Sauteed Sweet Peas with Onions and Capers are simmered with extra-virgin olive oil until they are caramelized and tender to perfection! With 4 ingredients, this simple Italian recipe for frozen peas will transform them into a fabulous tasting side dish!
Let’s be honest, frozen peas are what I call “the forgotten vegetable.” No one cares to make them anymore, and as a vegetable alone, baby peas can be pretty boring and bland.
… but not anymore!!
With this tasty recipe, sweet garden peas with onions and capers can once again become a popular side dish!
My husband loves to cook on the weekends, and this is one of the sides of his favorite dishes and it’s one that will compliment many meat and poultry dishes.
They are even wonderful to add to other dishes too, like risotto’s, plates of pasta and stews!
The secret to flavoring these peas are the 4 main ingredients, frozen garden (or baby peas), extra virgin olive oil, onion, and capers. Then salt, a little fresh parsley, and water are added too.The outcome is always consistent! They are always AMAZINGLY TASTY!!
TIPS and Notes for Sauteed Sweet Peas with Onions:
Always use good quality extra virgin olive oil. Look for olive oil that is a product of only one country, whether it’s Italy, Spain, or Greece.
Avoid olive oils that are blended with oils from various countries. Those are cheaper and not very flavorful.
Don’t leave out the capers! They are subtle but add a lot of flavor to the peas.
Make sure the onions are finely chopped, they will saute easily and will flavor the peas.
Simmer the peas only on low flame, for 5 to 8 minutes. Then add a little water, about 1/4 cup of water into the mixture to keep them moist. Continue to simmer for an additional 10 to 12 minutes, until the peas are tender to the bite, stirring occasionally.
Baby peas are best in frozen packages, not in a can. Canned peas are too soggy for this recipe.
You can find frozen baby peas in any supermarket. Do not buy the ones that come packaged for “steaming” or “microwave” use, because those are partially cooked and will not work with this recipe.
What to Serve With These Sauteed Sweet Peas…
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cutlets
- London Broil Steak Grilled To Perfection
- Fillet of Flounder Cutlets with a Twist
- The Perfect Filet Mignon Roast
- Parmesan Crusted Turkey Cutlets
- Perfect Veal Cutlet Milanese
These Sauteed Sweet Peas with Onions and Capers will make a very light vegetable dish and one you can serve all year round.
This is such a delicious side dish, and will be often requested! Your family and friends will LOVE this dish as much as we do!
Try this recipe! It won’t disappoint.
… Thanks for Pinning!
Additional TASTY Recipes For Sweet Peas!
- Baked Peas and Artichoke Hearts
- Pasta with Baby Peas
- Best Creamy Lemon Risotto with Baby Peas
- Peas and Mushrooms Recipe
- Spring Veal Stew with Baby Peas, Prosciutto, and Wine
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 (16-ounce) Frozen Baby Peas - rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole yellow onion - finely chopped
- 2 tsp. of capers ( we used Paesana, non pareil Capers)
- 1/4 cup of water, and extra if needed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- optional: 1 Tbsp. butter
- optional: dash of cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- In a 10-inch non-stick deep skillet, on low heat, heat olive oil and butter until butter melts. Add chopped onion and capers.
- Sauté onion and capers on low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add Frozen Peas, fresh parsley (cayenne pepper and butter), and 1/4 cup of water. Reduce the heat to simmer.
- Uncovered, simmer the peas on low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season with salt to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
- yields: 4 to to 6 servings
Yield:4 to 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 33 mgmgCarbohydrates: 12.5ggProtein: 4.3gg
Hello friends! Are you cooking with us? If you try our sauteed sweet peas with onions and capers, let us know and leave a comment along with a star rating on the recipe card!
Sharing your insights and experience will not only help our readers but will help up too!Have fun and include a photo on Instagram or on Pinterest; be sure to tag us @2sistersrecipes. We’d love to see what you cook! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
Happy and Healthy Cooking! 🙂