Chicken Saltimbocca with Cauliflower Rice is delicious boneless chicken breast wrapped with prosciutto and pan-seared until the prosciutto is crispy and crunchy and served with cauliflower risotto as the “new rice.” Then everything is topped with a buttery, wine glaze to make this a meal that exceeded my expectations!
You may have already seen or heard about this new grated cauliflower in supermarkets. Grated cauliflower as the new rice – happens to be the new thing!
Whether you grate cauliflower yourself or buy it in a package, when it’s sauteed, it transforms into a very light, soft texture similar to steamed rice or even quinoa.
For this recipe, I decided to make Chicken Saltimbocca with a side of cauliflower risotto. To make the cauliflower rice as risotto, you simply saute garlic and onions, then add in the wine, cauliflower and blend with grated Parmesan cheese. This, of course, took about 10 minutes since cauliflower cooks up very quickly.
The “new risotto” turned out very light and tasty. Best of all, it’s healthier and gluten free! And, it compliments the chicken saltimbocca very nicely.
Chicken wrapped with prosciutto is easily pan-seared for a few minutes on each side until the chicken is fully cooked. The prosciutto adds a smokey and aromatic flavor to the chicken, making it so tasty! Then a quick butter-wine sauce is made in the same skillet for easy clean up.
This dish turned so good, it was better than I ever expected.
The biggest problem I am finding with getting my recipes on our blog, is getting the photos before everyone loses their patience while waiting to eat. Unfortunately, I took these photos before I blended the cauliflower risotto with the Parmesan cheese. But trust me – when I finally blended with the grated cheese, it was perfect!
And even better with the buttery-wine gravy poured on top. YUM!
Chicken Saltimbocca with Cauliflower Rice as Risotto
- 2 boneless chicken breasts – sliced each breast in half, and pounded
- 1/4 cup flour, to dredge
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices Italian prosciutto
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil – divided
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter – divided
- 1/2 cup white wine – divided
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves -diced
- 1 small onion – finely chopped
- 1 pound grated cauliflower or 1 large head, grated
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions for Chicken and Cauliflower Risotto:
1. To grate cauliflower. Place cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until it’s finely grated. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2. In the large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 1 tablespoon of butter. Add garlic and onion and saute until they soften and become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and allow the wine to reduce, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the grated cauliflower to the onion mixture and saute for about a 1 minute to flavor it. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth, fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the cauliflower until it’s tender to the bite, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off the heat. Stir in an additional tablespoon of butter and stir in grated Parmesan cheese. Keep on stove top to keep warm until you are ready to serve.
4. To prepare the chicken. In a small plate add some flour and dredge each piece of chicken on both sides. Place a large fresh basil leaf on top and wrap with one slice of prosciutto. Set aside.
Repeat with each chicken until all 4 pieces are completed.
5. In a skillet, and on medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the chicken breasts. Pan sear the chicken wrapped in prosciutto until the chicken is fully cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove and transfer to a platter.
6. In the same skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat, and add 1/4 cup of white wine and 2 Tbsp. chicken broth. Stirring until it reduces a little into a glaze. When butter-wine sauce slightly thickens turn off heat. Pour the gravy over the chicken saltimbocca and serve with the cauliflower rice beside it.