Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is made with only 5 ingredients; bananas, half and half, sugar, lemon juice, and semi-sweet chocolate chips, which, when blended together will result in a luscious, creamy, velvety ice cream with the intense flavor of bananas. Using only a good whisk and 5 minutes of prep time before the mixture is poured into the ice cream maker makes this an easy summer treat!
This is an ALL NATURAL ice cream with no eggs and no artificial additives.
Since ripe bananas are very sweet and substituting the half and half for heavy cream and milk results in the banana chip ice cream containing less sugar and half the fat.
Plus, the recipe is super easy and it tastes better than Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey Ice Cream!
Most ice cream that contains bits of chocolate is so overloaded with them that the chocolate dominates the flavor, and you lose the flavor of bananas entirely.
I adjusted the proportions in the recipe to experience the taste of the banana flavor first, with a touch of chocolate.
And the result? Much better and totally successful in achieving the proper balance of flavor in my recipe.
When the ice cream is ready to chill, you may leave it in the canister and place it into your freezer, or you can transfer to another container. Cover tightly with foil wrap and chill it for at least one hour before serving.
It’s so creamy and delicious one can’t help eat a scoop or two before it goes into the freezer – I’m guilty of that!
In order to speed up the process, it is best to chill your bananas beforehand.
Since I am accustomed to tossing my bananas to the refrigerator or freezer as soon as they ripen to save for making smoothies, banana bread recipes, and now even ice cream, you won’t ever have to throw them away before you get around to eating them.
Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream turned out fantastic!
We just love bananas with chocolate, don’t you? This recipe is so much fun and easy to make, we hope you’ll give it a try!
A Few Tips to Get You Started:
Make sure you place “the base” (aka the canister) of the ice cream maker is placed into the freezer the night before you start.
Before making this ice cream, it’s best to chill your bananas in the fridge 2 hours prior or the night before. This step will help speed up the process and allow you to quickly pour the mixture immediately into your ice cream maker.
Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream – Only 5 Ingredients
2 large ripe bananas, chilled in the fridge
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups Half and Half
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In a medium mixing bowl, mash the chilled bananas with a fork. Whisk in the sugar. Add the half and half and lemon juice, and whisk until well combined, about 2 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture immediately into your frozen ice cream canister/ machine and follow the directions according to your ice cream maker, about 25 minutes.
3. Toss in the chips into the canister while it’s churning, a few minutes before it’s completely done.
Yields: 1.5 quart
FYI: here is the link to our Cuisinart Ice Cream maker.
… Don’t forget to PIN and Share!!
More Delicious Ice Cream or Gelato Recipes…
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 large ripe bananas, chilled in the fridge
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the chilled bananas with a fork.
- Whisk in the sugar.
- Add the half and half and lemon juice, and whisk until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture immediately into your frozen ice cream canister/ machine and follow the directions according to your ice cream maker.
- Pour the chips into the canister while it's churning, a few minutes before it's completely done.
- Yields: 1.5 quart