Risotto con Funghi is made with arborio rice that is simmered with white mushrooms, prosecco, chicken broth, onions and parmesan cheese, until the rice is tender to the bite. You can use any kind of mushrooms with this recipe, such as bella, shitaki, or even porcini mushrooms. Risotto con Funghi is a delicious, high protein meal your family will love!
Risottos are great in the sense that you can flavor it with any vegetable you prefer, making this an ideal meal for all vegetarians. And it’s even perfect for meatless Mondays.
We are very fond of this risotto with mushrooms recipe, simply because it is so easy to assemble and very versatile in many ways.
All you need is a little patience to make this risotto or any risotto, but it’s definitely worth it!
The winter days are long and cold and sometimes a good pasta dish or risotto is a great meal just by itself. You can serve risotto with mushrooms with a light appetizer or even a simple green salad.
Can we pair this dish to a fine wine? Of course we can!
We recommend a full bodied red wine like a Chianti from Florence, Tuscany. The wine is very smooth on the palate, and has a rich fruity flavor. Risotto con Funghi is a dish that is restauranto-quality worthy! Try it!
Risotto con Funghi (Mushrooms)
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 4 to 6
Risotto con Funghi is made with arborio rice that is simmered with white mushrooms, prosecco, chicken broth, onions and parmesan cheese, until the rice is tender to the bite. Risotto con Funghi is a delicious, high protein meal your family will love!
- 1+ ½ cups of Arborio Rice
- 32 ounce Chicken Stock, All Natural
- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ cup Prosecco , or very dry white wine
- 8 ounce package of white mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1+ ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Use a small (1 quart) pot. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, sauté until garlic turns golden.
- Add sliced mushrooms and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the prosecco or white wine and reduce heat, simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Using a medium size (3 quart) pot. Heat 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add onions and sauté until they soften or become translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add Arborio rice and cook while stirring often for 2 minutes. Pour mushroom mixture into the rice mixture.
- And re-use the small pot again, to avoid having to clean another pot. Turn ON the heat once again, and open a carton of Chicken Stock. Pour chicken stock into the small pot and bring to boil.
- Add some broth to the rice and mushroom mixture. Stir often until broth is absorbed.
- Repeat process, adding small amounts of broth each time to the rice until all the broth has been absorbed.
- The cooking process takes about 20 minutes to complete.
- Taste the rice. It should be tender to the bite. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When rice is fully cooked. Turn OFF heat. Add the final tablespoon of butter and grated parmigiano cheese. Mix well to make a creamy risotto. And, serve!
- Serves 4 to 6