Shrimp Salad with Cajun Mayo on Toasted Croissant is sublime! When you take your first bite into this warm, crispy, flaky croissant that is filled with a creamy shrimp salad, mixed with a Cajun mayonnaise (that has a nice kick to it), celery, lemon juice, capers and topped with sliced tomatoes and crispy red lettuce is just amazing! Let’s just say it’s a Shrimp Salad with Cajun Mayo on Toasted Croissant sandwich that is irresistible!
Liz flew down last week for a surprise to visit and we went to downtown Charleston to have lunch in a quaint little restaurant. This shrimp salad croissant sandwich was on their menu and as always, I wanted to try something new! I loved it so much, I decided to go home and try to duplicate the recipe.
Our waitress was so kind and sweet, she wrote down the ingredients for me. But, it was up to me to figure out the measurements.
I decided to use Cajun seasonings and mixed it with some mayonnaise. Then added some lemon juice, capers, red onions, celery, fresh parsley and cayenne pepper to balance out the spiciness of the seasonings.
Then I boiled some fresh shrimp, chopped it and chilled it for a few minutes under ice. Next, mixed the ingredients all together, covered and chilled the shrimp salad for about an hour.
I bought some fresh croissants at Publix supermarket in their bakery section (the large ones). They made it very convenient to make these sandwiches for lunch. I only reheated them in the oven for a few minutes, enough to get them warm and crispy. Then I added some crispy lettuce, a slice of tomato, and some shrimp salad to complete the sandwich.
They were so YUM-MY!
Even though Autumn is approaching us, its still hot in the South (89 degrees) making it feel like it’s still summer around here! This recipe for Shrimp Salad with Cajun Mayo on Toasted Croissant is definitely a keeper! An excellent choice to make for a Sunday brunch too.
Thanks for Pinning!
Shrimp Salad with Cajun Mayo on Toasted Croissant
Recipe type: Lunch / Sandwich
Serves: 4 to 6
Shrimp Salad with Cajun Mayo on Toasted Croissant is perfect for lunch! Served on a warm, crispy, flaky croissant that is filled with a creamy shrimp salad, mixed with a Cajun mayonnaise (that has a nice kick to it), and topped with sliced tomatoes and crispy red lettuce is just amazing! Creamy delicious, your family will love the new flavors this sandwich has to offer!
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp. Cajun seasonings, (I used Frontier Cajun seasonings)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 small lemon- juiced
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. capers
- ¼ cup minced celery
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 bakery croissants
- 1 small head red lettuce, rinsed
- 2 ripe tomatoes-sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour 4 cups of water in a medium sauce pan over high heat. When water boils add the shrimp and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Shrimp is cooked when it turns to pink and its tender to the touch. Drain well. Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow shrimp to cool. Place in refrigerator to chill.
- When the shrimp are cold, chop them into bite-sized pieces. Return them to the mixing bowl and add the red onion, parsley, capers, celery, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Mix together until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to make the sandwiches. Place croissants in a toaster oven for about 2 to 3 minutes, until warm and lightly toasted. Slice croissants in half.
- Place a large piece of lettuce on the bottom of each croissant. Add one or two slices of tomato. Spread some shrimp salad on top. Add another piece of lettuce on top and close the sandwich. Serve.
- Serves: 4 to 6 Croissant Sandwiches