If you love simple dishes with veggies, then you will love this Pasta with Fresh Vegetables, also known as pasta primavera! Prepare these fresh vegetables like never before! This dish is an absolute must-try for anyone who loves zucchini, eggplant, red onions, and fresh tomatoes. Get ready to indulge in a burst of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
Easy Pasta Recipes…
This pasta dish is delicious, affordable and so easy to make! It is tossed with an assortment of sautéed vegetables and served with freshly grated ricotta salata, making it a perfect dish to serve to family and friends. For more easy pasta recipes, try this Spring Risotto with Vegetables, One-pot Pasta Recipe, and Zucchini Tomato Sauce Over Fusilli. And for more vegetable ideas, don’t miss our Spaghetti with Zucchini alla Nerano, and Homemade Lasagna with Vegetables.
How to describe this Italian pasta with veggies…
- it’s healthy…
- fresh tasting…
- has a very light textured sauce created with veggies…
- loaded with flavor…
- and perfect to serve leftovers the next day!
Ingredients Needed for Pasta with Fresh Vegetables…
EGGPLANTS: 1 large eggplant, diced, was enough to make the sauce. You can use 2 mediums or 3 small ones with this recipe.
ZUCCHINI: You will need 2 large zucchini, diced into 1/2-inch pieces or smaller.
TOMATO: Choose 1 large tomato, or 2 or 3 smaller ones for this recipe.
RED ONIONS: For this recipe, you will need 2 red onions, which are sweeter and give additional flavor to this simple sauce.
OLIVE OIL: Choose a good quality of extra virgin olive oil for the best flavor with this recipe.
SEASONINGS: You will need some salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to give these veggies a pop of flavor.
HERBS: You can use either fresh basil or fresh Italian parsley with this recipe. Either one will give a pop of freshness to this dish.
PASTA: I used Gemelli pasta from Garofalo. It is a small twisted pasta noodle, perfect for this dish. You can use spaghetti, linguine, fusilli, or any small pasta with this recipe.
BROTH: Add about 2 ladles of “salty pasta water” (or some vegetable broth) to give the veggies enough liquid to toss with the pasta. (see my notes below).
RICOTTA SALATA CHEESE: We prefer to use ricotta salata with this pasta primavera. It is a solid block of salted ricotta cheese. Made exclusively for grating. And, it can be found in the cheese section at Whole Foods, and other gourmet markets. It adds a unique flavor to this pasta dish and other dishes, like our Wild Mushrooms with Cognac & Truffle recipe, making it exquisite.
How To Make This Delicious Pasta Primavera…
(*Full printable recipe card below!)
1. Prep and Chop: Prep and dice all the veggies and set them nearby.
2. Sauté the Onions: In a large skillet, heat olive oil and toss in the onions. Sauté them until soften, about 2 minutes.
3. Cook the Vegetables: Next, toss in the diced eggplant and zucchini. Stir to combine, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Toss in the diced tomatoes. Stir in the seasonings and toss in fresh basil. Simmer for a few minutes.
4. Boil the Pasta: Boil the pasta in a large pot with boiling water, toss in the pasta, and cook until al-dente. Reserve some of the salty water to add to the skillet with veggies.
5. Combine It All: Drain and toss everything together. Then serve with grated ricotta salata on top (totally optional).
Frequent Questions & Answers…
- Can we use other veggies in this recipe? Yes, you certainly can. There are no limits to fresh vegetables you can use with this recipe. You can easily customize this recipe by using your favorite veggies.
- Can we add some crushed tomatoes to the sauce? You can add in some tomato paste or some crushed tomatoes, and about 1 cup, and simmer for an additional 15 to 20 minutes longer with the veggies.
- How do you store leftovers? Store the leftovers in a sealed container, and keep it chilled in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Can we make it with a different pasta? Of course. Choose your favorite pasta, even gluten-free, and enjoy this meal.
- What if we don’t have ricotta salata? You can use grated pecorino cheese in its place, or a dairy-free cheese you prefer.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra before serving
- 2 red onions - skins peeled and diced
- 2 large zucchini - rinsed, ends cut off, and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 or 2 eggplants - rinsed, ends cut off, and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large ripe tomato - diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil - chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 pound (16 ounces/500g) of Gemelli Pasta
- ricotta salata cheese - grated and served at the table
- fresh parsley, as garnish
- In a deep, and large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil on moderate heat. Toss in the diced onions. Saute the onions until they soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the diced zucchini and eggplant and turn up the heat. Scatter with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomato and fresh basil and cover with a lid. Lower the heat and simmer the veggies for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the cover and taste the veggies. Then adjust the salt if needed. If the veggies are fully cooked, turn off the heat and keep them covered while you cook the pasta.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the boiling water. Toss in the Gemelli pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.
- Grab about 2 ladles of the "salty pasta water" and add it to the skillet with the cooked veggies. NOTE: You can use vegetable broth instead of water, about 2/3 cup).
- When the pasta is ready, drain it and bring it back to the pot. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into the pasta, and stir to combine. Also, stir some of the veggies into the pasta. Add some fresh cracked black pepper. Serve in individual pasta dishes with a scoop of veggies on top. Garnish with some chopped parsley.
- Serve with grated ricotta salata at the table.
Store the leftovers in a sealed container, and keep it chilled in the fridge for up to 4 days.
There are no limits to fresh vegetables you can use with this recipe. You can easily customize this recipe by using your favorite veggies.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 3.8gCarbohydrates: 24.2gFiber: 5.6gSugar: 3.5gProtein: 4.5g
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried our healthy pasta with fresh vegetables recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s so helpful for other readers to read your results, adaptations, and ideas for variations. Share them on Instagram, so we can show the world.
Subscribe Below! And get our recipes FREE!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
Welcome! From Anna and Liz
We believe the kitchen is the center and the heart of the home. It is where we cook, eat, and unwind with family and friends, creating memorable traditions! Read more…
Sign Up For Our Email List
Something delicious for your inbox! Subscribe and join our email list and get all our recipes FREE!