Zucchini Sticks Oreganata. This zucchini side dish is amazingly delicious and ready in 15 minutes! Zucchini is cut into 2-inch sticks, then sautéed in olive oil with fresh garlic and dried oregano until they are tender and golden brown. These zucchini sticks make a wonderful dish you can eat alone, or serve them as a side to complement almost anything. A delicious way to spice up zucchini this time of year!
If you’re pretty much familiar with this green squash, it’s a vegetable that doesn’t need to be embellished with a lot of seasonings or herbs.
Sometimes too many seasonings can kill the flavor altogether, which is why we believe less is more when it comes to cooking fresh vegetables.
Zucchini Sticks Oreganata is easily sautéed within minutes, with fewer steps than most recipes.
We love the simplicity of this dish. It doesn’t take much to make them tasty, the fresh garlic along with the oregano adds a lot of flavor to them- making them come alive!
Oreganata usually means cooking with oregano and breadcrumbs, but I decided to omit the breadcrumbs for my gluten-free friends and they still tasted amazing!
My family really loved them, they even asked for seconds and thirds at the table. Next time, I will have to double my batch!
*You can follow along below or jump down to the bottom of this post for our full recipe card!
Ingredients for Zucchini Sticks Oreganata:
5 small zucchini- lightly peeled, cut into sticks, 2-inch length and 1/2-inch thick
3 Tbsp. olive oil – divided
2 garlic cloves – minced
Kosher salt, to taste
fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1. In a medium or large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add one-third of the zucchini sticks. Cook and stir occasionally, until the zucchini begins to turn brown and is almost tender about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Then sprinkle over them with some of the prepared garlic and oregano. Season with salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Sauté for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
Stirring until garlic and oregano are well combined.
3. Remove and transfer to a serving platter.
4. Repeat this process 2 more times until all the zucchini sticks are finished: adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, add another third of the sticks, continue to sauté until all the zucchini is tender and light brown. Then add in some minced garlic, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer to the serving platter. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Serves 4 to 5
MORE TASTY RECIPES!