Death by Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are loaded with zucchini, cocoa powder and chocolate chips make them super moist in the center, with a rich chocolate flavor and melted-gooey dark chocolate chips in every bite. To say these chocolate zucchini muffins are decadent – would be an understatement!
The first reaction you’ll get from these double chocolate muffins will be O-M-G!
These Death by Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are SO good, you will want to serve them as a dessert, rather than muffins.
Maybe you’ll even consider making them for the holiday.
In our house we love chocolate. In fact, I have to eat a piece of chocolate every day – and I mean every day. No kidding.
So when I was craving something chocolaty, I spotted this recipe and decided to try it out.
Loaded with zucchini, unsweetened cocoa, bitter-sweet chocolate chips, vanilla, butter, eggs, and flour are simple ingredients in my pantry made it super easy to whip up and bake in minutes.
I enjoy making all kinds of treats, muffins, and loaves of bread especially my Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and always use sour cream in my recipes to get the moistness from them.
Surprisingly, I never realized that zucchini would do the same trick.
Zucchini adds an incredible amount of moist texture to this recipe, that is completely hidden in these muffins, and since the cocoa powder and the bitter-sweet chocolate chips take over, no one will ever know!
I usually keep zucchini in my fridge, all year long. So adding zucchini to this recipe was a no-brainer.
Plus, adding fresh vegetables to a muffin recipe is always a bonus, especially when serving to kids.
The recipe calls for 2 cups of zucchini – which makes these muffins a little healthier!
We adore everything and anything made with chocolate from cookies to cakes but, they’ll all have to move over! Simply because these Death by Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are by far the BEST chocolate muffins I have ever had!
Death by Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are amazingly light and decadent alone.
But if you consider making them as the main dessert, simply coat with your choice of powdered sugar, chocolate ganache, or chocolate frosting!
Trust me, you’ll take these muffins to a whole new level.
Chocolate zucchini muffins go perfect with coffee, tea, or milk. Enjoy them as a rewarding treat or to satisfy a chocolate craving.
Best of all – the kids will never know the hidden secret ingredient. You have to try these Death by Chocolate Zucchini Muffins and let me know how they turn out for you!
Looking for more muffins with a hidden vegetable inside? Try our Cinnamon Sweet Potato Muffins, and our Lemon Zucchini Poppy Seed Muffins! These muffins are fantastic too!
Ingredients Needed for Death by Chocolate Zucchini Muffins:
Cooks Notes and Tips:
1. Grating zucchini takes too long and is tedious work. Rather than grating them manually, I used my mini food processor and turned zucchini into tiny pieces. You can find the mini-food processor here on Amazon.
2. Also, 2 medium zucchinis gave me the 2 cups I needed for this recipe.
3. No need to squeeze out the water from the zucchini. For this recipe, these muffins need the excess liquid in the zucchini to make them super moist in texture.
4. Store zucchini muffins in a sealed container at room temperature, up to 2 days. Best to keep them in the refrigerator, this will stay fresh longer, up to one week, if they last that long.
5. Finally, allow muffins to cool completely before freezing. They freeze beautifully.
Another great recipe to try is our Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread! It never disappoints!
…Thanks for Pinning!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups packed grated zucchini ( 2 medium-size)
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (65% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the muffin pan with paper cupcake liners Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg and egg yolk until smooth, about 1 minute. Add (sightly cooled) melted butter and vanilla extract and continue to whisk until smooth. Whisk in the zucchini, and slowly add in the flour mixture, until all the flour mixture is well incorporated, about 2 minutes or 50 strokes. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop, pour into the muffin cups evenly and fill them to the top.
- BAKE for 28 to 33 minutes, some ovens vary, therefore check on them after 25 minutes. Muffins are done when the toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Makes: 12 chocolate zucchini muffins