Looking for the new flavor in gelato? Blackberry Chocolate Chip Gelato is a creamy, smooth gelato, made with milk, heavy cream, sugar, crunchy dark chocolate pieces and fresh blackberry puree to create a very sweet blackberry-delicious tasting gelato! Perfect for summer entertaining, and especially tasty when blackberries are in full season.
July is National Ice Cream Month, but if you live here in the Low Country like I do, the August heat keeps ice cream at the top of our menu. We love to entertain friends and family all summer long and this Blackberry Chocolate Chip Gelato will surely wow your family and friends.
When blackberries are in season, they’re sweet, juicy and less tart than any other time during the year. And they’re super cheap to purchase during the months of July and August which makes buying them a sweet deal!
What is the difference between gelato and ice cream?
Even though gelato means “ice cream” in Italian, it is lighter in fat and more concentrated in flavor than ice cream simply because gelato contains more whole milk than cream and sometimes their even made without egg yolks.
Ice cream which contains greater portion of heavy cream than milk, along with a couple of egg yolks or more, contains more fat and is higher in cholesterol than gelato. And since there is less fat in gelato to coat your palate, the more concentrated the flavor you will taste with gelato.
Also, gelato is slow-churned, making it denser texture and creamier. The temperature of gelato is also different, kept slightly warmer (around 10 degrees warmer) in their freezer storage units to give its silky smooth texture.
Both techniques allows the flavors to come through more concentrated and taste even better.
Now back to this lusciously smooth Blackberry Chocolate Chip Gelato. This recipe makes 12 cups of creamy gelato! It is made with an easy homemade blackberry puree which takes only 10 minutes to make.
A Few Steps to Make BLACKBERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP GELATO:
You will need 2 small (6-ounce) containers of fresh blackberries (about 4 cups), some sugar and fresh lemon juice.
Then pour those ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Next, strain the mixture through a fine wire mesh strainer to remove all the seeds.
Once the Blackberry Puree is ready to use in the mixture for the gelato, the rest is easy!
When blackberry chocolate chip gelato is frozen and ready, just scoop some into pretty ice cream glasses, garnish each with a blackberry on top or on the side, along with a mint leaf and serve!
HERE’s a TIP:
If the gelato is too frozen to scoop, allow it to sit out on the counter for a few minutes to soften before serving.
Italy is known for their gelato. Yes we know. And, thank goodness we don’t have to travel to Italy to enjoy a scoop!
But, we can easily enjoy gelato and make it at home, with an Ice Cream / Gelato Machine.
So give it a try!
Do you have a favorite flavor? Let us know and leave a comment below! We love testing and trying new flavors all the time!
Don’t forget to PIN it!! … and SHARE! thanks again!
If you make this blackberry chocolate chip gelato, let us know and leave a comment and a star rating below. We’d love to hear from you.
Do you love the flavor of blackberry? Then try our Blackberry Lemon Crumble Bars, these too are amazingly delicious!
And, it you enjoy trying other gelato and ice cream flavors, try our Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, it contains only 5 ingredients, and NO Eggs!
Also, try our Italian favorite dessert, our Tiramisu Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips, it’s creamy delicious!
For GELATO MIXTURE:
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1+ 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Blackberry Puree - divided (recipe follows)
- Fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks (smashed into smaller pieces)
- Fresh mint
- optional: whipped cream
For BLACKBERRY PUREE:
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
For Blackberry Puree:
- Process 4 cups of fresh blackberries, sugar and lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer to remove seeds, pressing and swirling gently with a rubber spatula; discard any solids.
- Yields: 1+1/2 cups
For the Gelato Mixture:
- Place whole milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract and 1 +1/4 cups Blackberry Puree in a large saucepan (reserve 1/4 cup for serving). Bring mixture to a low simmer over medium heat, only to dissolve the sugar and to combine it well. Stirring it often until sugar dissolves. Do not bring to a boil, just warm it up enough until you see foam form at the edges. Remove from heat. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Place in an airtight container, chill for a few hours, or over night, or 2 days is best.
- Pour gelato mixture into a freezer can of a 4-quart ice cream machine, or pour 1/2 the mixture into a 1.5-quart machine ( and make 2 batches). Follow directions according to the machine, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Take 1/4 cup of chocolate chunks and place them into a small ziplock bag. Seal the bag. Gently smash the chunks into smaller pieces. Then, during the last 4 minutes of churning, add the chocolate pieces into the mixture.
- Transfer gelato to an airtight freezer safe container, until freezes, about 2 hours.
- Serve with fresh blackberries on top, some fresh mint as garnish, and maybe even a dab of Blackberry Puree (as a sauce) and some whipped cream!
- yields: 12 cups
*The blackberry puree can be made several days in advance and refrigerated until ready to make the gelato. Just be sure to strain all the seeds.
*Reserve aside about 1/4 cup puree, serve as a sauce to spoon some on gelato for extra flavor!
*Also, you can use semi-sweet mini chocolate chips instead of the chunks.
*Keep in mind, most ice cream machines calls for 1.5 quarts or 2 quarts; therefore, you will need to divide the mixture in half and make it twice with the machine.
*And last TIP: To help speed up some time, place your warm gelato mixture into your freezer to cool down quickly, about 1 hour; and make sure it's really cold before pouring into your ice cream machine.
Oh and don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and receive new recipes FREE every time we post!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
xo Anna and Liz