What better way to enjoy a dessert with three of your favorite ice cream flavors? Try our Easy Spumoni Ice Cream! An Italian ice cream cake, spumoni is made with three different colors and flavors of gelatos, coated with toasted coconut on the bottom and on top. A simple recipe for spumoni ice cream and one you can make all summer long!
Everyone loves a frozen treat now and then and this spumoni makes a great summer dessert. It requires very little effort, and you can make it ahead… and in minutes!
Best part? You won’t need to make homemade ice cream either.
This is a simple process of layering three of your favorite ice cream flavors into a baking pan, or glass dish, along with some toasted shredded coconut on the bottom and on top, then freeze.
It’s that easy!
Growing up we always had spumoni as dessert, and it was served in our uncle’s restaurant/catering hall for many years. It was so different and yet so delicious!
Traditionally, spumoni ( aka Spumone) is made with 3 different flavors of ice cream (or gelato): pistachio, chocolate, and strawberry.
But because we have a family member with a nut allergy, this spumoni is layered with our 3 favorite flavors: black cherry, vanilla, and mint chocolate chip. And it’s set on a layer of toasted coconut and topped with some too.
In addition to its delicious flavors, the pastel colors give this dessert a lovely presentation.
What you’ll need to make Easy Spumoni Ice Cream:
These are our three favorite flavors, but you can make Spumoni using the traditional flavors, or flavors of your choice.
one package of shredded unsweetened coconut
1 pint (2 cups) vanilla ice cream
1 pint (2 cups) dark cherry ice cream
1 pint (2 cups) mint chocolate chip ice cream
A Few Notes and TIPS for Success!
This recipe for spumoni is very adaptable! You can make spumoni using your favorite ice cream brands and flavors. Dress it up and mix in your favorite dried fruits or nuts if you like. Or keep it simple.
Keep in mind, this spumoni is nut-free for my family and friends who have nut allergies.
I purchased my favorite ice cream flavors in the half-gallon size. I wasn’t sure how much I would need to make the layers in my 9-inch baking dish. So I estimated the best I could, and it’s about 2 cups or more of ice cream with each layer (about one pint for each).
Also, I toasted some shredded coconut in a skillet, and on the stove-top. It worked like magic.
How to serve this Easy Spumoni Ice Cream…
When ready to serve your spumoni, set the ice cream out on the counter to soften, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Then flip it over onto a rectangular-shaped serving platter. Gently shake it to allow the ice cream to slide down out of the mold.
If you can avoid it, do not use a serrated knife as seen in these photos. It’s best to choose a strong knife with a large blade to cut smooth slices.
For a quick tip on slicing frozen ice cream cakes, you can add hot water to a tall plastic coffee container and dip the knife into the hot water before you slice the ice cream. Then dip the knife into hot water each time you slice.
Here is a Fun Fact about Spumoni!
According to Wikipedia, spumoni originated in Naples and is the ancestor of Neapolitan ice cream, with gelato made in a mold and with 3 layers of different flavors and colors, including chopped fruits and nuts.
How cool is that? (in case you are a newbie, my family is from Naples, Italy) … Now, I need to find a dessert for my husband, who is Sicilian… Lol 😉
Easy. Simple. Delicious. This Easy Spumoni Ice Cream is worth making!
So what are you waiting for?! You’ll have to try this recipe and let us know what you think.
… Thanks for Pinning!
Finally, a few more Frozen Treats for you to enjoy!
- Tiramisu Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips
- Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream- only 5 Ingredients!
- Blackberry Chocolate Chip Gelato
- Easy Ice Cream Cake (No-Bake!)
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes
Total Time 12 minutes
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut - divided
- 1 pint (2 cups) of vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pint (2 cups) of dark cherry ice cream, softened
- 1 pint (2 cups) mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- cooking spray
- First, in a small skillet, over low heat, toss in the shredded coconut and stir until it turns golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and transfer to a dish to cool.
- Lightly spray an 8-inch (or 9-inch) baking pan or glass dish with cooking spray.
- Next, cut two pieces of parchment paper to fit into your baking dish and allow them to overlap over the sides.
To Make the SPUMONI:
- First, divide the toasted coconut into two equal parts. Sprinkle half of the toasted coconut on the bottom of the pan. Reserve the remaining for the top layer.
- Next, spread a layer of mint chocolate chip ice cream on the bottom, and spread it into an even layer, the best you can. If the ice cream is too softened, pop the dish into your freezer and allow the first layer to firm up for about 15 to 25 minutes.
- Then repeat with the other two layers of ice cream, freezing between each layer, if needed.
- Finally, before the final freeze, sprinkle on top with the remaining toasted coconut, and cover with a sheet of wax paper on top.
- Freeze for 4 hours or more, until firm.
- When ready to serve, set the spumoni out on the counter to soften, about 20 to 30 minutes. Grab a rectangular serving platter. Remove the wax paper on top, and flip over the ice cream onto the platter. Remove the parchment paper and slice it into individual slices.
- Serve immediately alone or with whipped cream on the side or top.
- yields: 8 to 10 servings.