Easy Lemon Cream Pie (gluten-free)
Easy Lemon Cream Pie is made with fresh lemon juice, Greek yogurt, egg yolks, and condensed milk. Baked with a gluten-free gingersnap crust, and topped with sweet whipped cream, the smooth lemon filling is dreamy in every bite! A perfect way to end the summer.
Easy Lemon Dessert for Family and Friends…
If you love lemon-flavored desserts, then you’ll love this recipe. This one happens to be the easiest lemon cream pie you can ever make!
Best of all, each serving contains 6.3 grams of protein.
We decided to make this pie with gluten-free ginger snap cookies, for our friends the other night.
The result? This pie was devoured in minutes! Everyone raved about it and even asked me for the recipe.
A pie that is very light, creamy, and loaded with fresh lemon juice – gives you that zesty-tart flavor, topped with a sweet homemade whipped cream to balance it out… is wonderful!
Other Cream Pies vs Our Lemon Cream Pie…
- Most traditional cream pies are made with double the amount of condensed milk, adding in additional sugars, plus cornstarch and other additives.
- Our lemon pie filling contains some protein in every slice.
- Plus, no food coloring, and no cream cheese, heavy creams, or gelatin were added (or needed.)
How to make this Easy Lemon Cream Pie?
This easy pie recipe is made in 3 parts. (*full recipe card on the bottom of this page!)
1.First Step: Make the pie crust…
Crush the cookies in a mini-chopper, and blend them with some butter or coconut oil and some brown sugar. Firmly press it on the bottom and up the sides of your pie-baking dish. Bake for a few minutes to set it.
2. Second Step: Make this easy lemon filling…
The filling is made with 5 ingredients in one bowl. It is a blend of lemon juice, lemon zest, egg yolks, Greek Yogurt, vanilla extract, and sweetened condensed milk.
Then baked in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and allow it to cool completely.
3. Third Step: Make our homemade whipped cream and spread it on top.
Garnish with a few slices of lemon on top. Your pie is ready to serve! 😉
Questions and Answers…
1. Can we bake this pie in a different crust? Yes, you can use your favorite already crust, frozen too. Just follow the directions on the package for baking.
2. Can we make this pie “dairy-free”? Yes, you can use Dairy-Free Sweetened Coconut Condensed Milk, and plant-based yogurt, both are available at most supermarkets or on amazon.
3. Is there dairy-free whipped cream? Yes, you can whip organic heavy coconut cream (not coconut milk) for the topping.
4. Can you substitute whipped cream for meringue? Yes, you can. But we prefer fresh whipped cream. It balances out the tartness of the lemon cream filling.
5. Can we freeze the pie? Yes, but first, bake it as directed. Allow the pie to cool completely, then wrap it with clear wrap, and a sheet of aluminum on top to double-seal it. Freeze pie without the whipped topping. It freezes beautifully and for up to one month.
Tips for Success!
- If the pie is too warm, it will melt the whipped cream on top.
- It’s best for the pie to be completely cooled (and better chilled) before it is topped with whipped cream.
- It’s best to make the whipped cream the day you plan to serve the pie.
This creamy and delicious lemon cream pie is relatively healthy compared to other recipes out there.
A great dessert to end the summer! Serve this to your family and friends and they will love it!
Try it, and let us know…
Additional Lemon Desserts…
- Lemon Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Bakery-Style Lemon Raspberry Cake
- Italian Lemon Cookies with Lemon Glaze
- Lemon Thyme Tea Cookies
- Lemon Pound Cake
Easy Lemon Cream Pie
Easy Lemon Cream Pie is loaded with a smooth lemon filling that's made with 5 ingredients. Baked with a gluten-free gingersnap crust, and topped with sweet whipped cream, this easy dessert is lemony-delicious in every bite!
For Pie Crust:
- 1 + 1/2 cups crushed ginger snap cookie crumbs (about 24 little cookies)
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter - melted
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
For the Pie Filling:
- 1 can (14-ounce) (396 grams) of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (142 grams) Greek (O-Fat ) Yogurt
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract (or 1 tsp. of vanilla extract)
- 1 Tbsp. of powdered sugar, to sweeten and thicken
For the Pie Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190C). In a small mixing bowl, stir crushed cookie crumbs with brown sugar and melted butter.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake the crust for about 5 to 8 minutes, until it is just beginning to golden. Remove and set the pie to cool the crust completely on the wire rack.
For the Lemon Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, blend medium-speed, condensed milk with egg yolks, for about 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and Greek yogurt, and blend for about 1 minute,
- Pour in the lemon juice and lemon zest and blend for 1 minute, until well combined. Slowly pour the mixture into the crust.
- BAKE on the middle rack, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the pie is golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool completely on a wire rack. Then cover with clear wrap and chill for at least 3 hours or more to set, or overnight is best!
Directions to make the Whipped Cream:
- In a mixing bowl, pour the heavy cream and beat on high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add the extract and powdered sugar and continue to beat the cream until it forms stiff peaks, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Cover and chill until you are ready to spread onto the pie.
- Yields: 8 to 10 servings
Yield:8 to 10 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 15gCarbohydrates: 29.9gFiber: .6gSugar: 23.6gProtein: 6.3g
Thanks for PINNING!
If you make our easy lemon cream pie, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating! We’d love to hear from you.
Sharing your insights and experiences helps everyone who reads them, and helps us too!
For more delicious dessert ideas and recipes…follow us on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and TWITTER!
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get our recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!