This quick and easy Italian Zucchini Stew will make a nutritious, delicious side dish that will complement any main dish. Zucchini is chopped and simmered with only 5 additional ingredients (not counting salt and pepper). A simple dish like zucchini stew will enhance any meal, and it’s ready in under 30 minutes.
What to serve with our Italian Zucchini Stew?
Our zucchini stew will pair well with any meat and poultry dishes, like our London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection, and our Parmesan Crusted Turkey Cutlets, just to name a few.
Zucchini is a terrific vegetable. Not only do we cook, saute, fry, and even roast it, but we love to make some of our treats as well, like our lemon zucchini muffins and our triple chocolate zucchini bread.
But unfortunately, zucchini in the United States is a very undervalued vegetable. But thanks to the countries around the Mediterranean sea, zucchini is very valued and diversified by their local cuisines.
This recipe for zucchini stew happens to be a very popular dish throughout Southern Italy.
And, it is quick, simple to make, and loaded with flavors. It’s no wonder this was our mom’s favorite vegetable dish.
For this easy Italian zucchini stew, you will need…
A couple of zucchini
one large onion
fresh ripe tomato
a bunch of fresh basil
extra virgin olive oil
seasonings: salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper
Should We Peel or Scrape the Zucchini?
No need to. However, I prefer to lightly scrape the skins off using a knife, especially if they are not organic. But it’s totally your preference.
How To Make Easy Zucchini Stew:
This recipe is a simple two-step process…
1. First, grab a large skillet, heat olive oil on moderate heat, and toss in the chopped onion and garlic. Saute them for a few minutes.
2. Next, toss in the chopped zucchini, tomato, and fresh basil. Saute for a few minutes on high heat, stirring occasionally.
Then let the magic begins! Cover with a lid and continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender to the bite.
This simple method will bring out big and bold flavors, turning zucchini into an amazing flavorful side dish!
Every mouthful is an eruption of flavor! Trust me on this one.
GREAT TIPS For SUCCESS!
The secret to sauteing this Italian zucchini side dish is the level of heat you cook it with. See my notes on the recipe card.
If you prefer your zucchini tender to the crunch, then it’s best to saute on “high” heat. This method will cook the vegetables quickly, but you will need to stir them often, so they won’t burn on the bottom.
When you saute zucchini, it will release water while cooking, making the skillet watery. However, when it’s sauteed on high heat and uncovered, this will help eliminate some of the excess water. This way you are not actually boiling them, causing them to be soft or mushy.
Once the zucchini stew is simmered to your preference, to a tender crunch, turn off the heat and serve.
What to serve with our Zucchini Stew…
More Delicious Recipes for Zucchini…
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 23 minutes
Total Time 33 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion - diced
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 4 small or medium-size zucchini - cubed
- 1 ripe tomato - chopped
- 8 leaves of fresh basil - chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- optional: 2 dashes of cayenne pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute both until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Toss in the zucchini and chopped tomato. Turn the heat under the skillet to "high." Season with salt, and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Toss in fresh chopped basil. Stir to combine the mixture. Quick Note: this will be quick to flavor and infuse all the vegetables together and on high heat before they are covered and simmered on low heat.
- Then cover with a lid. Lower the heat to a "low" setting and simmer the stew for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Since zucchini is a water-based vegetable, the zucchini will naturally release its juices creating a broth, enough to keep the vegetables from burning.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings, as needed. When zucchini is softened, or tender to the bite, they are ready. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve. Serve warm.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 8.7gSaturated Fat: 1.3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3.3gProtein: 2g
|Serving size: 1 serving|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8.7g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.3g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 3.3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a|
Tried our Easy Italian Zucchini Stew? If you do, please let us know and leave a comment with a star rating. We’d greatly appreciate it.
Have fun and snap a photo and share it on Pinterest, and be sure to tag or hashtag us. We’d love to share them with the world.
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Join our cooking and baking community and get our free E-book! …when you sign up for our newsletter and get our recipes FREE, every time we post, along with reminders of some great older ones too! This recipe is original and adapted from our beautiful mom.
And stay in touch on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, for all the latest updates.
Stay Healthy … and Happy Cooking! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz