusilli pasta
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- In a large saute pan, heat on medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and fresh chopped parsley and cook and stir them until onions have soften, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped zucchini, salt, crushed red pepper and some black pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low for 1 to 2 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Then simmer on low heat for additional 15 to 18 minutes. Zucchini should be softened and tender to the bite.
- Pour in 1 cup of marinara sauce and stir to blend. Simmer for 1 minute to heat the sauce through. Turn off heat and keep it covered.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Toss in the Fusilli pasta and cook according to the directions on the package or until al-dente.
- Drain the Fusilli pasta. Transfer the pasta back into the pot. Toss in 3 tablespoons of butter, and stir until the butter is completely melted into the pasta.
- Serve Fusilli pasta into individual pasta dishes with zucchini tomato sauce on top.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
- Serves 4 to 6