Linguine Pasta with Zucchini & Onions
Linguine Pasta with Zucchini & Onions. Freshly chopped zucchini, onions, and capers are sautéed and caramelized until they are soft and tender. Then it is gently tossed with linguine pasta and served with extra zucchini on top, creating a light summer dish to serve anytime. A great way to use some of that zucchini this season.
We love this dish! Because it’s so simple, easy to make and so delicious, it will get your entire family to eat more zucchini.
If you have been following us, you’d know we made a few dishes using zucchini like our Zucchini Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese, and Zucchini Tomato Sauce over Fusilli Pasta.
We grew up eating pasta almost every day. We thought our Mom enjoyed creating various pasta dishes just to get us kids to eat our veggies!
But, we found out these dishes or recipes actually do in fact exist.
Linguine pasta with zucchini takes about 20 minutes to make. Perfect to serve as the first course.
We recommend adding some grated Pecorino-Romano cheese on top when serving.
Pecorino adds more flavor to this pasta dish since the zucchini are on the sweeter side in flavor, making it tastier for everyone to enjoy.
Ingredients Needed for Linguini Pasta with Zucchini & Onions:
1 pound (16-ounces) of Linguini Pasta
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves -thinly sliced
2 yellow onions – diced
4 (7 inches) fresh zucchini – chopped (about 1/2-inch thick)
1 Tbsp. capers
1 Tbsp. salt
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
How To Make Linguine Pasta with Zucchini & Onions:
1. Prepare a large pot filled with water, and place it on the stovetop on high heat.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, on low- medium heat, add the olive oil, diced onions, and garlic.
3. Sauté for a few minutes until the onions have softened, about 3 minutes. Add salt, capers, crushed red pepper, and chopped zucchini.
4. Simmer on low heat, and stir occasionally until zucchini is softened for about 5 minutes.
5. When the water comes to a full boil, add some salt and toss in the linguine. Reserve 1/4 cup of boiling water.
6. Drain the pasta in a colander. Then follow the rest of the directions in our recipe card below.
More Tasty Pasta Recipes!
- Pasta Cooked with Broccoli in 15 Minutes!
- Pasta with Baby Peas
- Angel Hair Pasta with Lemon Sauce
- Pasta with Creamy Cauliflower
- Bow Tie Pasta with Peppers
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Linguine Pasta with Zucchini & Onions
Linguine Pasta with Zucchini & Onions is an easy, delicious dish for the whole family. Perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 pound (16-ounces) Linguini Pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves -thinly sliced
- 2 yellow onions - diced
- 4 (7-inches) fresh zucchini - chopped (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for serving
- On high heat, bring a large pot filled with water to boil. Add some salt to the water, about 1 teaspoon.
- In a large non-stick skillet, on low-medium heat, add olive oil, diced onions, and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until the onions have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add salt, capers, crushed red pepper, and chopped zucchini.
- Simmer on low heat, and stir occasionally until zucchini is softened for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the linguine to the boiling water and follow the directions on the package, or until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of boiling water.
- Drain the pasta in a colander.
- Place the pasta back into the pot. Add the reserved 1/4 cup of water, and grab about two-thirds of the zucchini mixture. Turn on the heat again. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes on low heat, until it's well combined. Turn off the heat.
- Serve linguine pasta into individual dishes. Sprinkle some grated Pecorino cheese on top. Serve immediately.
- Serves 4 to 6
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 10.4gCarbohydrates: 47.9gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
… Thanks for PINNING!
|Serving size: 1 serving|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10.4g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47.9g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition|
Perfect recipe for this time of year with my zucchini plants just starting to produce! Love the caper addition too!
i love the capers with the red pepper flakes and the cheese. It looks delicious. I rather a sauce/flavor like this with my pasta than a heavy tomato based.
Do you rinse your capers before adding? Just curious 🙂 I have zucchini and need more recipes like this! Thanks!
I like to rinse my capers while my husband doesn't – go figure! But for me, capers tend to be too salty and that's the reason I like to rinse them before I add them.
zucchini goes so well with just about anything and this pasta is no exception. I love the idea and perfect with the salty calpers!
This is a really lovely pasta dish for summer — I love the addition of the capers – nice touch!