Lemon Pound Cake
Have you ever tried Starbucks Lemon Loaf? Our moist and delicious Lemon Pound Cake is loaded with a tangy lemon flavor, and topped with a luscious sweet-lemon icing. This delicious lemon dessert is made easily in one bowl and baked in less than one hour will quickly become a favorite.
You could say this is a copycat of Starbucks lemon loaf. But hey, …our recipe is so darn close and it’s even better in so many ways.
We adore lemon desserts, and after a few attempts to get this lemon pound cake just right, I can honestly say, that you too will enjoy this recipe.
It is best to serve it at room temperature. But you can easily serve it chilled if kept in the refrigerator.
We love it both ways! 😉
This recipe is made with simple ingredients… and you most likely already have them on hand, like fresh lemons, eggs, flour, sugar, and extra virgin olive oil, just to name a few.
Recently, we made our gluten-free easy lemon cream pie that’s loaded with fresh lemon juice. It is so good and lemony-delicious – it won’t disappoint.
And this pound cake is a winner!
Why do we love this lemon pound cake?
- It’s not a complicated recipe to make. It is very easy.
- All the ingredients are blended in one bowl (for easy clean-up) in a few minutes.
- It is baked for about 50 minutes or so, and ready to serve as soon as it cools.
- Its moist and lightly-sweet texture will capture your attention.
- We LOVE the “fresh lemon flavor” in this pound cake.
The lemon icing is perfect on top.
BEST OF ALL? One slice is only 305 calories, rather than 470 with Starbucks lemon loaf. (a win-win!) 🙂
How To Make our Easy Lemon Pound Cake?
For our recipe, you will need a few of the following kitchen utensils:
- one mixing bowl, a few measuring cups, and spoons
- an electric hand mixer, or a good whisk
- one 9 x 5-inch loaf pan
- parchment paper or cooking spray
- and of course, a spatula
Now, the Ingredients for our Lemon Pound Cake…
For our easy recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- extra virgin olive oil
- granulated sugar
- unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- optional: limoncello
- fresh lemon juice, and zest
- sour cream
- baking powder, salt, and baking soda
- all-purpose flour
- For the LEMON ICING: powdered sugar and lemon juice
There are 3 steps to making this our lemon pound cake…
1. First, blend all the ingredients in one mixing bowl.
2. Next, pour the batter into a prepared 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake in the oven for about 50 to 60 minutes, and when a toothpick comes out clean.
3. Finally, when you remove the cake from the pan, allow it to cool completely before spreading the lemon icing on top.
*QUICK TIP: You can place the pound cake into the refrigerator to help speed up the cooling process before you spread the icing.
Fresh Lemon Juice vs Bottled Lemon Juice…
Fresh lemon juice is always better, and here’s why:
Fresh Lemon Juice: We prefer fresh lemon juice with our desserts. It always gives a fresh lemon flavor without bitterness. Plus, fresh lemon juice contains significantly more vitamin C than bottled.
Bottled Lemon Juice: There are always additives and even preservatives in bottled lemon juice. Plus, it is more sour than tart, and it has a lingering chemical aftertaste that’s quite unpleasant for most of us.
Questions and Answers, along with some Tips:
- Can we freeze lemon pound cake? Yes! You can freeze our pound cake. But hold off on icing it. It’s best to freeze it without the icing. Just secure the wrapping, and even double-wrap it tightly. It will freeze beautifully and for up to one month.
- How to thaw? When frozen, allow the cake to “thaw” on your counter before serving. Then you can make the lemon-icing and spread it onto the pound cake before you serve.
- What if you don’t have limoncello? Don’t worry! You can substitute it with lemon extract.
- Can we make it without butter? Yes. This recipe calls for extra virgin olive oil, not butter. Italians have been baking with olive oil for years. EVOO will give this pound cake a healthy fat and a wonderful, rich flavor.
- What if we don’t have olive oil? If you don’t have any olive oil, you can use vegetable oil or canola oil in its place.
- How long will it stay fresh? This pound cake will stay fresh on your counter, covered with clear wrap, for up to 3 days.
- Can we make it Gluten-Free? Yes, you can use GF all-purpose flour, but keep in mind, that it may slightly change the texture of this pound cake.
Don’t forget to save, tag, or pin it! Thanks!
Additional Lemon Desserts… try these!
- Lemon Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Easy Lemon Cream Pie (Gluten-Free)
- Bakery-Style Lemon Raspberry Cake
- Italian Lemon Cookies with Lemon Glaze
- Lemon Thyme Tea Cookies
Lemon Pound Cake
Our Lemon Pound Cake is moist, delicious, and loaded with lemon flavor, just like our favorite Starbucks lemon loaf. This delightful dessert will quickly become a favorite, made in one bowl and topped with sweet-lemon icing.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (200g) of granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter - melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp. Limoncello (or lemon extract)
- 4 Tbsp. (1/4 cup) of lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (123g) of sour cream
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 + 1/2 cups (180g) of all-purpose flour
- 1 + 1/2 cups (172g) of powdered sugar, and more as needed for desired consistency.
- 2 to 3 tsp. lemon juice
For the LEMON POUND CAKE:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C). Prepare one 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or lightly spray with cooking oil and dust with flour. Set aside.
2. In One large mixing bowl, pour in the extra virgin olive oil, sugar, and eggs. Blend with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes. Slowing incorporate the melted butter and continue to blend until well combined.
3. Add vanilla extract, limoncello, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Blend for a few seconds to incorporate.
4. Next, add in the salt, baking soda, and baking powder and blend for one minute. Finally, add in the flour and continue to blend until the mixture is creamy and smooth about 2 minutes.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. And transfer to the center rack of the oven.
6. Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes, and when a toothpick comes out clean, the pound cake is done. Best to check on the cake at 50 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and allow the pound cake to cool in the pan for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then remove from the pan and allow the cake to cool completely before spreading on top with lemon icing.
FOR LEMON ICING:
1. In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Stir or blend until all lumps are dissolved into a creamy smooth icing.
2. Spoon over the cooled lemon pound cake and spread it evenly on top.
Yields: 8 to 9 serving
Keep in mind, that all ovens vary. Our pound cake was baked in 50 minutes. It's best to check with a toothpick, and when inserted it comes out clean.
Yield:8 to 9 servings
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 15.1gCarbohydrates: 39.4gFiber: .6gSugar: 18gProtein: 4.5g
Tried our recipe for lemon pound cake? Let us know and leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you! Everyone will benefit from who reads them, especially if you adapt this recipe for any special diet or allergies.
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Subscribe Box’ and be the first to get our recipes “FREE” every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too.
For more delicious ideas and recipes…follow us on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and TWITTER.
Have a great day! … and thanks for stopping by!
Happy Baking! 🙂
xo anna and liz
i love citrus flavours especially lemon. this sounds like a winner!
It’s really a delicious recipe Sherry. Hope you’ll make it soon! Have a great weekend!