My family thinks this is by far, the best creamy lemon risotto with baby peas they have ever tasted. So I quickly took photos before they completely devoured it. Creamy textured arborio rice simmered with sweet baby peas, some broth, wine, fresh parsley and aromatic flavors from parmigiano-reggiano cheese and lemon juice, simply makes this dish to be the best creamy lemon risotto!
I love cooking this risotto for the family especially on those weeknights when I feel like making only a “one dish meal.”
Risotto is a dish we need to monitor closely while cooking because it needs constant stirring until the rice is fully cooked. It’s a labor of love for sure. No need for any fancy equipment to make this.
For this recipe, I prefer to use the superfino arborio extra rice instead of the regular arborio rice because it has a delicate texture to the rice and it cooks faster! Superfino in Italian means “super fine” making this risotto a little more rich and creamier.
I also used frozen baby green peas as the vegetable and added them only at the end, about 5 minutes before the rice was completely cooked. The green peas gave this risotto a lot of flavor while adding a tender crunch with every bite.
And, since we love the flavor of lemon in our food, I added in lemon juice and zest. Delish!
You can find superfino arborio rice in most Italian specialty sections and stores, but if you can’t find it you can substitute with regular arborio rice. The difference is you will have to use more broth, 1 cup of rice with 4 + 1/2 cups of broth and it will take a little longer to cook.
We love adding sweet baby peas with this risotto, but I am sure you can use any fresh vegetables that are in season. This Creamy Lemon Risotto with Baby Peas will not disappoint! Try it!
Let us know if you have a favorite risotto, we would love to hear about it!
Thanks for Pinning!
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken- simmering
- 1 + ½ cups Superfino Arborio Extra Rice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter- divided
- 1 medium onion- chopped
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest- divided
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 + ½ cups frozen baby peas- rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, and extra for serving
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- In a small size pot, pour in the broth and bring to a low boil. Set it nearby the other pot.
- Using a medium size pot, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter on low heat. Add onions and saute' for 5 minutes, until the onions become softened and translucent.
- Add rice and stir for about a minute. Pour in the wine, stirring frequently until rice completely absorbs the wine. Slowly stir in the lemon juice.
- Add simmering broth to the rice, one to two ladleful at a time. Continue to stir until rice completely absorbs all the liquid. Add another ladleful of broth. Continue this process until most of the broth is finished.
- Five minutes before you finish cooking the rice ( the rice should be al dente at this point), add in the baby peas. Cook and stir for 5 more minutes. Taste the rice, it should be tender to the bite.
- Stir in parmigiano cheese, fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon of butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Taste and here is where you can add more lemon juice (about 1 tablespoon) if desired.
- Serve immediately and top with some extra parmigiano grated cheese. Garnish with lemon zest on top.
- Serves 4 to 6