Easy Chicken Casserole (Cordon Bleu)
Easy Chicken Casserole (Cordon Bleu) is our take on the popular chicken cordon bleu, only it’s made in a casserole. Loaded with your favorite flavors, such as ham, and creamy-cheese sauce, topped with a crispy-crunchy panko and prosciutto topping. YUM!
This delicious recipe is great to serve for a gathering, game night, or a weeknight dinner.
Reasons to make this Easy Chicken Casserole…
- This is a fun recipe, simply because you layer all the layers in a casserole dish, instead of rolling up each individual chicken cutlet or stuffing each breast.
- Makes an ideal dinner that can be prepared ahead and then baked for dinner.
- Perfect for serving guests and family gatherings.
- Made with simple and staple ingredients.
How to make Easy Chicken Casserole (Cordon Bleu)?
There are 4-easy-steps to make our chicken casserole; but first, you need the ingredients:
Ingredients for this recipe…
CHICKEN: choose chicken tenders, chicken tenderloins, or chicken breasts for this recipe.
CREAM SAUCE: butter, half & half (or light cream) are needed to make this easy cream sauce.
SEASONINGS: salt, black pepper, and Dijon mustard are added to the cream sauce to flavor this dish.
CHEESES: choose a package of shredded Swiss & Gruyere cheese blend, and you will need some grated Parmesan cheese. They are added to the cream sauce to give it that delicious-cheesy flavor and creamy texture.
HAM: any Deli ham can be used. You can definitely use any leftover baked ham from the night before can be used for this recipe and only needs to be cut into small pieces or cubes.
BROTH: either chicken or vegetable is needed to increase the cream sauce, without adding additional fat and calories.
PANKO BREAD CRUMBS: choose Japanese-style bread crumbs to give the topping its crunchy-crispy texture.
PROSCIUTTO: is chopped and tossed on top as part of the crispy topping.
Directions to make our easy chicken cordon bleu casserole: (*full recipe card below)
Step 1: Layer the cooked chicken in the casserole dish.
Step 2: Scatter a layer of chopped ham over the chicken.
Step 3: Make the cream sauce. Pour directly over the layers in the casserole dish and spread to cover evenly.
4th and Final Step: Sprinkle on top with grated Parmesan cheese, then with the panko breadcrumbs mixture, and finally with chopped prosciutto on top.
Bake in a preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes. To Brown Panko Topping: for the final baking time, change oven temperature to Roast (or Broil), and broil for 2 to 4 minutes to brown on top.
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Variations to make this easy chicken casserole…
There are a few options to make this easy chicken cordon bleu casserole:
1. You can use already cooked rotisserie chicken and chop or shred it into pieces.
2. Buy either 1.5 to 2 pounds of chicken breast, cutlets, or tenderloins, and you can easily cook them in a skillet on the stovetop for a few minutes until the center is no longer pink. Then shred.
3. You can also “boil” raw chicken until fully cooked, and drained, then shred the chicken into pieces using 2 forks to pull them apart.
Important Notes and Tips…
- This recipe is a great way to use your “leftover” ham from the night before. Be sure to cube it into small pieces.
- *Keep in mind, that cheeses, ham, and prosciutto contain a lot of salt, so if someone is sensitive to sodium, you can omit adding any salt.
- Plus, you will not need the entire package (of 12 ounces) of the blended cheeses. I used only 2+ 1/2 cups… and it was enough.
- Also, I used 6 slices of prosciutto, but if you want you can use the entire 4-ounce package of sliced prosciutto.
- If your cooked chicken happens to be “already seasoned,” then reduce the amount of salt to only 1/4 teaspoon.
- With this recipe, you can use gluten-free panko bread crumbs.
Questions and Answers…
1. What if we don’t have any cream on hand? You can blend melted butter with 1 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of flour, and simmer over low heat until thickened. Then follow the remaining directions.
