Mom’s Easy Potato Omelet is called “Frittata di Patate” in Italy. Light and delicious, Mom’s easy potato omelet can be made in just a few minutes with chopped potatoes, chopped onions, eggs, salt and black pepper. With these simple ingredients, you can whip up a quick meal that is perfect to serve for breakfast, brunch, and even as a light dinner!
Nothing fancy about this omelet, just a cheap and easy dish to whip up and serve. Tender and flavorful potatoes and onions are chopped into small pieces and sauteed in a skillet for a few minutes then mixed with scrambled eggs to make this omelet a very light – yet satisfying dish.
On weekends, my son would always request his favorite breakfast, this easy potato omelet. Of course, as a mom to 4 fussy kids, I became a short order cook years ago, making pancakes for the girls, espresso for my husband, and whipping up this potato omelet, especially for my son.
Oh… what a mother does for love!
This is an old recipe from our archives I decided to revive. It’s an oldie but still a goodie!!
Mom’s Easy Potato Omelet makes a wonderful light meal without a lot of fuss! And a dish that won’t disappoint! Another light dish you may want to try is our Eggs with Tomatoes and Cheese.
Try them both!
Mom's Easy Potato Omelet
Author: 2 sisters recipes
Recipe type: Breakfast / Brunch
Mom's Easy Potato Omelet is made with potatoes and onions and is ready in minutes! Makes a delicious and satisfying meal to serve anytime!
- 2 Idaho potatoes - peeled, chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil - divided
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 eggs
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes into small pieces.
- In a medium non-stick skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and butter on medium heat. Add chopped potatoes, chopped onions, some salt and pepper. Lower the heat, stir and cover, simmer for a few minutes until the potatoes are golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking. In a medium, bowl, scramble the eggs. When the potatoes are tender to the fork, remove and add the potatoes into the egg mixture and mix until well combined.
- Using the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon of oil, and heat on low heat for 1 minute.
- Add the egg and potato mixture and simmer for a few minutes, until the bottom is golden brown. Then gently flip the omelet over and continue to cook the other side for about 2 to 4 minutes more, until the bottom of the omelet is golden brown and fully cooked. Remove and cut into triangle slices and serve.
- Serves 4
Keep in mind, the smaller you make the potato pieces, the faster they cook up!
Hey friends! If you make our mom’s easy potato omelet, let us know and leave a comment with a star rating below! Have fun and snap a photo and hashtag it #2sistersrecipes.
We’d love to see what you cook! 🙂
and… THANKS again for Pinning!!