Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce is an ideal vegetable to use as a pasta alternative. This can be a spaghetti squash dish that will surprise your kids! Spaghetti squash is a delicious way to substitute eating real pasta, especially when you are looking for a light low-carb supper during weeknights, or just too tired to make a big dinner.
What is Spaghetti Squash?
Spaghetti squash is a large light yellow-pale orange, oval-shaped gourd with a mild flavor. The flesh, once baked, shreds into pieces that resemble spaghetti.
Cooking spaghetti squash is not complicated at all. In fact, this recipe is featured in most food magazines every year.
We love it because it’s a quick and easy dish to make, and super easy to clean up too!
HOW TO COOK SPAGHETTI SQUASH?
1. First, you need to cut the squash in half, lengthwise.
2. Scoop out the seeds and lightly rub olive oil inside the flesh. Drizzle with some salt and black pepper. Face them both down on a baking sheet or baking pan.
3. Then BAKE at high temperature for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the squash softens, when you press down on it.
QUICK NOTE: The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the squash.
4. Next, flip them over and take a fork to scrape the inside into “spaghetti-like” strands.
5. Serve in pasta bowls with some fresh marinara sauce on top and serve with some grated Parmesan cheese at the table.
SO amazingly delicious!
How to make this dish for spaghetti squash with tomato sauce even fast and easier.
I always have freshly made marinara sauce in my fridge, and it’s ready to use on recipes like this one. It only needs to reheat some in a small pot, then spoon the amount needed over each dish.
Or, if you prefer, you can use The Sunday Sauce with this dish as well.
A few weeks ago we posted our Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce and thought we could offer you another idea to use her sauce. It is the perfect sauce to make this squash flavorful!
Spaghetti squash is a healthy vegetable, super-fast, and gluten-free!
The kids really love this dish because it was so different.
Feel free to leave a comment and a star rating below. We’d love to hear from you.
Oh and don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and receive new recipes FREE every time we post!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
…. Thanks for Pinning!
- 1 medium size spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil - divided
- 2 cups Mom's Quick Marinara Sauce, heated through
- Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200C).
- Cut the squash in half, lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and discard them.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the inside of the squash and season with some salt and pepper.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the squash, cut side down on a baking sheet, and cover with foil wrap.
- Bake the squash for 35 to 45 minutes, (sometimes up to an hour) until the squash skin is soft when you press down on the squash. The baking time will vary depending on the size of the squash. Remove from oven and carefully turn them over.
- Using a fork, scrape the flesh creating strands of spaghetti. Place them into a large bowl. Cover to keep warm. When ready to serve, place the spaghetti squash into pasta bowls. Add some tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
- Serves 2 to 4
This recipe was originally posted in 2012, all content and recipe are the same, and only a few photos have been updated.
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!