Cucumbers and Vidalia Onion Salad is a crunchy, refreshing cucumber and Vidalia onion salad tossed with a sweet apple cider vinaigrette and some dill! Makes an easy summer salad that is not only light and very tasty but also low in calories and low in fat!
My family was asking for a light vegetable salad with dinner, so I decided to make this one and revive it from our archives. But first, there’s a little story about how this salad came about.
As a young teenager, I remember going to the local deli just to get a container of the cucumber and onion salad. We lived in a neighborhood where German and Italian Deli were commonly found.
This cucumber and Vidalia onion salad were so different from the typical Italian salads I always had at our house, so buying this salad at the local deli was such a refreshing treat.
It’s one of those easy salad recipes you can make ahead of time, even one or two days.
Cucumber salads are popular during summer months but they are terrific to serve for any season! Perfect to add to any luncheon or dinner with family and friends.
And it’s a wonderful way to use up some of those garden cucumbers too!
The apple cider vinaigrette is a simple one. It’s made with apple cider vinegar, some sugar, water, and dill. The secret to balancing out some of the acidity is to simply add some water and sugar to the vinaigrette and let it sit for a minute or two.
Ideally, the sugar marinates a little and offers a subtly sweet and tart taste to the vinaigrette. A delicious and great tip!
Give this healthy Cucumber and Vidalia Onion Salad a try. I think you’ll love it as much as we do!
Some ingredients you may need:
HERE’s a TIP: Slice cucumbers and Vidalia onions with a mandolin slicer. The mandolin slicer is not only convenient, but it will also definitely save you some time. Otherwise, you can slice the cucumbers by hand.
Please PIN it ! and SHARE !! … and thanks for stopping by!
More Tasty Salads with Cucumbers!
- 2 medium Cucumbers - rinsed, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 large Vidalia Onion - peeled, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black peppercones
- 1/2 tsp. organic dill weed
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (Optional)
- Slice cucumbers and onions with the mandolin slicer. The mandolin slicer can save you some time. Otherwise, carefully slice cucumber about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer to a large bowl.
Make the Dressing:
- In a bowl, combine apple cider vinegar, water, salt, fresh cracked pepper, sugar, and dill. Set it aside for a minute or two.
- Pour the dressing into the cucumber and onion bowl. Toss until well combined.
- Cover with clear wrap and chill for at least one hour before serving.
- Makes about 1 and 1/2 quarts.
- Serves 6 to 8
If you make our cucumbers and Vidalia onion salad, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating! We’d love to hear from you. Sharing your insights and experiences helps everyone who reads them, and helps us too!
And, don’t forget to enter your email in our ‘Weekly Newsletter Box’ and be the first to get new recipes every time we post, and reminders of great older ones too!
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
Happy and Healthy! 🙂
xo Anna and Liz
2 sisters recipes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Amazon links are designed to provide a means for sites to earn commission fees by linking to Amazon.com and with No Extra Cost to You! These fees help us pay for web hosting and services for our blog. We truly appreciate and thank you for all your support.