These simple and delicious Peas and Mushrooms Recipe is an exquisite Italian-style side dish! Sautéed peas and mushrooms, a quick 15-minute recipe is easily cooked in a skillet and takes these vegetables to the next level in just a few easy steps.
Frozen peas are the most underrated (and forgotten) vegetable and yet they are the most effortless ones to cook with.
For this recipe, all the ingredients are simple, but when you put them together – they’re magical!
As a side dish, it’s nothing fancy, but it is big on flavor!
Plus, it is a delicious vegetable side that will complement any entree you serve.
Besides, it’s an ideal side to make ahead and reheat before serving.
Best of all, it’s ready in minutes! 😉
How To Make Peas and Mushrooms?
First, let’s discuss the ingredients.
Ingredients For Peas and Mushrooms Recipe…
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Choose the best quality imported olive oil for the best flavor.
Garlic Cloves: Fresh garlic is essential and will give the “umami” flavor to this dish.
Onion: One onion will offer a sweet flavor to the veggies.
Mushrooms: Choose a package of Button or Bella mushrooms for this recipe. Whole or presliced, then rinse to remove the dirt and drain.
Frozen Petite Peas: These peas need no rinsing and no downtime. Just toss them into the skillet after the mushrooms have cooked for a few minutes.
Seasonings: We now use Himalayan (pink) salt mostly with our recipes, and crushed red pepper flakes to make the flavors pop!
Fresh Parsley: Of course, we prefer fresh Italian parsley with this recipe. It offers a fresh and aromatic flavor to the mushrooms and peas.
Easy Directions for Cooking…
There are 4 easy steps to making this vegetable dish. (*Full recipe card on the bottom of this page)
- Rinse and drain mushrooms, then slice them.
- Sauté onions and garlic in a large skillet with olive oil and butter until softened.
- Add mushrooms and parsley and cook until softened.
- Toss in frozen baby peas, and seasonings. Cover and simmer for a few minutes until peas are softened and tender.
Notes and Tips…
- Options: You can use a dash of cayenne pepper in place of crushed red pepper flakes. Cayenne pepper also will wake up the flavors.
- Can we OMIT Butter? If you prefer, you can omit the butter, and this delicious side dish is vegan!
- STORING: Always store leftovers in a sealed container and keep them refrigerated. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- FREEZING: Yes, you can freeze leftovers, so they won’t go to waste. They will freeze well for up to one month. Thaw, then reheat in either microwave to on the stovetop in a skillet.
Options for extra richness added…
- Just before serving, stir in an additional 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Or, if you prefer, drizzle some additional extra virgin olive oil before serving, about 1 tablespoon.
- For a “creamy” side dish, you can pour in 1/4 cup (or more) of heavy cream and stir over low heat until the cream thickens.
What to serve with Peas and Mushrooms?
This flavorful side will practically go with any meats, poultry, and fish.
- The Perfect Filet Mignon Roast
- Veal Cutlet Milanese
- London Broil Steak Grilled To Perfection
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cutlets
- Fried Pork Chops Milanese
- Roasted Boneless Turkey Breast
- Fillet of Flounder Cutlets
Ideas for leftovers…
So many options to use the leftovers and turn them into a quick and easy meal.
- Toss the leftovers with your favorite cooked pasta, quinoa, or rice and you’ll have another easy meal to serve later in the week.
- Toss them into a soup, like an Italian minestrone soup, at the very end of its cooking for additional veggies and flavor.
- Make a quiche or a frittata with the leftovers for another delicious meal.
Additional delicious recipes for sides…
- Artichoke Hearts Sauteed with Baby Peas
- Sweet Peas with Onions
- Sauteed Spinach with Tomatoes
- Fast & Easy Broccoli Fritters
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 garlic cloves - diced
- 1 yellow onion - chopped
- 8-ounces (227g) white button mushrooms - rinsed, drained - sliced
- 16-ounces (454g) frozen petite peas
- 1/4 tsp. Himayalan salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
1. In a large skillet, add olive oil and butter and toss in the garlic, saute garlic for 1 minute. Add the onions, and saute until the onions are softened, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Toss in the mushrooms, and stir them to combine. Sauté for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the petite peas, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and fresh parsley, and Cover with a lid. Simmer the mixture for about 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, and until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Taste, and adjust for salt.
4. Peas and mushrooms should be tender to the bite. Turn off the heat. Keep them covered and on the stovetop to keep them warm until you are ready to serve.
5. Before serving, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the entire skillet about 1 to 2 tablespoons. Then transfer to a serving platter or bowl and serve warm.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 11gCarbohydrates: 13.8gFiber: 4.2gSugar: 4.8gProtein: 5g
Thanks for Pinning!
Any questions? …ask away! If you try our peas and mushrooms recipe, let us know and leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you.
Don’t forget to enter your email address in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and get our recipes “FREE” every time we post!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂
xo anna and liz