These Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini Boats make a delicious gluten-free meal that is incredibly satisfying! Zucchini are hollowed out and stuffed with a delicious mixture of quinoa, topped with grated parmesan cheese, and baked until golden. Made with a few staple ingredients, flavorful low-cal veggies like zucchini served with high protein grain like quinoa are great alternatives to pasta and rice.
So light and full of flavor, you can eat a few of these boats as a meal and feel totally satisfied!
Serve alone with a green salad, or as an appetizer or side dish, these Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini Boats will compliment any dish!
Everyone will love these quinoa-stuffed zucchini boats!
These are tasty zucchini boats filled with a mixture of cooked quinoa flavored with sauteed zucchini, onions, wine, and tomato paste.
Then they are topped with grated Parmesan cheese and baked in the oven until the tops are golden and crispy. YUM!!
What is Quinoa?
As you know, quinoa is a healthy grain that cooks up very easily with water, chicken, or vegetable broth. You can make easily make quinoa on the stovetop, in the microwave, or in a rice cooker.
Some of our favorite quinoa recipes are Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad, Quinoa with Baby Peas, and our Quinoa Tuna Salad.
The grain is very light and tiny in size; when done, the grain appears soft and translucent, and the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge of the grain.
Stuffed vegetables have always been stapled dishes in our home and this one has a nice twist to it.
This recipe gives the zucchini its robust flavor from full-bodied ingredients, and my family really enjoys this tasty combination.
What you’ll need to make Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini:
3 or 4 medium-size zucchini (about 7-ounces each)
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion- chopped
1 garlic clove – sliced
1 Tbsp. salted butter
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup white wine
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 cup cooked white Quinoa ( I used Trader Joe’s)
salt and pepper to taste
Quinoa is very popular these days ever since Dr. Oz mentioned its health benefits on his show a few years back. Nowadays, it’s a staple in our pantry.
We have been incorporating this healthy grain into my recipes ever since! Try our quinoa stuffed zucchini boats, and let us know what you think?!
…Thanks for PINNING!!
Love zucchini? Then try some of these recipes:
Finally, additional quinoa recipes!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 3 or 4 medium-size zucchini (about 7 oz each)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion- chopped
- 1 garlic clove - sliced
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked white Quinoa ( I used Trader Joe's)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray the bottom of a large baking or roasting pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a knife or spoon, scoop or cut out the flesh, leaving 1/4'' thick.
- Arrange on the baking dish, laying them side by side. Chop the flesh into small pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter on low heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and chopped zucchini for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables softened and caramelized. Add the cooked quinoa, tomato paste, and wine. Simmer for a few minutes until the wine is reduced. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- With a spoon, fill each zucchini boat with some quinoa mixture and press firmly. Drizzle olive oil over them, if needed. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese over each one.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serves 6 to 8