Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese is a delicious meal that can be prepared in advance and baked just before serving. With thin slices of zucchini stuffed with spinach and cheese filling, topped with fresh tomato sauce and melted mozzarella, what’s not to love!
If you love zucchini, then this recipe is for you!
This recipe for zucchini rollatini is a 2 step process. First, you will need to roast the zucchini slices for a few minutes to make them soft enough to work with.
Second, you will need to make the filling, then roll each slice and bake again for at least 25 minutes. Zucchini rollatini is a substantial and satisfying meal. You can enjoy these rolls guilt-free.
Ingredients for Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese:
To make zucchini rollatini with spinach and cheese, you will need:
Zucchini: 2 large zucchini is sufficient for 4 to 5 servings.
Extra virgin olive oil: is drizzled on the bottom of the pan for the zucchini slices.
Shredded cheese: 1/2 cup of smoked or natural mozzarella, either one is fine.
Grated Parmesan cheese: you will need at least a 1/4 cup.
Eggs: only 1 egg is needed.
Ricotta cheese: 1 (8-ounce) container of ricotta, whole or part-skim is fine.
Frozen spinach: one 10-ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.
Seasonings: you will need salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
Tomato sauce: one cup of prepared marinara sauce, or more if desired.
Fresh basil: is sprinkled on top before serving, gives these rolls a fresh taste.
Directions For Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese:
1. First, slice zucchini into 1/4-inch thick slices or ribbons. Don’t worry if they are not sliced perfectly. We are not professional cook’s or chef’s. Besides, when you assemble these zucchini rolls and lay them side by side and bake them all together, it doesn’t matter. They will look beautiful and taste amazing!
2. NEXT, drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of a large baking sheet. Arrange zucchini slices in a single layer, the best you can.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 400F /(205C) for 5 to 6 minutes, then flip them over and bake for additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are tender and soft.
4. Remove zucchini from oven and set them aside to cool.
5. Meantime, make the spinach and cheese mixture. Use a fork to mix 1 egg, spinach, ricotta, shredded mozzarella, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder and some freshly grated black pepper, until well combined.
6. Spread 1/2 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. You can use an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish, or a 7 x 11-inch rectangular baking dish.
7. Place 1 tablespoon or more of the spinach filling near the bottom of a strip of zucchini. Roll it up and place, seam-side down in the baking dish. Continue and repeat with the remaining zucchini and filling.
8. Top the rolls with the remaining marinara sauce. Then sprinkle with remaining shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
9. Bake zucchini rollatini until bubbly and lightly browned on top, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with freshly chopped basil on top.
Cook’s Notes and Tips:
Try to find zucchini that are straight lengthwise and without a curve. It will be easier to slice them lengthwise.
Keep in mind, if you use a knife to slice the zucchini, you will get about 8 to 10 slices per zucchini.
It is much easier to use a vegetable peeler or a mandoline slicer to quickly slice the zucchini about 1/4 -inch thick into uniform strips. And, you may even get a few more slices of zucchini to make more rolls. Also, the thinner the slices are, the less baking time is needed to soften.
When you first bake the zucchini strips, you must keep an eye on them, so they don’t burn. They bake quickly, and will only need to get soften and tender for you to easily roll them.
If you have some zucchini slices that are a slightly little thicker than others, you may need to put those back into the oven for a minute or two more to soften.
If some slices are not uniform, NO worries! Use them anyway, and add some filling and roll them the best you can, because when you top them with sauce and cheese, they bake uniformly anyway. No one will notice anything.
When baking, you may notice a little extra water has been released from either the spinach or from the zucchini, making the sauce appear a little watery. NO worries, you may continue to bake for additional 5 minutes or so, until most of the liquid is absorbed; but not to the point it will dry out the sauce.
To Prepare in Advance:
Prepare zucchini rollatini (but do not bake it), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Then allow it to sit on the counter, warm up to room temperature, then bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.
A few more recipes to LOVE Gluten-free meals, try these:
Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 4 servings
Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese is made with ribbons of zucchini rolled with veggies and cheese. This is a light, delicious and gluten-free meal that can be prepared in advance and baked just before serving.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 + ½ Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup shredded smoked or regular mozzarella cheese - divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese -divided
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces ( 250g) of ricotta cheese (whole milk or part skim)
- 10-ounce (300 grams) package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce - divided
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 C).
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise to get about 8 to 10 slices per zucchini. You can slice them carefully using a knife, or it's much easier to use a vegetable peeler or a mandoline to quickly slice the zucchini about ¼ -inch thick, into uniform strips.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil on one or two large baking sheets. Spread zucchini slices on baking sheet, sprinkle lightly with some salt over them and bake for 5 to 6 minutes, until they soften and tender. Remove from oven, flip each one over and continue to bake for additional 5 minutes more. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix one egg, ricotta, spinach, garlic powder, ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella, 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese, salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Mix until well combined.
- Using an 8 x 8-inch baking dish, or a 7 x 11-inch baking dish. Spread ½ cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Take each zucchini slice, place it on a work surface. Take about a tablespoon of spinach mixture and place it near the bottom of the strip of zucchini. Roll it up and place, seam-side down, in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining zucchini and filling.
- Top the rolls with the remaining ½ cup marinara sauce, and sprinkle on top with the remaining shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese .
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Serves: 4 to 5 (4 rolls each)
Serving size: 4 to 5 rolls Calories: 315 Fat: 19g Saturated fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 17g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 561mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 26g Cholesterol: 92mg