Zucchini Stuffed with Bolognese and Cheese are zucchini boats loaded with a meaty bolognese sauce and topped with shredded mozzarella. YUM! A simple recipe for zucchini boats anyone can put together in minutes is an ideal keto, and gluten-free meal for the whole family to enjoy.
We love zucchini any way our mom makes them, sautéed, baked, steamed, but the one way we love them the most – is stuffed!
Zucchini is in full season and what better way to whip up a simple delicious meal?
What is a Zucchini Boat?
- Each zucchini is carefully hollowed out and stuffed with your favorite ingredients, such as veggies, grains, meats, and cheeses.
- Then they are baked in the oven, air-fryer, or cooked on your outside grill.
- This recipe is basically, fresh hollowed-out zucchini stuffed with a meat sauce and topped with 2 kinds of cheeses makes a perfect one-dish meal!
Plus, our zucchini boats are a satisfying, low-carb meal containing lots of protein.
Our mom LOVES to stuff vegetables and serve them as an easy meal during the summer months.
This idea for a fast & easy meal comes from our her, who gets all the credit for this recipe, and others like zucchini stuffed with sausage ragu, and fast & easy keto ravioli, just to name a few.
The best part? Just a quick prep and bake!
As long as you have extra “meaty sauce” in your fridge or freezer, this meal comes together in no time!
A FEW QUICK TIPS!
- I always make a huge batch of our Mom’s Classic Bolognese Sauce, usually on a rainy day or weekend, divide it into smaller containers, and then freeze them. Then defrost one each week to make different meals for dinner.
- With this recipe, you can even use your favorite “already made” jarred bolognese sauce.
Ok, now that you know how to make our zucchini boats, all you really need is to make a leafy green salad as a side, and dinner is done!
How To Make Zucchini Stuffed with Bolognese and Cheese?
*Follow along with our step-by-step directions, or jump down for our full recipe card!
Ingredients for Zucchini Stuffed with Bolognese and Cheese…
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
3 medium-size Zucchini
1 to 2 cups already prepared Bolognese Sauce
3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mozzarella
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Directions to Make Zucchini with Bolognese and Cheese:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (180C). Lightly spray a (3 quart) baking dish or a Pyrex dish with cooking oil and set aside.
2. On a cutting board, slice zucchini lengthwise, using a teaspoon and scoop out the seeds from the center, and lightly scrape the sides to remove all seeds from the zucchini, then transfer to a baking dish. Lightly season hollowed zucchini with some salt.
3. Fill each zucchini boat with some Bolognese sauce.
4. Scatter on top with some grated Parmigiano cheese, about 1 teaspoon or more, if needed.
5. Then top with some shredded mozzarella, and add some fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Here is where you can add more shredded mozzarella to your liking.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden color. QUICK NOTE: Zucchini is also done when you poke it with a fork to see if they are tender and soft. For softer and more cooked zucchini, bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove and serve.
Yields: 2 zucchini boats per person. Serves 3
The taste and flavors are so delicious that I make these zucchini boats with bolognese and cheese often! They’re that good! And you can be sure, this is a tried and true recipe!
For more gluten-free zucchini boats like this one, try our Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini and our Zucchini Pepperoni Pizza Boats. A great way to make a quick and easy meal when you need one!
Try it! It won’t disappoint!
Thanks for Pinning!
- 3 medium-size Zucchini
- 1 to 2 cups Bolognese Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mozzarella, and extra if you prefer
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- organic olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C). Lightly spray a (3 quart) baking dish or a Pyrex dish with cooking oil and set aside.
- On a cutting board, slice zucchini lengthwise, scoop out the seeds from the center, and place them on a baking dish. Lightly season hollowed zucchini with some salt.
- Fill each zucchini boat with some Bolognese sauce. Scatter on top each one with some grated Parmesan cheese.
- Then top each one with shredded mozzarella, and add some fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden color. You can also poke the zucchini with a fork to see if they are tender and cooked. For softer and more cooked zucchini, bake additional 10 minutes or more. Remove and serve. Yields 2 zucchini boats per person.
- Serves 3
If you use large size zucchini, you will need more baking time, about 10 to 15 minutes more.
Also, keep in mind, ovens will vary with cooking times,and that depends on the age of the oven you are using.
Serving Size:2 boats
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 6.8gCarbohydrates: 12.2gFiber: 3.5gSugar: 6.1gProtein: 10.7g