Spaghetti with Shrimp Marinara. Spaghetti is cooked to a perfect al-dente texture, then it’s gently tossed with a delicious shrimp marinara sauce made with fresh shrimp, peeled tomatoes, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, and hot pepper flakes. This Spaghetti with Shrimp Marinara is simple, flavorful and ready in 15 minutes! Elegant enough to serve on weekends and simple enough for weeknights!
I enjoy cooking this one often, simply because it’s a relatively easy dish to make and I know how much it pleases my husband.
The garlic and red hot pepper give the shrimps just enough heat that complements the sweetness of the tomatoes, while it makes the shrimp more flavorful. It’s not a fancy dish, nor pretentious, but definitely a delicious one! And it makes a huge impression when serving guests at a dinner party.
If you love shrimp and are planning to have seafood on Christmas Eve, you may consider serving this Spaghetti with Shrimp Marinara as part of your main course. You can easily prepare the shrimp marinara sauce and set it aside, while you boil the pasta.
Then toss them together and serve. Easy-peasy!
Here’s a Cook’s Tip:
When we buy canned tomatoes we always look for ones that have the label that says “product of Italy” on the can. We found that the best tasting canned tomatoes come from San Marzano, a region in Italy. You may find these in most supermarkets.
It makes a huge difference in flavor when cooking with these particular tomatoes.
And, for this recipe, we used the peeled tomatoes, instead of crushed tomatoes. We prefer to give the shrimp marinara sauce a plump juicy flavor and texture, giving it a fabulous savory taste!
Enjoy and Buon Appetito!
Quick Cooking Directions: (or jump to the bottom of the post for a full recipe card)
In a large skillet, sauté olive oil and garlic for a few minutes over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes.
Next, add chopped tomatoes and fresh parsley. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns pink, stirring occasionally. Add basil.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat. Cover and set aside.
Cook the spaghetti, drain and toss with the shrimp marinara and serve!
…Thanks for Pinning!
More delicious and easy recipes for Seafood, try these:
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp - peeled, deveined
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves - sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can peeled tomatoes- drained, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- In a large skillet, sauté olive oil and garlic together for about 2 to 3 minutes over medium to low heat, or until softened. Add red pepper flakes, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chopped fresh parsley.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until shrimp turns pink, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat. Cover and set aside.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Toss in the spaghetti and cook spaghetti until al dente, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of boiling water and set it aside. Drain spaghetti. Return spaghetti back to the pot. Toss in 2 tablespoons of butter. And, add in the shrimp marinara and toss to mix. Then add in some reserved water a little at a time slowly. Toss together. Serve.
- Serves 4