What better way to enjoy an ice cream with three of your favorite flavors with our Easy Spumoni Ice Cream! Spumoni Ice Cream is an Italian ice cream made with three different flavored gelatos, coated with toasted coconut on the bottom and on top. An easy recipe for spumoni ice cream and one you can make and serve all summer long!
Everyone loves a frozen treat now and then and this spumoni makes a great summer dessert, requiring little effort, and you can make it ahead and in minutes.
Best of all, you won’t need to make homemade ice cream either.
Just a simple process of pressing your favorite ice cream flavors into a baking pan, or glass dish, and freeze. Then go ahead and slice it and serve it with whipped cream on top or on the side.
Growing up we always had spumoni as dessert, and it was served in our uncle’s restaurant/catering hall for many years. It was so different and yet so delicious!
The chewy layer of toasted coconut on that bottom with 3 flavors is what made this spumoni so popular! Back then, it was made with pistachio, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream over a layer of toasted coconut and with a sprinkle on top.
But due to a nut allergy in my family, my spumoni is made with our 3 favorite flavors: black cherry, vanilla, and mint chocolate chip. And it’s set on a layer of chewy toasted coconut and topped with some too.
What a scrumptious flavor combination!
In addition to its lovely flavors, its pretty pastel color gives a beautiful presentation.
Now this Easy Spumoni Ice Cream is worth making! So what are you waiting for?!
Notes and TIPS for Success!
This recipe is adaptable! You can make Spumoni using your favorite ice cream brands and flavors. Dress it up and mix in your favorite dried fruits or nuts if you like. Or keep it simple.
Keep in mind, my spumoni is nut-free for my family and friends who have nut allergies.
I bought my favorite ice cream flavors in the half-gallon size. I wasn’t sure how much I would need to make the layers in my 9-inch baking dish. So I estimated the best I could, and it’s about 2 cups or more of ice cream with each layer (about one pint for each).
When ready to serve your spumoni, set the ice cream out on the counter to soften, about 20 to 30 minutes. Then flip it over onto a rectangular-shaped serving platter. Gently shake it to allow the ice cream to slide down out of the mold.
If you can avoid it, do not use a serrated knife as seen in these photos. It’s best to choose a strong knife with a large blade to cut smooth slices.
For a quick tip on slicing frozen ice cream cakes, you can add hot water to a tall plastic coffee container and dip the knife into the hot water before you slice the ice cream. Then dip the knife into hot water each time you slice.
A Fun Fact!
According to Wikipedia, spumoni originated in Naples and is the ancestor of Neapolitan ice cream, with gelato made in a mold and with 3 layers of different flavors and colors, including chopped fruits and nuts. How cool is that?
Now I have to find one for my “Sicilian” husband… Lol 😉
Enjoy and have a great day!!
… Thanks for Pinning!
Finally, a few more Frozen Treats for you to enjoy!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes
Total Time 12 minutes
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut - divided
- 1 pint (2 cups) of vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pint (2 cups) of dark cherry ice cream, softened
- 1 pint (2 cups) mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- cooking spray
- First, in a small skillet, over low heat, toss in the shredded coconut and stir until it turns golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and transfer to a dish to cool.
- Lightly spray an 8-inch (or 9-inch) baking pan or glass dish with cooking spray.
- Next, cut two pieces of parchment paper to fit into your baking dish and allow them to overlap over the sides.
To Make the SPUMONI:
- First, divide the toasted coconut into two equal parts. Sprinkle half of the toasted coconut on the bottom of the pan. Reserve the remaining for the top layer.
- Next, spread a layer of mint chocolate chip ice cream on the bottom, and spread it into an even layer, the best you can. If the ice cream is too softened, pop the dish into your freezer and allow the first layer to firm up about 15 to 25 minutes.
- Then repeat with the other two layers of ice cream, freezing between each layer, if needed.
- Finally, before the final freeze, sprinkle on top with the remaining toasted coconut, and cover with a sheet of wax paper on top.
- Freeze for 4 hours or more, until firm.
- When ready to serve, set the spumoni out on the counter to soften, about 20 to 30 minutes. Grab a rectangular serving platter. Remove the wax paper on top, and flip over the ice cream onto the platter. Remove the parchment paper and slice into individual slices.
- Serve immediately alone or with whipped cream on the side or on top.
- yields: 8 to 10 servings.
Hello friends! If you try our easy spumoni ice cream recipe, let us know and leave a comment! We’d love to hear from you and tell us about your experiences. It not only helps our readers who read them, but it helps us too.
For more delicious ideas and recipes, follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter.
Don’t forget to subscribe and enter your email address in our ‘Newsletter Box’ and get our recipes “FREE” every time we post a new recipe and reminders of great older ones too!
Happy Making Desserts! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
xo Anna and Liz