2. What if we don’t have any chicken or vegetable broth on hand? Then you can increase the amount of light cream to 2 cups.
3. Can we make this casserole ahead? Yes, make the casserole one day before, bake it, and allow it to cool before covering it with aluminum foil. Then chill it. Remove from the fridge at least one hour before reheating.
4. How to reheat this casserole? Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C), and place the casserole, covered, in the oven, for about 20 to 25 minutes, until it is heated thoroughly.
5. Can we freeze it? Bake it first, and allow it to cool completely. Then cover it with aluminum foil and freeze. It will freeze well for up to 3 weeks.
This easy recipe is so fabulous – your family and friends will go nuts over the flavors in this dish!
Trust me on this one. 😉 Try this recipe…
Additional Recipes for Chicken…
- Rice and Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese
- Lemon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Chicken Smothered with Marsala Mushrooms & Parsley
- Chicken Thighs with Lemon Garlic & Thyme
- Crispy Stuffed Chicken Breasts
In case you missed it…
Most Popular Recipes of the Week:
Easy Chicken Casserole (Cordon Bleu)
Easy Chicken Casserole (Cordon Bleu) is our take on the popular and favorite recipe of chicken cordon bleu, only it's in an easy casserole. An easy dinner and one your family and friends will enjoy!
- 1.5 pounds (up to 2 pounds) of boneless, skinless chicken tenders or breasts - cooked, chopped, or shredded
- 6 ounces of sliced ham - chopped
- olive oil cooking spray
FOR CHEESE SAUCE:
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup of half and half (or light cream)
- 1 Tbsp. coarse ground Dijon Mustard
- 2 + 1/2 cups of packed shredded Swiss & Gruyere cheese blend
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 7 turns of fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup (low-sodium) chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp. of grated parmesan cheese
FOR THE CRUNCHING TOPPING:
- 2 Tbsp. butter - melted
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 6 slices of prosciutto - chopped
- fresh chopped parsley, as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C).
- Lightly spray a 9 x 12 baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- Shred or chop your cooked chicken and transfer it to the prepared baking dish. Spread the chicken into an even layer.
- Scatter chopped ham over the layer of chicken. Set it nearby.
MAKE the CREAM SAUCE:
1. In a medium pot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and pour in the cream. Heat the cream until heated through and it starts to thicken.
2. Add the Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper.
3. Toss in the blend of shredded cheese. Stir on medium-low heat until the cheese completely melts and the sauce thickens.
4. Pour in the chicken broth and stir, cooking until its heated thoroughly.
5. Next, pour the entire cheese sauce over the layers of ham and chicken in the baking dish.
6. Sprinkle on top with grated Parmesan cheese. Set it nearby.
MAKE The CRISPY TOPPING:
1. In a small bowl, toss together 2 tablespoons of melted butter with panko breadcrumbs, until well combined.
2. Scatter the panko breadcrumbs over the casserole dish.
3. Then scatter on top with chopped prosciutto.
DIRECTIONS TO BAKE:
1. Bake in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes. Next, change the temperature to Roast, (or Broil) and roast the casserole for additional 3 to 5 minutes, until the top is crispy golden brown.
2. Remove from oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Then serve.
Serves: 6 to 8
Vitamin D = 37 mcg
Calcium = 457 mg
Iron = 3 mg
Potassium = 457 mg
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573Total Fat: 32.3gCarbohydrates: 17.4gFiber: .9gSugar: 2.9gProtein: 50.9g
Thanks for Pinning!
Hello friends! If you make our delicious Easy Chicken Casserole (Cordon Bleu) please tell us and leave a comment and a star rating below!
Have fun and snap a photo and share it on Instagram and on Pinterest be sure to hashtag #2sistersrecipes, or tag us!
Plus, NEVER MISS our Recipes! Subscribe to 2 Sisters Recipes and get all new posts “FREE,” and reminders of some great older ones too!
Follow us on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and TWITTER!
thanks for stopping by!
xo anna and liz