Skip the pancakes and waffles and try this Easy Hash Browns Breakfast and make your weekend mornings a little more scrumptious!
Buttery, crispy hash browns topped with golden caramelized onions and served with a fried egg next to it, is amazingly delicious! A tasty yet simple recipe, you’ll want to make this easy hash browns dish a weekend tradition for the entire family.
With only 2 steps, you can sit down and enjoy a delicious breakfast in about 15 minutes. Enjoy your coffee or tea with breakfast and feel good about it.
My husband loves to order his favorite breakfast while on our road trips to NY, which is always fried eggs with hash browns smothered with onions, and it’s at the Waffle House.
So I decided to make it for my family. And to my surprise, my girls loved it so much, that they recommended I share this recipe.
Caramelized onions make so many dishes flavorful including these hash browns. It lends itself well to so many recipes.
So why not make your breakfast a little more flavorful and add a fun spin to it with these hash browns smothered with onions!
Cook’s Notes and Tips for Success!
Frozen packages of hash browns usually contain salt and other seasonings. So you may not need to add additional seasonings to them.
No need to thaw the hash browns for this recipe. However, before you open the bag, if you notice they are not loose and possibly frozen in large chunks, simply bounce the bag on your counter a few times to loosen them before opening the bag. This will make it easier to pull out the amount desired.
Keep in mind, that this hash brown recipe will make about 3 to 4 servings. Therefore, you can adjust the recipe and make more or less as needed.
If you prefer, go ahead and add a side of bacon or breakfast sausage, I won’t mind. 🙂
Tip for the perfect fried egg: make sure your skillet is very hot and has been greased with a little butter or oil. This will ensure the egg yolk will stay in place and will cook up perfectly.
Frozen hash browns are sauteed on the stovetop with some olive oil, butter, and black pepper until golden brown and crispy.
Then serve it with some caramelized onions on top and a fried egg and make this breakfast easy and delicious!
You’ll wonder why you haven’t made this before?
Don’t forget to PIN and SHARE! … Thanks!
MORE TASTY BREAKFAST IDEAS and RECIPES!
- Spinach and Egg Breakfast Casserole.
- Crustless Spinach and Cheese Quiche
- Breakfast Parfait with Greek Yogurt.
- Avocado Toast for Breakfast.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 6 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 ex-large onion - chopped
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - divided
- 4 Tbsp. butter - divided
- fresh cracked black pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- a few eggs, for frying
- In a large 12-inch deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat.
- Place the frozen hash browns into the large skillet. And with a wooden spoon, spread them into a thick, but single layer. Season with some fresh cracked black pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- In a second medium-size skillet. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Toss in the chopped onion and saute onions, until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with some salt and a dash of cayenne pepper. When onions are done. Turn off the heat.
- In the meantime, use a spatula to help flip over the hash browns, and in small batches. No need to flip the entire thing. Then toss in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter on top and drizzle with an additional 1 tablespoon of olive oil over them. Continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, until they are golden brown.
- Serve hash brown on plates and top each one with caramelized onions.
- Fry up some eggs using the same large skillet. When eggs are done, transfer one egg or more to each plate and serve.
- Yields: 3 to 4 servings
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 27gCarbohydrates: 14.9gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 2.6gProtein: 7.3g
In case you missed it…
MOST POPULAR POSTS THIS WEEK:
- Little Neck Clams in Wine and Garlic Broth.
- Mom’s Best Mashed Potato Pie.
- Authentic Tzatziki Sauce
- Best Lobster Sauce
- London Broil Steak Grilled to Perfection