Roasted Zucchini Parmesan Lightened! This deconstructed zucchini parmesan recipe will explode in your mouth with its flavors. Adapted from our mom’s original zucchini parmigiana, only this one is gluten-free and low in calories. Besides, it is delicious and very easy to make. If you love zucchini, then this Roasted Zucchini Parmesan-Lightened is for you!
Our Roasted Zucchini Parmesan is a gluten-free, low-calorie dish and one that will have everyone coming back for more! It is twice as delicious without weighing us down with extra calories and fat.
Making this zucchini parmesan as a side dish…
For this recipe, I used only 4 medium-size zucchini’s.
It made a wonderful and quick side dish for dinner. Plus, it was enough for 3 to 4 servings.
If you plan to make this dish and you need more servings, I do recommend to buy additional zucchini.
Plus, it is a good idea and to estimate about 1 zucchini per person, for servings.
How to Make Roasted Zucchini Parmesan – Lightened?
For this recipe, roasting slices of zucchini in the oven is a simple process.
1. First, zucchini are simply sliced then toss into a roasting pan with olive oil and salt and roasted in the oven until golden.
Keep in mind, it looks like there is a lot of zucchini in the pan, but they will shrink excessively when roasted.
2. Then they are immediately transferred to a serving platter and topped with a layer of fresh tomato sauce, and a generous amount of grated parmesan cheese, and ribbons of fresh basil.
The secret to its explosive flavors? …is this:
When the zucchini begins to absorb the tomato sauce and parmesan cheese along with the aromatic fresh basil, the magic begins!
All these fresh ingredients slowly infuse into the roasted zucchini, creating its amazing flavors!
Plus, this dish is even better if you use a very fresh homemade and light tomato sauce like our Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce.
Here are a few Quick Tips:
When I make a batch of our mom’s quick marinara sauce, I keep it tightly sealed in a jar and in my fridge so I can use it for recipes like this one.
Her sauce stays fresh for up to four days. And it freezes beautifully too.
What to Serve with our Roasted Zucchini Parmesan?
You can easily serve our roasted zucchini parmesan with any meats, poultry and seafood.
- Parmesan Crusted Turkey Cutlets
- Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese
- Bake or Roast Branzino with Lemon
- London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection
- Roasted Red Snapper Italian Style
Besides, if you’re a vegetarian, you can make it a meal all alone with a salad and some crusty bread on the side; or serve it with pasta.
Roasted Zucchini Parmesan is extremely light and flavorful, you’ll be amazed what a wonderful side dish this is!
It’s so flavorful – you’ll want to eat this dish all by yourself. It’s that good, and sort of irresistible in some way.
My family loved it!
Next time I think I will double the amount of zucchini’s so I can have leftovers for lunch the next day.
This recipe is adapted from our Mom’s original version of her zucchini parmigiana. Only hers is similar to a lasagna, and it’s loaded with layers and layers (it’s much heavier) of cheeses including mozzarella.
Don’t get me wrong, her zucchini parmesan is delicious too, but much heavier.
If you are short for time and looking for a very “light zucchini side dish” and one that reminds you of your favorite parmigiana recipe?
Then look no further. This is that recipe!
Simple. Easy. … and Totally Delicious.
Roasted Zucchini Parmesan is without a doubt a much lighter dish without sacrificing flavor! Try it, you’ll be glad you did.
…Thanks for Pinning!
If you enjoy our Zucchini Parmesan, then you might also enjoy our Roasted Eggplant Parm-Lightened as well!
Plus, try our Best Zucchini Lasagna – without Noodles! It’s gluten-free, light, and most delicious!!
Finally, more delicious Zucchini Recipes…
- Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese
- Fast & Easy Zucchini Tomato Soup
- Zucchini Sticks Oreganata
- Easy Italian Zucchini Stew
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 4 medium-sized zucchini - sliced round
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup marinara tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 large basil leaves - thinly sliced or chopped
- Preheat oven to Roast at 375 F. degrees (190C). Drizzle 1 tablespoon on the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- Scatter the sliced zucchini into the roasting pan, and season with a little salt and black pepper on top. Then drizzle on top with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Roast zucchini on the top rack in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, and shaking the pan to turn them over or you can flip them over with a spatula to roast the other side evenly. Then roast for an additional 10 minutes until they are golden.
- Remove and transfer to a serving platter. Then spoon a single layer of tomato sauce ( preferably marinara sauce), then with a generous layer of grated Parmesan cheese on top and fresh basil.
- Set the platter aside to sit for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serves 2 to 3
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 11gCarbohydrates: 14.5gFiber: 4gSugar: 8.2gProtein: 4g
|Serving size: 1 serving
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 11g
|Saturated Fat 1.8g
|Total Carbohydrate 14.5g
|Dietary Fiber 4g
|Total Sugars 8.2g
|Vitamin D 0mcg
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.
Hello friends! If you make our delicious roasted zucchini parmesan lightened, let us know and leave a comment below! Your comments and insights help everyone who reads them and it helps us too!
Have fun and snap a photo and share it! Please don’t forget to hashtag it on Instagram @2sistersrecipes and on Pinterest.
We’d love to see what you cook!
And don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and receive new recipes FREE every time we post!
Happy and Healthy Cooking and Roasting!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
xo Anna and Liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!