Roasted Eggplant Parm- Lightened! Our Roasted Eggplant Parmigiana is a super-easy dish to prepare as a side or appetizer. It is a simple way to make our favorite eggplant parmesan without all the extra calories and fat.
This is a low-carb and gluten-free side dish your friends and family will go bonkers for!
And, it is truly an Eggplant Parmesan at its best!
We took our mom’s eggplant parmesan recipe and recreated it into this amazing light and delicious version.
This roasted eggplant parm-lightened will make an outstanding side dish!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED EGGPLANT PARM LIGHTENED?
Our eggplant parmesan is made with 2 eggplants, topped with tomato sauce (preferably our Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce), grated pecorino cheese, and fresh basil.
Ingredients Needed for Eggplant Parm Lightened:
For this recipe, you will need the following 5 ingredients:
- fresh basil
- grated pecorino cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- marinara sauce
- a couple of eggplants
Directions to Make Our Roasted Eggplant Parm Lightened:
The work is minimal and quick! (*Full recipe card on the bottom!)
1. Simply chop eggplants into cube-sized pieces. Toss them into a roasting pan and roast them in the oven with only some salt and extra-virgin olive oil until they are golden brown.
2. When the eggplants are golden brown and tender, remove them from the oven and transfer the eggplant to a serving platter.
3. Next, spread a single layer of already prepared marinara sauce on top. Sprinkle with a layer of grated cheese and freshly chopped basil on top.
4. Set the eggplant parmesan aside on your counter to sit for about 15 to 30 minutes before serving. The longer it sits, the more the eggplant will marinate and absorbs the sauce.
5. Then serve warm or at room temperature.
COOKS NOTES and TIPS…
- Our simple process already cuts the time in half when preparing this Eggplant Parmesan, making it an ideal side dish to serve all year long.
- Fresh Basil is a MUST! Don’t leave it out.
- If you don’t have any marinara sauce on hand, you can quickly whip some up with our recipe: Mom’s Quick Marinara Sauce while the eggplants are roasting in the oven.
- It not only feeds a crowd, but you can also make it one day ahead!
- Perfect for potluck dinners, barbecues, and summer gatherings.
Our Eggplant Parmesan recipe is ‘lightened’ because it doesn’t contain layers of fried eggplant, bread crumbs, flour, or a ton of melted cheese.
Traditionally, our mom makes this dish either by frying or sauteing slices of eggplant that have been dipped into flour or breadcrumbs.
She would make several layers in a casserole dish with sauce and cheese.
Her original recipe is positively delicious but much heavier and higher in calories and fat.
Instead, this dish is not weighed down with a lot of cheese, mozzarella, or tomato sauce.
In fact, there’s NO need for mozzarella cheese in this recipe, and you won’t miss it either.
The flavors always turn out amazingly delicious.
Roasted Eggplant Parm -Lightened will quickly become a favorite to serve as a side with:
- London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection
- Parmesan Crusted Turkey Cutlets
- Perfect Filet Mignon Roast
- Filet of Flounder Cutlets with a Twist
We know your guests will come back for seconds and even third helpings, without the guilt!
The eggplant flavors get infused with a light layer of fresh homemade marinara sauce.
And the longer it sits – the better it tastes because the eggplants slowly soak up the flavor of fresh tomato sauce along with pecorino cheese and fresh basil.
Variations for serving…
- Try serving roasted eggplant parm as an appetizer (served on a platter as shown in our photos).
- Serve it spooned over some toasted crusty Italian bread, like a bruschetta as an appetizer.
- Toss it with spaghetti for a delicious lunch or an easy dinner.
- Also, turn any leftovers into “eggplant sandwiches” the next day (it’s the best)!
This is a great recipe – you’ll have to try it!
…Thanks for Pinning!
Looking for More Easy Eggplant Recipes?
- Individual Roasted Eggplant Parmigiana Lightened
- Easy Stuffed Mini Eggplants
- Roasted Eggplant “Meatballs”
- Homemade Lasagna with Eggplant and Spinach
- Italian Savory Eggplant Tart
Additional delicious Gluten-Free recipes…
- 2 to 3 eggplants, rinsed (discard tops) and cut into cubes, 1 to 2-inches in size
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce, and extra if needed
- grated pecorino cheese
- fresh basil - sliced into ribbons
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to Roast at 375 degrees F (200C). (Or roast at 400 degrees, depending on your oven)
- In a large nonstick roasting pan, lightly spray with cooking spray. Scatter chunks of eggplant, and scatter lightly with salt over them. (Reserve the extra-virgin olive oil for later).
- Place the pan onto the middle rack of the oven and roast the eggplant for 10 to 15 minutes, or longer until some of the chunks of eggplant start to turn a golden color. Then open the oven and gently shake the pan a few times to rotate the bottom to the top, or use a spatula to flip them over so they roast evenly. Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- As the eggplant turns golden, carefully pull the rack out, and lightly drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the eggplant, about 2 tablespoons. Push the rack back into the oven, and Turn Off the oven. Allow the eggplants to sit in the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until most of the eggplant is lightly golden and tender to the bite. (Do not over-roast, or you will have hard-to-chew eggplants.)
- Remove from oven and transfer eggplant to a large serving platter.
- Spoon a single layer of marinara sauce on top. Then sprinkle with grated pecorino cheese and fresh chopped basil. Set aside for a few minutes before serving, and allow it to sit for a while. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serves 6 to 8
Yield:6 to 8 servings
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 4.6gCarbohydrates: 12.4gFiber: 5.7gSugar: 6.9gProtein: 1.9g
Hello friends! If you make this delicious recipe, let us know and leave a comment! We’d love to hear from you!
For more delicious ideas and recipes, follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter!
Don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and receive new recipes “FREE” every time we post!
Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
xo anna and liz
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!